• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

It baffles me how some fans can't see how generally good he's been. He hasn't been outstanding, but he hasn't been some 'headless chicken' either - he's been solid, and quite good. Definitely better than Trippier on the whole (just about). And it's baffling how it isn't more apparent.

Hopefully he will settle.
As of now both our right backs are suspect in my opinion.
Just not sure of either from a defensive standpoint.

Hopefully he will settle.
As of now both our right backs are suspect in my opinion.
Just not sure of either from a defensive standpoint.

That's fair. I just think Aurier is a bit less suspect than many seem to view him as. He's not 100% solid, and there are definitely times when he makes the wrong decision or loses his head too easily, but I think, on the whole, he's been reasonably good.

That's fair. I just think Aurier is a bit less suspect than many seem to view him as. He's not 400% solid, and there are definitely times when he makes the wrong decision or loses his head too easily, but I think, on the whole, he's been reasonably good.

Sane showed the type of oppositions we are up against at this level.
Luckily we will be playing three at the back most of the time when we are fully fit.
Walker base speed was exceptional.
Strangely Serge is not as fast after the first ten yards as I thought he would have been, Trippier is even slower in the defensive recovery department.
Sanchez is by far the quicker thankfully.

Last edited:
It baffles me how some fans can't see how generally good he's been. He hasn't been outstanding, but he hasn't been some 'headless chicken' either - he's been solid, and quite good. Definitely better than Trippier on the whole (just about). And it's baffling how it isn't more apparent.

He has made absolutely terrible mistakes at times. Whilst we need a better player than Trippier as our starting right-back, the jury is still out on Aurier.

He has made absolutely terrible mistakes at times. Whilst we need a better player than Trippier as our starting right-back, the jury is still out on Aurier.

I think we have problems now with a back four.
Rose is way of fitness and Davies doesn't look to be in favour.
Neither of the current right backs fill me with confidence.

Sanchez is back, which means (with a back 4) Dier goes into midfield. That makes us a much better balanced team. Big Vic still to follow.

When Toby is there I would always play a back three. We look better balanced.
The new lad Foyth sadly is a long way off the first team, but sat on the bench which surprised me.

Yeah, I think we play best with a back 3.

Against bigger teams I think back 3 is the way to go

Against teams that park the bus, unless we have Rose/Aurier bombing forward ala Rose/Walker of last year, back 4 with the extra attacker (Son/Lamela) in midfield probably makes sense.

I'd bet on Aurier, to me a big part of our lack of form this season has come down to
- No Wanyama (huge part of last season)
- Davies/Trippier reverting to norm (i.e. decent players, but no where near their once in a lifetime form of end of last season)

The Trippier that will hit the ball early, cross from deep and get 7-10 crosses a game is useful, the guy that plays it safe, stands on the ball and passes back from an already deep wing position makes us slow, add in he's an ok (not amazing) defender, the upside on Aurier is so much higher.

To lose 2 of our back 5 is a big deal. In addition, we lose both of the defensive screening midfielders, and then we've got fullbacks who aren't settled. We'll kick on soon once we get some stability back into the defense and DM. With Toby and Sanchez out, in retrospect, Poch might have stuck to the same pair of full backs for a run of games to help shore us up.

Trippier and Aurier in a stable setup are both excellent players. Shouldn't judge Trippier on his one game against city. I prefer Aurier for his ability with the ball at his feet. He's also expressive and is a bit more like Rose with drive and a bit of aggression.

Didn't we have our best run of wins when Poch kept the same team more or less week in and out? But then we also capitulated at the end of the season. Ferguson had the right balance, he let players settle for a run of games, then rotate them when they flagged. I think that's a far more effective way to play than chopping and changing each game.

To lose 2 of our back 5 is a big deal. In addition, we lose both of the defensive screening midfielders, and then we've got fullbacks who aren't settled. We'll kick on soon once we get some stability back into the defense and DM. With Toby and Sanchez out, in retrospect, Poch might have stuck to the same pair of full backs for a run of games to help shore us up.

Trippier and Aurier in a stable setup are both excellent players. Shouldn't judge Trippier on his one game against city. I prefer Aurier for his ability with the ball at his feet. He's also expressive and is a bit more like Rose with drive and a bit of aggression.

Didn't we have our best run of wins when Poch kept the same team more or less week in and out? But then we also capitulated at the end of the season. Ferguson had the right balance, he let players settle for a run of games, then rotate them when they flagged. I think that's a far more effective way to play than chopping and changing each game.

This article is from the 08-09 season, when Utd won the league, the league cup, community sheild and world club cup, runners up in Champions League, Super Cup and got to the semi finals of the FA Cup...so a lot of games!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/may/13/alex-ferguson-rotation-manchester-united

...a demonstration of how the oldest manager in the business has mastered the art of rotation and the importance of keeping his team "fresh" for the business end of the season. To put it into context, Ferguson has not named the same team for successive matches once this season and, with more changes planned tonight, it will be 65 games since he last resisted the temptation to stick with his starting XI, going back to the beginning of May last year.

"Not everyone agrees and there are some fans who want me to play my best team every game," says Ferguson. "But if I could sit down with them and explain the number of miles the players are running in every match, the intensity, the speed, the number of times they have to sprint, they would maybe realise how difficult it is."

This article is from the 08-09 season, when Utd won the league, the league cup, community sheild and world club cup, runners up in Champions League, Super Cup and got to the semi finals of the FA Cup...so a lot of games!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/may/13/alex-ferguson-rotation-manchester-united

...a demonstration of how the oldest manager in the business has mastered the art of rotation and the importance of keeping his team "fresh" for the business end of the season. To put it into context, Ferguson has not named the same team for successive matches once this season and, with more changes planned tonight, it will be 65 games since he last resisted the temptation to stick with his starting XI, going back to the beginning of May last year.

"Not everyone agrees and there are some fans who want me to play my best team every game," says Ferguson. "But if I could sit down with them and explain the number of miles the players are running in every match, the intensity, the speed, the number of times they have to sprint, they would maybe realise how difficult it is."
Is Ferguson really suggesting that perhaps professional coaches know more about team selection that fans on internet forums???? The nerve.

Furguson rotated his large squad to good effect, but he did it with care. If a player was fresh and looking good he’d retain his place. With our full backs they can’t build on each performance. Why did Davies look so composed when Rose was out?

No doubt rotating effectively is an art. One we
Probably need to finesse as Eriksen plays every game, post internationals or big CL game, Kane also, while the full backs get one game in and one game out.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

He has definitely improved although people on here were saying he's Walker but with crossing ability and has the potential to be better than him. I'm not sure of that but he's definitely better with the ball than Walker although his positioning and anticipation isn't as good. Often out of position and goes to ground easily. Looks like he is learning though and he's only been here 6 months so lets see how he does next season.

Neither of the current right backs fill me with confidence.

I'm with you on that. Given Trippier's age, if he's not a first choice in the next year or so (which I doubt he would be) I'd flog him whilst Stoke, Everton, West Ham etc would pay £20m for him and then free up opportunities for KWP.

Against bigger teams I think back 3 is the way to go

Against teams that park the bus, unless we have Rose/Aurier bombing forward ala Rose/Walker of last year, back 4 with the extra attacker (Son/Lamela) in midfield probably makes sense.

100%; been saying this for a while. Playing a back 3 and without full-backs stretching the opposition (e.g. Trippier not taking his man on), we're closer to playing a back 5 rather than a back 3 and become easy to defend against

400%; been saying this for a while. Playing a back 3 and without full-backs stretching the opposition (e.g. Trippier not taking his man on), we're closer to playing a back 5 rather than a back 3 and become easy to defend against

Agreed, the whole point of wing backs is that they don't have to defend as much as a regular full back. You either need someone with the ball control and crossing of Beckham or someone with extreme space who can get in behind like Walker used too.

Back