• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

Arsenal have a tough next 4 games and I can see them dropping points against all opponents, and then it's Koeman's Southampton again.

City have things a little easier as do we (although I'm still including Leicester as "easy").

We don't have to do anything special, just keep on keeping on. We had a dodgy run up until the Saudi Sportswashing Machine result, but it's been 3 on the trot since. That all we need to keep doing - win.

If we believe all that stands between us winning the title and not is getting a result against Everton, Sunderland, Leicester, Palace, you'd take it. In isolation it's not hard. Put it all together and it's difficult. The proverbial one game at a time.

Not believing yet, but geez if it's ever gonna happen people ...

In the last 12 years, teams needed 85-90 points to become league champions. Only exception was in 2010, when ManU only had 80 points to become champions. It might be the case again this season. With all the big teams inconsistent and Leicester lacking the experience, I think 80-85 points might be enough to become champions this season. So, we need to win 17 of our remaining 19 matches to have any chance of winning the league title. It might be even less if all our rivals lose many unexpected points along the way.

Cannot see it being above 80 points personally

Once Europe kicks in teams drop points anyway and the second half of the season generally is harder due to its nature....

If you doubled the current top of the table points that would be about right but I wonder if that works out?

Once Europe kicks in teams drop points anyway and the second half of the season generally is harder due to its nature....

If you doubled the current top of the table points that would be about right but I wonder if that works out?

Maybe you are right. ManU won the league with only 75 points in 1997. Won't be surprised if the league champions only get 75-78 points this season. I think all the big teams will struggle after playing in Europe while Leicester will find it difficult to cope with the pressure. If we are still in title race by then, won't mind if we play weak team against Fiorentina in EL. Afterall, winning the league title should be more important for us than winning in Europe. It is not often we get to be in the title race at this stage of the season.

I think traditionally we do muck it up as we rely historically on individual brilliance rather than team work and systems. Arse and city are both guilty on over reliance creatively from Ozil and Silva for example (and obviously Kompany too in city's case). Despite the clamour to say we rely on Kane for goals we have Toby and Dier and Dembele and Eriksen and others on 2 or 3. Son and Alli on 4 and Lamella on 8. We're sharing the burden when need be now an their all contributing with assists. We have Mason and Cahdli hardly getting a sniff and they both can contribute assists and goals

They key though is the team work and team ethics and that's why im confident new wont crumble. Will it be enough to win the league... Depends on others IMO. But im confident of top 4

Bang on for me, over the years we have had some great players who on their day have won us matches but on their bad days ( off days)we have struggled to be consistent. This now imo is a lot different, for the first time is a lot of years we have a TEAM who are a unit and play as one.

You are right. It's not typical Spurs at all which is throwing everyone's equilibrium off. I guess Erik is just expecting it to all go tits up at any moment. It is a sentiment I can understand based on my entire Spurs supporting life :confused: but just once I'd like us to buck the trend (well more than once but I'd take once as a start).

The way i see it, we are playing very, very well and are only 4th. Emirates Marketing Project looking average sit 3rd and Arsenal looking average also, sit second. In addition, Man Utd haveing a shocking season right behind us, similarly, as are Liverpool.

We are potentially going to have to play at this level for the remainder of the season to get a CL spot. I can honestly see Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea going on a masssive run from now onwards and winning games by hook or by crook.

The way i see it, we are playing very, very well and are only 4th. Emirates Marketing Project looking average sit 3rd and Arsenal looking average also, sit second. In addition, Man Utd haveing a shocking season right behind us, similarly, as are Liverpool.

We are potentially going to have to play at this level for the remainder of the season to get a CL spot. I can honestly see Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea going on a masssive run from now onwards and winning games by hook or by crook.

Disagree
We are playing effectively but not brilliantly by any means
We have more gears to go trough and players like eriksen for example who we know can play better.
If argh our defence can't be much better but we could be better creatively and have the players to do that

I really cannot see this lovefest for Liverpool as a candidate for top 4 and if you insist on including them then both West Ham and Palace have to be included as they are only 3 and 4 points behind us respectively and have a superior goal difference to Liverpool's.

I cannot see a team outside of the top 5 finishing inside the top 5 come season's end and if we have to worry about Arsenal, Utd or Chelsea (who to be honest are out of it completely) going on a run then they should also be worried by us doing the same.

I really cannot see this lovefest for Liverpool as a candidate for top 4 and if you insist on including them then both West Ham and Palace have to be included as they are only 3 and 4 points behind us respectively and have a superior goal difference to Liverpool's.

I cannot see a team outside of the top 5 finishing inside the top 5 come season's end and if we have to worry about Arsenal, Utd or Chelsea (who to be honest are out of it completely) going on a run then they should also be worried by us doing the same.

It's the Klopp factor... He turned my wine into water the other day

I see your point and to some extent agree but I refuse to believe that all of the teams mentioned a coup,e won't put together sn exceptional run, I just can't see it.

We are playing the most consistent football in the league and I think we do have an extra gear or two but I think this really depends of whether Eriksen shows up for the second half, if not I can't see us getting any better without a fantastic addition in the window.

In addition, I can't really see any more 'shock' results That has helped us out thus far. Such as B'mouth winning at Chelsea, Watford, Leicester winning at the big boys. I think the smaller clubs will struggle second half of the season.

Last edited:
Liverpool under Rodgers P8 W3 D3 L2
Liverpool under Klopp P9 W3 D3 L3 that's a 33.33% win ratio, even with his win ratio at Dortmund of 54% I can't see Liverpool being a serious challenger.

As for "shock" results there'll be plenty more come season end there always is.

Liverpool under Rodgers P8 W3 D3 L2
Liverpool under Klopp P9 W3 D3 L3 that's a 33.33% win ratio, even with his win ratio at Dortmund of 54% I can't see Liverpool being a serious challenger.

As for "shock" results there'll be plenty more come season end there always is.

Old stats?
Klopp has W5 D3 L4.
Both Rodgers and Klopp have 1.5 points per game.

My view has always been that this thread should not have been started before mid-January.

However, IF we win tomorrow it will the first time under Poch that we've won 4 league games on the spin and i will start to dream.....a little..

Fwiw, here's some Cann tables after 19 & 38 games for the PL seasons in which we've finished Top 6.

As you say, most of the early contenders don't manage to double their points tally during the latter halves of seasons... Hopefully we will be one of the exceptions this time around...

It's the Klopp factor... He turned my wine into water the other day

Very funny! The media love-in for Klopp is utterly ridiculous - Sky have a couple trailers running at the moment, once which mentions the race for the title and then immediately after shows Klopp and another which summarises games coming up and he's right at the start.

I understand that it looks a bit odd/quirky, is different to a lot of English managers and also did well at Dortmund, however the way the media portray him suggests that he could take a non-league time up through the leagues and win the title. Sky are going to hate it when Liverpool finish 6th or 7th. Wonder how much seasons of us finishing above them its going to take before they ever give us as much credit as they do Liverpool

Sky are going to hate it when Liverpool finish 6th or 7th. Wonder how much seasons of us finishing above them its going to take before they ever give us as much credit as they do Liverpool

My brother is a Pool fan. He was saying last summer that Pool usually finish above Spurs and I had to point out that we finished above them for 6 out of 7 seasons or whatever it was. And this is an educated 45 year old who loves Liverpool and Stats and watches a lot of football... he just refused to acknowledge that Pool are not very good any more... it really is some sort of cult at that club.

12 points clear of Chelsea.

I know to many Chelsea fans and no matter what happens this season I would never live it down if they finished above us after their start to the season. As long as we finish above this cnuts I will be fine, but I got a bad feeling, this is tottenham after all.

I want an average of 2 points a game and that will keep us comfortable

Beat Leicester at home and were almost above them

Back