• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

Someone on the Internet said that whoever had the best goal difference half way though the season, ended up winners nine out of the ten last seasons. Bodes well.

You would need to corroborate that with their league position at that point in time too though to give it context

It could easily be that in these times the team was top too... Not 4th

I'd like to look at us from another angle. I have chosen to compare us to the 1994/5 Champions Blackburn and the 2013/14 runners up Liverpool.

Blackburn finished the 94/95 season on 89 points after 42 games. If we adjust that total for a 38 game season they would have finished on 80.5 points.
I want to compare that to us because Alan Shearer started all 42 games, scoring 34 goals in the process.

Liverpool could, probably should, have won the league in 2014, They finished the season on 84 points. Suarez was banned for the first 5 games of the season but after that he was ever present, making 33 appearances.

I guess I'm just reiterating what everyone else here knows, keeping Kane fit is incredibly important for our chances of finishing higher than 4th and/or challenging for the title.

Appearances this season;
Kane 18/19
Giroud 17/19
Aguero 9/19
Kane is important, but he's no Suarez. Yet. I don't think he alone can drag us to the title, much as I would love it to be so.

Kane is important, but he's no Suarez. Yet. I don't think he alone can drag us to the title, much as I would love it to be so.

I did not mean to suggest Kane is as good as Suarez, just the consistency of a having a regular strike bodes well. If Kane wants to score 30+ goals this season then I won't complain though :)

You would need to corroborate that with their league position at that point in time too though to give it context

It could easily be that in these times the team was top too... Not 4th
Indeed... The only 2 sides with the best GD after week 19 who weren't also top of the league at that point were Emirates Marketing Project (who trailed Liverpool by just 1pt in) 2013 and Chelsea ( who also trailed Liverpool by just 1pt) in 2008.

2015: Spurs +18 35pts fourth / ???
2014: Chelsea +27 46pts first / +41 87pts champs
2013: Emirates Marketing Project +33 41pts second / +65 86pts champs
2012: ManU +20 46pts first / +43 89pts champs
2011: Emirates Marketing Project +37 45pts first / +64 89pts champs
2010: ManU +23 41pts first / +41 80pts champs
2009: Chelsea +28 42pts first / +71 86pts champs
2008: Chelsea +31 41pts second / +44 83pts third
2007: ManU +27 45pts first / +58 87pts champs
2006: ManU +31 47pts first / +56 89pts champs
2005: Chelsea +32 52pts first / +50 91pts champs

Last edited:
Indeed... The only 2 sides with the best GD after week 19 who weren't also top of the league at that point were Emirates Marketing Project (who trailed Liverpool by just 1pt in) 2013 and Chelsea ( who also trailed Liverpool by just 1pt) in 2008.

Cheers. I'll inform the Internet dude about this.

I'm noting though that the best goal difference this year is considerably lower than most other seasons. Probably says something about how open the PL race is this season.

Cheers. I'll inform the Internet dude about this.

I'm noting though that the best goal difference this year is considerably lower than most other seasons. Probably says something about how open the PL race is this season.
Yup. That and the fact that the top team (top 2 in many cases) had picked up at least 41 points by the halfway stage in each of the past 10 years.

In Redknapp' final season we had picked up 42pts by week 19 (+16GD) which would be enough to put us 3pts clear at the top this year but was only enough for 3rd place behind the Mancs; who'd both already got 45 points during Fergie' final campaign.

Back in 2009/10 we also had a GD of +18 (34 points) by the halfway stage but that was only enough for 5th spot, 1pt behind Aston Villa!

In Jol' first full season (Lasagne-gate) we were also in 4th spot at the halfway stage, on 34pts with a GD of +9.

During AVB' record-points-haul we had 33pts with a goal difference of +9 to sit 4th at the halfway stage.

Last edited:
Interesting listening to Jonathan Wilson on our title chances on the Second Captains podcast ( 38 minutes 13 seconds in)

"If you were a Tottenham Hotspur fan would you be thinking about the league title at this stage after three wins on the bounce?"

Jonathan Wilson - "Yeah I'd certainly be thinking... Well I'd be thinking two things. One, I'd be thinking this is probably the best chance we are gonna get in a decade. And this is a really odd season in terms of all the big teams not playing well. And therefore if you are a Tottenham, or an Everton, or a Liverpool, or an Arsenal even, that this is your chance. Its not gonna be this easy ever again. So you've got to make the most of it. I think as a Tottenham fan I'd be slightly frustrated that they're not already doing better. They're drawn what 8 games this season. My guess would be of those 8 games they've been the better side in the three quarters of them. So of those 6 games, say they got a winner in 3 of them, as they did against Watford, thats another 6 points and suddenly they are at the top. And maybe that over-reliance on Harry Kane for goals will in the end cost them. That opening period of the season when Kane wasn't scoring, they could have nicked a couple of more results. And things like the home game against Liverpool, the second half then they really should have got something out of that game and didn't. I think they occasionally let in sloppy equalisers. So yeah I would be thinking of a title but I'd also be thinking that they've slightly missed their chance. They could be in a better position than they are."

In addition to the above I also think that we could fudge it all up and finish 5th; typical Spurs. Tottenham always have this way off letting you down and I refuse to believe we will even finish top 4 until we finish there.

The battle ahead:

Home games: Leicester City, Sunderland, Watford, Swansea, Arsenal, Bournemouth, Manchester United, West Brom, Southampton

Away games: Everton, Crystal Palace, Norwich, Emirates Marketing Project, West Ham, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Stoke, Chelsea, Saudi Sportswashing Machine

In addition to the above I also think that we could fudge it all up and finish 5th; typical Spurs. Tottenham always have this way off letting you down and I refuse to believe we will even finish top 4 until we finish there.
This is not a typical Spurs team though, is it? The past is the past and no predictor of the future, unless everything has remained the same and in this case it's been a 180 degree turnaround. So I don't get the "this is typical Spurs" comment.

I think trying to predict ahead is as crazy as trying to call the lottery numbers for tonight. Yes, we can have a guess, but it's just that, a guess.

At the start of the season, would anyone really have predicted that we would have only lost twice, have a goal difference as good as our's, and a defence as resolute as ours appears to be? No? Thought not.

Fun as it is, I'm just going to enjoy each game that comes, recognise the challenge involved and hope that the team will have enough to collect the three points. From the strength of performances shown so far, of course we ha e a good chance for top 4, but I'm going to try not to look ahead & predict too much, for the reasons outlined above. It's a fun season though, isn't it?! :D

I think trying to predict ahead is as crazy as trying to call the lottery numbers for tonight. Yes, we can have a guess, but it's just that, a guess.

At the start of the season, would anyone really have predicted that we would have only lost twice, have a goal difference as good as our's, and a defence as resolute as ours appears to be? No? Thought not.

Fun as it is, I'm just going to enjoy each game that comes, recognise the challenge involved and hope that the team will have enough to collect the three points. From the strength of performances shown so far, of course we ha e a good chance for top 4, but I'm going to try not to look ahead & predict too much, for the reasons outlined above. It's a fun season though, isn't it?! :D

It's f-ing brilliant.

This is not a typical Spurs team though, is it? The past is the past and no predictor of the future, unless everything has remained the same and in this case it's been a 180 degree turnaround. So I don't get the "this is typical Spurs" comment.
You are right. It's not typical Spurs at all which is throwing everyone's equilibrium off. I guess Erik is just expecting it to all go tits up at any moment. It is a sentiment I can understand based on my entire Spurs supporting life :confused: but just once I'd like us to buck the trend (well more than once but I'd take once as a start).

Last edited:
You are right. It's not typical Spurs at all which is throwing everyone's equilibrium off. I guess Erik is just expecting it to all go tits up at any moment. It is a sentiment I can understand based on my entire Spurs support life :confused: but just once I'd like us to buck the trend (well more than once but I'd take once as a start).

I think traditionally we do muck it up as we rely historically on individual brilliance rather than team work and systems. Arse and city are both guilty on over reliance creatively from Ozil and Silva for example (and obviously Kompany too in city's case). Despite the clamour to say we rely on Kane for goals we have Toby and Dier and Dembele and Eriksen and others on 2 or 3. Son and Alli on 4 and Lamella on 8. We're sharing the burden when need be now an their all contributing with assists. We have Mason and Cahdli hardly getting a sniff and they both can contribute assists and goals

They key though is the team work and team ethics and that's why im confident new wont crumble. Will it be enough to win the league... Depends on others IMO. But im confident of top 4

You are right. It's not typical Spurs at all which is throwing everyone's equilibrium off. I guess Erik is just expecting it to all go tits up at any moment. It is a sentiment I can understand based on my entire Spurs supporting life :confused: but just once I'd like us to buck the trend (well more than once but I'd take once as a start).
I think we're already bucking it. ;)

In the last 12 years, teams needed 85-90 points to become league champions. Only exception was in 2010, when ManU only had 80 points to become champions. It might be the case again this season. With all the big teams inconsistent and Leicester lacking the experience, I think 80-85 points might be enough to become champions this season. So, we need to win 17 of our remaining 19 matches to have any chance of winning the league title. It might be even less if all our rivals lose many unexpected points along the way.

Back