• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sandro - Beast

Do you really need to come across as a condescending ******** whenever Parker is mentioned?

Like I said, I try not to but people make it really impossible!

Out of the things I mentioned (Kyle Walker, Sgt Pepper, UKIP) do any of them suggest to you that large groups of people are capable of making sensible choices? Whilst a person can sometimes be intelligent, people are without exception, stupid.

Spurs player of the year backwards from 2014 to 1987:

2014: Eriksen
2013: Bale
2012: Parker
2011: Modric
2010: Dawson
2009: Lennon
2008: Keane
2007: Berbatov
2006: Keane
2005: No award (no idea why?)
2004: Defoe
2003: Keane
2002: Davies
2001: Sullivan
2000: Carr
1999: Carr
1998: Ginola
1997: Judas
1996: Judas
1995: Sherringham
1994: Klinsmann
1993: Anderton
1992: Linkeker
1991: Paul Allen
1990: Gascoigne
1989: Thorstvedt
1988: Waddle
1987: Mabbutt

That's certainly a good list, but that doesn't mean that sometimes people can get things very wrong. There's also, I assume, a majority of English people voting for the award - I don't need to tell you how backward the attitude to football is traditionally here.

Just to back up my Kyle Walker point - we've got two right backs in that list, one of them winning twice and neither of them are him. Yet he's our best right-back ever? That must tell you something about the people who vote for this kind of thing.

That's certainly a good list, but that doesn't mean that sometimes people can get things very wrong. There's also, I assume, a majority of English people voting for the award - I don't need to tell you how backward the attitude to football is traditionally here.

Just to back up my Kyle Walker point - we've got two right backs in that list, one of them winning twice and neither of them are him
. Yet he's our best right-back ever? That must tell you something about the people who vote for this kind of thing.

Well, it really depends on the season/squad, to me, it would be much harder to be our player of the season between say 2006 - present than 2004 -1993 (where we were mostly ****).

Your point about large groups voting is valid, although not sure about the music references, modern music/movies/entertainment in general, mediocrity is most popular.

No longer sure what people are arguing about, Parker did a good job for us, would have been even better if we had got him a couple of years earlier. Sandro did a good job, has had a few injury issues, but still has a lot of the prime of his career ahead, and a lot of opportunity to be an even better player.

Just to back up my Kyle Walker point - we've got two right backs in that list, one of them winning twice and neither of them are him. Yet he's our best right-back ever? That must tell you something about the people who vote for this kind of thing.

Not necessarily....

1. It could demonstrate that at the time our right back was our best player, but the rest of the team was weak so he was the 'best of a bad bunch'.
2. That when voting for a 'best ever' people tend to have recent events more at the forefront of their minds.
3. That some of the people voting for our "best right back ever" whenever this vote was made were not supporting Spurs 15 years ago so not particularly aware of Carr (or anyone prior to him).
4. The 'best right back ever' vote was taken at the point when Walker had had a fantastic little period and taken himself from a young hopeful to England right back?

So - do you think any of those names above (other than Parker of course) didn't have really good seasons for Spurs when they won the award?

So - do you think any of those names above (other than Parker of course) didn't have really good seasons for Spurs when they won the award?

I don't think any of them had a bad season. In fact, I think Parker had the best season someone with his limitations could have.

I also think that most of the rest of the squad had a better season and used far more talent in doing so. If you remove the desire for triers and distrust of talent from the English psyche one of them would probably have got the recognition they deserve.

I don't think any of them had a bad season. In fact, I think Parker had the best season someone with his limitations could have.

I also think that most of the rest of the squad had a better season and used far more talent in doing so. If you remove the desire for triers and distrust of talent from the English psyche one of them would probably have got the recognition they deserve.

Wow - that was almost an admission that Parker did have a really good season.... of course you had to add your own little caveat on the end.

Now Gary Doherty - there was a player that had the best season that "someone with his limitations" could have, he played centre half and also filled in up front (and scored some goals) he also fitted with your 'triers' description that the English psyche apparently loves. However he got nowhere the player of the year award. Surely he should've walked it during the George Graham years and that lazy bastard David Ginola should've got nowhere near the award?!?

Interesting how players like Ginola, Sherringham, Anderton, Modric and Berbatov have been able to win the award with that English desire for triers and distrust of talent" don't you think? Or perhaps there really isn't any such thing and the award has just always gone to one of the best 2 or 3 players over the course of the season (as I think the award clearly demonstrates since it's inception 27 years ago).

One thing you really shouldn't level at a set of fans that absolutely idolised Hoddle and Ginola is that they have a distrust for talent and prefer a trier. Do you not see how ridiculous that is?!?

Last edited:

Anybody who thinks Walker is our best right back ever is obviously too young to have seen Steve Carr when he was the best right back in the league

People do realise that we are comparing 2 players at different stages of their careers? Sandro being in the peak of his while parker at the end of his? Sandro is a very good player would certainly not be top of my list to move on. However overall he was poo r last season even allowing for injuries neither his brain nor his body moved particularly quickly and his ball retention was shocking.

BTw the Scott Parker who played for Charlton, I remember being some player. So much so that Glenn Hoddle, a man who knew a thing or 2 about thinking quickly and using the ball intelligently coveted him when he was Spurs manager. Had he got him he may have been more of a sucess

That's probably because people don't remember Carr too fondly and there's not much competition beyond him. Wasn't it just for the PL era?

I think it was because I believe Robbo got best keeper.

Personally if i was the newer fans, Id still have picked Charlie.

Back