• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

I don't understand yours and Jordinho's negativity in terms of bringing in Berahino, our manager and his scouting set up have identified him as some one who would be a good fit in our team even with the price tag. So discussions about Son, Njie or Chadli covering for Kane are academic, because we know that Poch wanted Berahino despite having all those players available to him. I have no doubt if it was not for the difficulties in getting the deal over the line he would now be a Spurs player. As good as those three players are, they are not strikers who could lead the line as effectively as Berahino.

Well, we have rumours saying that he was a big target for us this summer. Even accepting that as fact for the sake of argument, we don't really know what the plan was with Berahino. It might be that we wanted him more for one of the wide or attacking midfield roles, before Lamela and Alli stepped up big time. Not necessarily seen as a great backup for Kane.

I suppose we'll see this January. If we were really identified him as the perfect signing in the summer I assume we will go in for him heavily now too?

I have said repeatedly that I trust our transfer committee to make good decisions. But that doesn't mean I won't voice my disagreements on here when we're being linked with a player if I don't see how he's a great fit for the role it's being speculated that he will fill.

My thoughts on Berahino is that his game is actually very complimentary to our style of play. Yes he did well in a counter attacking West Brom team, but I don't see him as a Darren Bent type player who is only likely to do well in that sort of team. From what I have seen of Berahino he offers good movement and awareness, has a good touch, finds space in the box, is a good finisher and has good body strength. I think he is perfectly able to play with his back to goal, use his body strength and good control to hold off the defender and allow his team to start attacks (where I don't think Son is able to do this).

When watching a player it is sometimes best to ignore the way that his team does/doesn't play (as the player has no real say in this) and instead look at the attributes that they have.

Indeed... I have kind of replied to this in the Berahino thread as well.... My thoughts are that you are looking primarily at the way that West Brom play/have played as opposed to looking at the attributes of the play. I would say that Berahino's qualities are his ability to strike the ball (similar to Kane), his ability to find space in the box (similar to Kane), his ability to make intelligent runs to open up through balls to him (similar to Kane) and his workrate (similar to Kane). I also think he is a lot closer to Kane than Son is in his ability to receive the ball with his back to goal and hold off a defender.

I would say that when we play with Son up top then we alter our style of play so that we play with a false 9 (which is a decent option to have in the locker). However if we had Berahino then we could rest Kane and still play the same formation and tactics. I don't think it is "Berahino or nobody" but I do think we need somebody to come in in that position and it would seem to me that Berahino is pretty sure to be available for transfer in January, the manager wanted him in the Summer, he is proven in the Premier League, he is the right age for us, wants to join us and has already played with several of our players in England age group football.

It's difficult to directly compare attributes across playing styles though. Good movement, awareness and finding space in a counter attacking team is very different from doing the same against an organized team parking the bus.

I agree that Berahino has some attributes that would make him a good fit for us. I also agree that he seems talented and how far he could come under Pochettino is difficult to judge.

I just don't see him as anywhere near a perfect signing in terms of the attributes he brings. And I don't see him as a particularly good backup for Kane. For the money being talked about I would have hoped for a bit more. Particularly seeing as we now have a lot of proven or semi-proven options for the roles Berahino would likely play if he plays with Kane (attacking midfield trio). Something that wasn't he case in the summer.

I just don't want him....period. Overrated, expensive and an expert toy thrower out of said pram!
Fair enough if you don't rate him but we don't really know what the price will be yet. Less than we offered in the summer I would think, so we can't really say if he is expensive or not yet.

The way I see it is that the transfer committee deemed him a worthy target in the summer so I imagine 6 months passing probably hasn't changed their minds. I can see this one happening for about £15-16 mil, which is not outlandish considering the prices being paid for strikers these days.

If Levy manages to get the £14m which he is reportedly looking for for Townsend, then spending over £20m on Berahino seems a lot more justifiable(assuming similar splits of upfront payments, deferred etc) - Townsend is completely surplus to requirements and is adding nothing, whereas Berahino plays in a position where we're desperately short.

If Levy manages to get the £14m which he is reportedly looking for for Townsend, then spending over £20m on Berahino seems a lot more justifiable(assuming similar splits of upfront payments, deferred etc) - Townsend is completely surplus to requirements and is adding nothing, whereas Berahino plays in a position where we're desperately short.

This could a ploy sorted between Peace and Levy...possibly

We offer Townsend + £10m. Peace can say look we basically got £24m for Berahino, while we all know he isnt worth that right now £7m?? So Levy can say we basically only paid £17m for him

Only a spaced-out theory though....

what's that, peace has made a point of releasing a statement saying a player isn't for sale, despite no one actually putting in a bid this window for the player

now, I'm no expert, but reading between the lines, the message I'm getting is, "PLEASE COME AND BID FOR HIM, HES VERY MUCH FOR SALE!"

what's that, peace has made a point of releasing a statement saying a player isn't for sale, despite no one actually putting in a bid this window for the player

now, I'm no expert, but reading between the lines, the message I'm getting is, "PLEASE COME AND BID FOR HIM, HES VERY MUCH FOR SALE!"

Or

"I'm an attention seeking clown shoe who get off on this sort of thing."

Back