• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

Experience definately,someone who knows to find space in the box...a different option that we got now,i know our transfer policy has changed,we could get someone plus 30 age wise,on a 6 month loan or two year contract and pay him what ever but we won't,but we need a different option i believe.

We've drawn 9 games plus yesterday.....we do need another striker,a poacher someone who lives in the 6 yard box,we've got plenty of players who hang around the 18 yard box even furthur out sometimes.

How many times does Son (and Kane) get his shot block on the edge of the box i lose count after 9/10/11times......

I don't think that our team is set up to provide for a 6 yard poacher, so I am not sure that there is much sense in signing one (not that I am saying that is what Berahino is).

We've also scored a few goals this season. Is it lack of a goalscorer, or lack of experience? Think Lloris said he hopes we buy some experience.

Experience! I firmly believe we have the firepower in the side, it's the smarts that only come with experience we are missing.

A few times this season we've clicked and the front line has done its job and looked great in the process, others we've stumbled either running out of ideas or just being wasteful.

These guys are young and still growing into the game, the question is do you persist knowing we're at times going to misfire, or do you go out and add experience to the squad knowing it could impact development of others.

As frustrating as it can be at times, I'd still much rather we develop the players we have if there is potential there and I'll try to bite my lip when they have an off day.

We've looked way more toothless WITH Kane.

Second half they just packed their penalty box.

What I don't see is how an unfit Berahino will help with any of that.

What about a fit Berahino as opposed to an unfit one?

Also if not Berahino then who?.... Or are you saying that if the opposition team packs their penalty box then we should just accept that we aren't going to create any chances?

More and more teams will play against us in exactly the same way Leicester did yesterday. We need to find a way to ensure that we can still create chances against such tactics.

We've looked way more toothless WITH Kane.

Second half they just packed their penalty box.

What I don't see is how an unfit Berahino will help with any of that.

Personally I only quote Berahino (like yesterday in the OMT), because he seems to be the one we are constantly linked with. but quite frankly we just need another option whoever it is. I dont know myself its not my job, that is down to Pochettino,Mitchell,etc;
The problem is, it is Jan 11th and we are no further down the line with it getting sorted despite knowing it is a problem since last August.

Also if not Berahino then who?.... Or are you saying that if the opposition team packs their penalty box then we should just accept that we aren't going to create any chances?

More and more teams will play against us in exactly the same way Leicester did yesterday. We need to find a way to ensure that we can still create chances against such tactics.

Creating chances has little to do with having Kane or a replacement striker on the pitch.

What evidence is there that when we play against a team like Leicester played yesterday Berahino will be a good answer? Has WBA ever had 70% possession even in a 15 minute spell of a game, never mind a full game?

To me it seems that when Berahino has been effective for WBA it has been way more in playing for them in a style comparable to what Leicester played yesterday, he seems close to unproven for a team playing our style. But of course I could be missing something here.

Who else? Really? There is no other striker that would improve our team when Kane isn't on the pitch? This seems super strange to me...

The difference between falling off the pace and keeping the same tempo as the first half of the season is making the right signings in January.

We have been giving up top 4 places in the past for not strengthening in January.

Mind giving some examples of tempo keeping signings in the past? (for us or other clubs)

Have top teams in the past relied on this? Chelsea, City and United when they've won the league etc?

Mind giving some examples of tempo keeping signings in the past? (for us or other clubs)

Have top teams in the past relied on this? Chelsea, City and United when they've won the league etc?

Well 3 of the 4 teams who finish above us have so many top quality players and spend so much money in the summer that they don't need tempo keeping signings. you only have to look at Arsenal and Us to see how not buying in January has an impact on the title challenge (Arsenal) top 4 race (us).

Well 3 of the 4 teams who finish above us have so many top quality players and spend so much money in the summer that they don't need tempo keeping signings. you only have to look at Arsenal and Us to see how not buying in January has an impact on the title challenge (Arsenal) top 4 race (us).

I asked for examples of teams signing players in January to keep up their tempo. Not for examples of clubs that hypothetically if they had signed some unknown player potentially perhaps could have kept up their tempo...

I think our business this summer (and last summer, and last January, + our excellent development work) is what will give us a chance to keep up our tempo. Similar is true for Arsenal imo.

We still have Son settling in, Pritchard coming back from injury, Chadli has been pretty much a non-factor so far this season and the same is true for Bentaleb. We have real cover and competition for places in most areas. This has happened through very good squad building over the last 18 months with a focus on player development and a bit of patience.

Looking for a January transfer window fix to what isn't broken is for me very much the wrong way of approaching things. If we can sign someone good value with the ability or potential to be a long term solution and improvement for us of course we should go for it. That's what's brought us this far, more of this seems like a good way to continue.

I asked for examples of teams signing players in January to keep up their tempo. Not for examples of clubs that hypothetically if they had signed some unknown player potentially perhaps could have kept up their tempo...

I think our business this summer (and last summer, and last January, + our excellent development work) is what will give us a chance to keep up our tempo. Similar is true for Arsenal imo.

We still have Son settling in, Pritchard coming back from injury, Chadli has been pretty much a non-factor so far this season and the same is true for Bentaleb. We have real cover and competition for places in most areas. This has happened through very good squad building over the last 18 months with a focus on player development and a bit of patience.

Looking for a January transfer window fix to what isn't broken is for me very much the wrong way of approaching things. If we can sign someone good value with the ability or potential to be a long term solution and improvement for us of course we should go for it. That's what's brought us this far, more of this seems like a good way to continue.
I agree with you pretty much completely.... As would most people I think.

The only issue seen by myself and many others is the lack of cover for Kane. We have been lucky so far that Kane has stayed fit and healthy. In the unfortunate event of our luck not holding here it looks as though we would be forced into playing Son as our number 9. From what I have seen he doesn't look to be a very good number 9. He instead looks a tailor made 11, 10 or 7.

We are currently very well placed in the league. If Kane were to be unavailable for a period of time then I'm not sure we would be able to maintain our challenge without another number 9. We are also increasing our chances of Kane picking up an injury due to rarely being able to give him a rest.

In reference to the 'who else' comment I made. I wasn't saying that Berahino was the only option... far from it in fact. Berahino may or may not be the answer, but equally he isn't the ONLY player out there either. I was asking your opinion for who you would like us to bring in instead seeing as you don't rate Berahino. Or perhaps you think that Son is an adequate number 9? I just don't share that point of view.

I don't think there is the need to bring in a player/players in any other position this month, but we are definitely one player short for options at number 9. If we progress in both the FA Cup and Europa league then this might become even more apparent, as I don't think we can realistically ask Kane to play in every match between now and the end of the season.

Last edited:

So you don't think we need a proper back up for Kane? People can sit there and say Son and N'jie can fill in but they are not out and out strikers and doubt they would get enough goals to compensate for the loss of Kane if he ever got injured.

I agree with you pretty much completely.... As would most people I think.

The only issue seen by myself and many others is the lack of cover for Kane. We have been lucky so far that Kane has stayed fit and healthy. In the unfortunate event of our luck not holding here it looks as though we would be forced into playing Son as our number 9. From what I have seen he doesn't look to be a very good number 9. He instead looks a tailor made 11, 10 or 7.

We are currently very well placed in the league. If Kane were to be unavailable for a period of time then I'm not sure we would be able to maintain our challenge without another number 9. We are also increasing our chances of Kane picking up an injury due to rarely being able to give him a rest.

In reference to the 'who else' comment I made. I wasn't saying that Berahino was the only option... far from it in fact. Berahino may or may not be the answer, but equally he isn't the ONLY player out there either. I was asking your opinion for who you would like us to bring in instead seeing as you don't rate Berahino. Or perhaps you think that Son is an adequate number 9? I just don't share that point of view.

I don't think there is the need to bring in a player/players in any other position this month, but we are definitely one player short for options at number 9. If we progress in both the FA Cup and Europa league then this might become even more apparent, as I don't think we can realistically ask Kane to play in every match between now and the end of the season.

I've said repeatedly that I think Son would score quite a few playing up front for a counter attacking WBA (pre Pulis) side. I think we showed by playing well in the first half yesterday that he can play that role for us, but obviously not as well as Kane. I'm just not convinced that Berahino would have done much better or is a much better fit.

I'm not quite sure who is a great fit. But I'm not super exited about us spending £20m+ on Berahino. Quite a few other names being mentioned, some of them I like, some others not so much. But I haven't seen enough of them to say if I think we should sign them or not.

So you don't think we need a proper back up for Kane? People can sit there and say Son and N'jie can fill in but they are not out and out strikers and doubt they would get enough goals to compensate for the loss of Kane if he ever got injured.

You given up on giving examples then?

I would love a proper backup to Kane. I'm not sure one is available in January that would come in and do that job immediately though. I would rather see us take a longer term perspective and bring someone in that will develop into the right player rather than sign someone for the immediate impact of "keeping our tempo". Or wait until the summer, typically a much easier window to do business in to find that player.

Worst case scenario is us spending money on someone who isn't a good fit. Not spending big money is a perfectly fine outcome for me. I trust our current transfer committee to make a good decision.

I've said repeatedly that I think Son would score quite a few playing up front for a counter attacking WBA (pre Pulis) side. I think we showed by playing well in the first half yesterday that he can play that role for us, but obviously not as well as Kane. I'm just not convinced that Berahino would have done much better or is a much better fit.

I'm not quite sure who is a great fit. But I'm not super exited about us spending £20m+ on Berahino. Quite a few other names being mentioned, some of them I like, some others not so much. But I haven't seen enough of them to say if I think we should sign them or not.

You given up on giving examples then?

I would love a proper backup to Kane. I'm not sure one is available in January that would come in and do that job immediately though. I would rather see us take a longer term perspective and bring someone in that will develop into the right player rather than sign someone for the immediate impact of "keeping our tempo". Or wait until the summer, typically a much easier window to do business in to find that player.

Worst case scenario is us spending money on someone who isn't a good fit. Not spending big money is a perfectly fine outcome for me. I trust our current transfer committee to make a good decision.

I don't understand yours and Jordinho's negativity in terms of bringing in Berahino, our manager and his scouting set up have identified him as some one who would be a good fit in our team even with the price tag. So discussions about Son, Njie or Chadli covering for Kane are academic, because we know that Poch wanted Berahino despite having all those players available to him. I have no doubt if it was not for the difficulties in getting the deal over the line he would now be a Spurs player. As good as those three players are, they are not strikers who could lead the line as effectively as Berahino.

One thing with Berahino is his ability to score outside of the box which comes in handy when teams are sitting deep (someone Who will actually shoot). He reminds me a lot of Defoe but with slightly more flexibility and he is an alternative to Kane as a forward as well as one who can play on the left of the 3 so we can offload Townsend and chadli and still have no net spend

My thoughts on Berahino is that his game is actually very complimentary to our style of play. Yes he did well in a counter attacking West Brom team, but I don't see him as a Darren Bent type player who is only likely to do well in that sort of team. From what I have seen of Berahino he offers good movement and awareness, has a good touch, finds space in the box, is a good finisher and has good body strength. I think he is perfectly able to play with his back to goal, use his body strength and good control to hold off the defender and allow his team to start attacks (where I don't think Son is able to do this).

When watching a player it is sometimes best to ignore the way that his team does/doesn't play (as the player has no real say in this) and instead look at the attributes that they have.

Back