• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

1 year down the line and its another year other clubs become interested. Have we not learned about waiting and then seeing said player go elsewhere.

El Guepardo wasn't suggesting that we should wait another year to sign Berahino. He was merely suggesting that, because Berahino only has two years remaining on his contract, his price shouldn't be as high as might otherwise be expected for a highly rated, young and somewhat proven English striker.

I get you, I misunderstood your point. But bearing in mind even those who liked Benteke were saying the money wanted was to much for us but all of a sudden a player who has a worse goal record is worth the amount being mentioned.

We're still a long way off 32.5 million though. ;)

El Guepardo wasn't suggesting that we should wait another year to sign Berahino. He was merely suggesting that, because Berahino only has two years remaining on his contract, his price shouldn't be as high as might otherwise be expected for a highly rated, young and somewhat proven English striker.

Disagree.. after this window is the cutoff where player values diminish.

I genuinely think some on here are SO desperate for our striking options to be bettered that all hopes are being pinned on SB.

He will be another average player in an ever increasing average squad. He is not the answer. He will score 1 in 3/4.

A better option than Adebayor I grant you but not gonna smash us into the top 4.

A bit like the forward you would prefer, Charlie Austin, then...

Parklane1, it depends what we end up signing Berahino for and what the wages are, which will also be driven by who our competitors for the signature are i.e. not Liverpool

Signing Beneteke will not happen so you are right. ;)
Thankfully

I don't get the idea at all of spending 30m on a player to replace a player that is 100% nailed on only to create more square pegs in round holes by moving Kane to #10 behind. Not for me.

Thankfully

I don't get the idea at all of spending 30m on a player to replace a player that is 100% nailed on only to create more square pegs in round holes by moving Kane to #10 behind. Not for me.

Stop! Hammer time, I just think when he picks up the ball deep and runs at defenders he looks better and would give him more space to play in.

Stop! Hammer time, I just think when he picks up the ball deep and runs at defenders he looks better and would give him more space to play in.

So the player that he would replace say Eriksen.. the player marking him would give Kane more space.. or is it he gets more space now and looks good doing it because he becomes the spare man because the two centre backs have not followed and therefore is unmarked.

IMO 100% our fall back option, which I would not be too displeased about and better value than Benteke and more likely happy to sit on the bench when Harry is fit. But would still start a good 20 games.

Actually i disagree with the bolded bit. He wouldn't come to sit on our bench to play understudy at age 26 to Kane. He wants chances to play for England as well and he'd not want to scupper that by actively playing second-fiddle to his England 21/22 yo competitor..

So the player that he would replace say Eriksen.. the player marking him would give Kane more space.. or is it he gets more space now and looks good doing it because he becomes the spare man because the two centre backs have not followed and therefore is unmarked.

:confused: He will get more space coming from deep then he will as a focal point, but we are not going to agree on this are we?

In comparison to Benteke. I think Austin would be a lot more open to playing 2nd fiddle at Tottenham than playing at QPR in the Championship that I am certain on.

Disagree.. after this window is the cutoff where player values diminish.

Okay....allow me to rephrase.

The fact that Berahino only has two years remaining on his contract means that West Brom are less likely to dig their heels in and demand every cent of their valuation of the player. They are more likely to compromise, knowing that if they don't, they will have a rapidly depreciating asset on their books.

It won't reduce his value from £25m to £10m, granted. But it might reduce what the buying club has to pay from £25m to £20m.

The thing is Kane can play as a no. 10 AND as the main striker. A bit like Berahino it seems.

Can Benteke play as a no.1 10? I don't think so, and hence Berahino gives us more flexibility and hence is worth pursuing more than Benteke because of this (and the price)

Agree and you can see a front 3 of Njie, Kane and Berahino being feasible in a 4-3-3

Okay....allow me to rephrase.

The fact that Berahino only has two years remaining on his contract means that West Brom are less likely to dig their heels in and demand every cent of their valuation of the player. They are more likely to compromise, knowing that if they don't, they will have a rapidly depreciating asset on their books.

It won't reduce his value from £25m to £10m, granted. But it might reduce what the buying club has to pay from £25m to £20m.

Yes.. I can see that.. but you did make it sound like your first quote 25 to 10.

It's hard to know which other strikers in the World are available. Without having a good scouting network, sources who can have a word with people at the clubs and testing the waters, we are left clutching at hope whenever we are linked with a player who is decent. Players like Kramer, Berardi, Paco Alcacer and Gabriel Barbosa are all good talents but would we ever stand a chance to sign them? Seems unlikely, not if we are not pursuing them now... other than potentially our move for Kramer. Those are young strikers who appear to have the ability to succeed, but who are likely much in demand and not only at their current club, but elsewhere too.

I want us to sign a young striker, someone who might be worth a good amount now but who is less likely to see their market value drop quickly.

It's difficult to find a top young striker that has a history of playing in the Premier League and scoring goals.

Other strikers who could interest would have included:

Kramer, Berardi, Paco Alcacer and Gabriel Barbosa Almeida

But, do you really see us signing any of those? Kramer has been linked but I'm unconvinced that we will sign him. Other than having been burned with the Soldado transfer, it would almost have been as well for us to have bought big with Lacazette, assuming that he would have wanted to have moved to us, which isn't a given. Yes, he would have cost a lot of money, but he has the talent to succeed and it seems as if players can more easily convert to Premier League football from France, than from any other national league. I have no doubt that we would have eventually sold Lacazette for a profit but as his signing would be a pipe dream at best, perhaps there's little point musing over such a scenario.

Alcacer signed a new contract a couple of months back, he came up through the ranks of Valencia and I doubt they would sell nor would he want to come based on how the career of the last player we signed from Valencia went. We would be lucky to get a work permit for Barbosa, isn't he only like 18 and played 2 seasons for Santos? Juve co-own Berardi so not going to happen. Never heard of Kramer.

Back