• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

He still has a lot of work to do with that team

They need a whole new defence for a start and it's not a quick fix as you can see by the players they have signed already

He is clearly a top coach but he also needs to get the right players
Agreed. I think they have some great attacking players but I am not at all convinced by their defensive ones (Kompany aside).

I wonder if they announced that yesterday as they were close to pulling off a deal and wanted to sweeten it with the player and that news might have helped?

I wonder if they announced that yesterday as they were close to pulling off a deal and wanted to sweeten it with the player and that news might have helped?

Doesn't even have to be an immediate signing. Chelsea, City and Liverpool are looking at completely rebuilding their teams in the summer, you want every advantage you can get in the coming months. To think we laughed at Everton for turning down 40 million for Stones. It was said at the time, Chelsea were just trying to get in there ahead of City.

Good post. Not to mention we have more chance of developing the next Neymar with out current way of working. We've already seen a Bale, Modric, Carrick, Dier and Kane come through under DLs transfer watch. The next step is to keep this new wave of stars. We will hopefully be able to invest more in better players to complement because of all the youngsters making up the squad places. But this summer will be tough, the best players are snapped up and PL clubs will be drenched in cash. If we can sign two elite players in the summer we should keep pace with City.
This is a good point.... The question is who those two elite players would be?...

If we could sign two players and two players only in the Summer then for me they would be Batshuyai and Witsel. The problem is that I can't see us having the £50 to £60 odd million quid it would take to sign the pair of them.

Doesn't even have to be an immediate signing. Chelsea, City and Liverpool are looking at completely rebuilding their teams in the summer, you want every advantage you can get in the coming months. To think we laughed at Everton for turning down 40 million for Stones. It was said at the time, Chelsea were just trying to get in there ahead of City.

I'm still laughing .. and if someone really does pay more, I'll laugh some more ...

fudge me if you really can't find a better defender in Europe for 40M pounds ...

The City story will be an interesting one.

For me it can go one of two ways. The first would be that the players all play for Pellegrini and their futures at the club, working hard on all fronts and going on to lift a trophy or two. The other way would be how things went towards the end of Mancini's final season. The team coasted through the latter parts of the season once they knew the league was out of reach and that Mancini was likely to be sacked. The form and fitness of Aguerro will also be pivotal as I can't see Yaya suddenly notching 15-20 goals in the next few months and without de Bruyne they are lacking that X factor.

Either way, I don't think we will find out how they are doing until the end of March when things start to pan out. You would imagine that just being close to the title or having little to no advantage over the chasing pack would be enough to ensure they continue to play to the best of their abilities. If however participation in next seasons Champions League is assured but the title race dead, then they could go on vacation early.

My biggest worry after the lacking of incoming and the trimming of the squad, is a possible 'player burnout' at exactly the wrong time. Progression in the cups means April could look like this
Apr 2 Liverpool a
Apr 7 Possible El Q/final 1st leg
Apr 10 Manchester United h
Apr 14 Possible EL Q/final 2nd leg
Apr 17 Stoke City a
Apr 23 Possible FA Cup Semi-final
Ap 28 Possible EL S/final 1st leg
May 1 Chelsea a

If the 4 league games werent tough enough, we could be have those additonal cup games. For the next 2 months we are going to be without N'jie and Vertonghen so we are going to be stretched for a while

GK/Full-backs are not a problem as each has 2 for 1
The CB's are worrying as now to rotate we are asking Dier to fill in if one needs a break or we are going to be throwing in Carter-Vickers in at the deep end
DM is less of a problem with Dier/Dembele/Carroll/Bentaleb/Mason
The trio in front Alli/Eriksen/Lamela/Son/Chadli/Omomah/Winks

My worry is how many breaks will Kane and Dier actually get between now and April. As good, and keen to play, as these lads they are not robots. I know Fazio and Townsend were out of favour, Coulthirst and Vejlkovic were probably never going to get a start and Pritchard has just regained fitness, but I would have kept a few of those 5 if only just to fill spots on the bench when we do need to rotate.

It's going to be asking a lot of the remaining squad. I dont like/want to see a Spurs team to lose any match, but perhaps an early exit for the Europa League would not be a disaster and boost our chances in both the League and FA Cup with less chance of burnout

As the rest of you have stated, burnout is the big concern. I know Poch has got everyone's fitness levels higher than ever before but im still concerned looking at the end of the season. I always want to progress and aim to win everything we are in BUT in this case, i think being knocked out of the EL wouldn't be the end of the world.

So we're starting to agree that dropping out of a competition would be beneficial? Is this not already a sign of how sh*te this window was?

Sigh. If Kane could really be effortlessly replaced by Chadli and Son, they'd have played more than they have: as it stands, Kane has played near-continuously this season, which sort of puts into question Poch's assertion that he trusts Son and Chadli to do the job should Kane get injured.

I think you're both right, @paxtonwolf and @The_Midlands_Yid : I think on the whole, our league and FA Cup runs could now be better served by a quiet exit from the EL ASAP.

So we're starting to agree that dropping out of a competition would be beneficial? Is this not already a sign of how sh*te this window was?

Your like a dog with a bone sometimes. I would reply but the last thing we need is yet another thread with more moaning about the window.

Your like a dog with a bone sometimes. I would reply but the last thing we need is yet another thread with more moaning about the window.

Sweeping stuff under the rug never benefits anyone, you know. Still, your choice.

Sigh. If Kane could really be effortlessly replaced by Chadli and Son, they'd have played more than they have: as it stands, Kane has played near-continuously this season, which sort of puts into question Poch's assertion that he trusts Son and Chadli to do the job should Kane get injured.

I think you're both right, @paxtonwolf and @The_Midlands_Yid : I think on the whole, our league and FA Cup runs could now be better served by a quiet exit from the EL ASAP.

I don't keep threads, but I would be remiss if I didn't remind you of your rage at Poch over his Micky Mouse Cup side against the Goons...

Agree, and it wouldn't have taken much for the window to have been ok. No mega signings needed - just a CF on loan to play a chunk of the EL or FAC games

Still League>EL>FA Cup for me.

First leg vs Fiorentina is definitely winnable and I'd throw our full strength side at that. The FA Cup ahs been unfair to us as we have Palace 3 days later, so I'd put out a youth side mixed with the second string which should see us lose.
After that, we will only have two competitions to worry about, but if we do beat Palace then I'd still treat the FA Cup poorly, fielding second string players.

Can you clarify? You surely mean to continue to prioritise the league over the cups?
No way should we throw away the Europa now when it is so beneficial for sharpening the teeth of players competing for a place at the weekend.

No they wouldn't. If Kane is fit, why sit him on the bench?

Back