• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

Well, even with such elaborate set piece routines in place, they often fail to score. Which is of course better than always failing to score, but still I am not convinced. In the article it is claimed that approximately 5 % of direct free kicks result in goals. But it says nothing on the conversion rate of Sheffield United's passing moves from free kicks. And hitting a free kick from out wide between the back line and the goalkeeper for someone to get on the end of is not exactly revolutionary.

Open-Play.png

Set-pieces.png

Interesting stat. Still I want Trippier and Lamela to take them from our next game. Freekicks will be enough for Eriksen, who haven't assisted or scored from them for more than a year now.

Pattern of play for Goals/Attempts

Set Piece goals/attempts are those where the ball starts from a dead ball situation such as a corner, a free kick, a penalty or a Throw-in and results in a shot before the phase of play has broken down into open play.

The exact point at which it becomes open play is usually clear but set pieces which are cleared and then the ball is put straight back into the penalty area are still deemed to be part of the set piece as the defending team is still positioned to deal with the set play.

Opta's definition (as set out above) is open to much interpretation.

Again I challenge you or anyone to list the five goals we have supposedly scored from corners this season. If they are including Kane's fluke then it just shows what a nonsense this definition is.

They talk about our lack of threat from corners, and cite some interesting finds in the latest episode of The Extra Inch. Worth a listen!

https://www.thefightingrooster.co.uk/2017/12/the-extra-inch-s2e03-the-mid-season-report/

So the stupid fudging swear filter will censor the URL because it has that word for rooster in it, but put that word in (c0ck) instead of rooster, and you'll get there.

The corner/set-piece talk is around the 35 (35:43 to be precise) minute mark or thereabouts.

Pattern of play for Goals/Attempts

Set Piece goals/attempts are those where the ball starts from a dead ball situation such as a corner, a free kick, a penalty or a Throw-in and results in a shot before the phase of play has broken down into open play.

The exact point at which it becomes open play is usually clear but set pieces which are cleared and then the ball is put straight back into the penalty area are still deemed to be part of the set piece as the defending team is still positioned to deal with the set play.

Opta's definition (as set out above) is open to much interpretation.

Again I challenge you or anyone to list the five goals we have supposedly scored from corners this season. If they are including Kane's fluke then it just shows what a nonsense this definition is.

Is there a definition used consistently by a third party that you prefer? If we are to compare us against other teams, we are going to need some measure to use.

I gave my definition earlier. It could perhaps be expanded to two touches from a corner. The definition given above is so nebulous and open to interpretation as to be virtually meaningless.

Again, I challenge you ( or anyone else) to name the five goals we have supposedly scored from corners this season - with a brief description of each one.

I think you will quickly see this supposed stat showing us as scoring five goals from corners this season in the PL is an absolute nonsense.

I gave my definition earlier. It could perhaps be expanded to two touches from a corner. The definition given above is so nebulous and open to interpretation as to be virtually meaningless.

Again, I challenge you ( or anyone else) to name the five goals we have supposedly scored from corners this season - with a brief description of each one.

I think you will quickly see this supposed stat showing us as scoring five goals from corners this season in the PL is an absolute nonsense.
Didn’t @milo post our set piece goals earlier? Although i think it was just set pieces in general rather than just corners

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly what I have been saying all along. Thank you Ted Knutson.

Do you know anyone who collects data along these lines?

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly what I have been saying all along. Thank you Ted Knutson.

I see that his company uses Opta data. As you like his conclusions, shall we use that to compare teams' returns from corners?

Didn’t @milo post our set piece goals earlier? Although i think it was just set pieces in general rather than just corners

Do you know anyone who collects data along these lines?

Rather than the peurile over reliance on stats, can you please describe the five goals we are supposed to have scored fron corners. Your inability to do so, merely underscores my point that stats do not show the true picture.

I see that his company uses Opta data. As you like his conclusions, shall we use that to compare teams' returns from corners?

He also says at one point that “over the course of a season, set pieces typically account for between 25 and 33% of all goals scored”.

Presumably this stat came from Opta too. And no, I don’t think that percentage is anywhere near correct. Just demonstrates my point even more about statistics.

Please can you now answer my question about our phantom 5 goals from corners?

Please can you now answer my question about our phantom 5 goals from corners?

I didn't realise the question was aimed at me. I can only remember a handful of goals that we've scored this season, so I am really the wrong person to ask.

Personally, I think that having a consistent way of measuring them is more important than the measure itself. Opta's definition of a goal being scored before a passage of play following the set piece breaks down, seems fair enough to me and doesn't leave too many ambiguities. But I would be equally content with another measure that could be applied consistently.

He also says at one point that “over the course of a season, set pieces typically account for between 25 and 33% of all goals scored”.

I haven't checked it but I have no reason to doubt that figure. My argument has never been against the number of goals scored from set pieces (although corners are a very low return set piece). My question has always been whether can you demonstrate that practicing corners has a return and that variation in the return from corners across the league is anything more than chance? Despite this thread running to 23 pages and you bringing the subject up regularly, I don't believe that you have been able to demonstrate either.

We can all have memory lapses, but don’t you find it just a teeny bit strange that no one can describe these five goals?

Our centre backs - not a single goal between them. Doesn’t that ring any alarm bells at all ?

Back