• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

Was purely dingdong waving by Peace. Pulis was completely open to selling him as he knows that Berahino doesn't fit his style of play. I think Pulis would rather have the 15 to 20 million quid to spend on a few more players built like Rugby back row forwards

This for me as well, when it happened a lot of fans were blaming the mess on Levy but its pretty clear now that Peace was the one who made a dingdong of himself.

This for me as well, when it happened a lot of fans were blaming the mess on Levy but its pretty clear now that Peace was the one who made a dingdong of himself.
Levy didn't help either by lowballing initially and also waiting until the last knockings of the window before he got serious. I don't think either came out with much credit to be honest, although Peace will probably end up coming off the worse as I doubt WBA will end up getting the £20 odd million that we offered on the last day (even if they do manage to get a better initial lump sum to use for transfers this Jan).

Reactions: DTA
So at what point would Berahino be good enough to sign for us?.... Let's assume he went to (as an example) Crystal Palace this January and scored 12 goals in the second half of this season. Would he then be a good signing for us? (If he did this he would effectively be at the same sort of point at which Lukaku was when Everton paid £28 million for him).

Considering we couldn't get Lukaku even if we offered Everton £40 million for him, but could probably get Berahino for £18 million (if structured in the right way)... I'll ask you what striker you would like to see us bring in who would cost the same sort of amount?

I know we couldn't get Lukaku and I am not saying we should I am saying I don't rate Berahino.

If Berahino goes to Palace and scores 12 goals after Christmas I would be shocked in all honesty. When would I like us to sign him? When he has more than one season scoring and proves he doesn't sulk, people will say that his price will inflate if that happens but you get what you pay for in my book.

Who should we sign instead? There are a few I would pay abit more for an bank on their history and attitude to be honest, what I would prefer to do is protect our best young striker in Kane and bring in someone to compliment him

Levy didn't help either by lowballing initially and also waiting until the last knockings of the window before he got serious. I don't think either came out with much credit to be honest, although Peace will probably end up coming off the worse as I doubt WBA will end up getting the £20 odd million that we offered on the last day (even if they do manage to get a better initial lump sum to use for transfers this Jan).

Disagree with you over Levy lowballing, its what happens the bidding club will always offer less to start with and then go from there. A lot of Levy haters ( not saying you are) jumped on their Levy bandwagon and started slagging him off without really knowing the facts ( it happens all the time). Since then a lot of fans have seen what has really happened and come to the conclusion it was down to Peace.

Disagree with you over Levy lowballing, its what happens the bidding club will always offer less to start with and then go from there. A lot of Levy haters ( not saying you are) jumped on their Levy bandwagon and started slagging him off without really knowing the facts ( it happens all the time). Since then a lot of fans have seen what has really happened and come to the conclusion it was down to Peace.
I am with Finney. Peace has obviously cut his nose off to spite
his face but that doesn't mean that his version of events, that they were low balled by levy was inaccurate. Being an astute businessman like levy, his behaviour is likely to have been provoked. I think that it has been an unsavoury episode that has not done either club any favours. In the end the person who has most lost out is berahino

I am with Finney. Peace has obviously cut his nose off to spite
his face but that doesn't mean that his version of events, that they were low balled by levy was inaccurate. Being an astute businessman like levy, his behaviour is likely to have been provoked. I think that it has been an unsavoury episode that has not done either club any favours. In the end the person who has most lost out is berahino

Well Stop! Hammer time and I disagree that Levy or Spurs have come out of this looking poorly or to blame.

It is different because the manager wanted Modric and wanted to play him every week in Modric's preferred position. Berahino's manager doesn't want him as a number 9 at all because it doesn't suit his long ball game. My thoughts are that Berahino probably would've buckled down and played well if his manager wanted him as his centre forward. It's hard to buckle down when you know you're not going to get a game however.

Can we expect more of the same from him if Pochettino wants to play him primarily in wide positions? Or if he struggles to get into the side (as Son for example has)? Or if a bigger team comes in for him in a year or two will we get more of the same?

It's different than the Modric situation. But there are similarities, and whereas Modric responded brilliantly Berahino hasn't. I don't see how that's up for debate.

Yeah. Levy should just up and pay the asking price. Just like he should have for Damiao...

This is a pretty standard way to operate in the transfer market, not just for us.

Yeah. Levy should just up and pay the asking price. Just like he should have for Damiao...

This is a pretty standard way to operate in the transfer market, not just for us.

Indeed all this lowballing talk is just flimflam, the buyer starts low the seller starts high and it goes from there. That is how most ( if not all) transfers work.

I didn't see at the time and Still don't see now how Levy is to blame for this. It's not Levys first transfer negotiation I'm sure he knows how it works. If you dont like the bid on the table then you simply refuse it. If the player/agent are aware we are bidding it only takes a second to speak to him and say "look we have this from Spurs, it's a ridiculous fee as I'm sure you can see, we won't sell you until we get a proper one (whatever that may be)" simple as that, everyone knows where they stand. I don't believe for a second Peace did that though, I reckon all Saido saw was the media posturing and the comments from pulis saying WBA should sell him.

The fudge ups came from the west brom end in all this, as some of us were saying at the time there is no good that could come from Peace relaying every bid to the media.

I think Levy is great, one of the best Chairman in the country. However I don't think his tactics with that particular deal could really be praised. Peace acted like a tit and has probably ended up losing out as a result, but IMO our bids weren't handled particularly well.
Can we expect more of the same from him if Pochettino wants to play him primarily in wide positions? Or if he struggles to get into the side (as Son for example has)? Or if a bigger team comes in for him in a year or two will we get more of the same?

It's different than the Modric situation. But there are similarities, and whereas Modric responded brilliantly Berahino hasn't. I don't see how that's up for debate.

The problem is that you are comparing Apples with Oranges..... I wonder whether Modric would've responded in a brilliant way if Redknapp had actually wanted to sell him because he wasn't part of his plans any more only for the chairman to say no? Also if he hadn't been given assurances that he could go in another year's time for a reasonable fee? Also if Redknapp had bought in a replacement player for him, benched him for that replacement player and told him he wasn't going to be playing centre midfield any more but said that he might get a few sub appearances at fullback if he trained well?

There was no official 'asking price' for him.... However it was leaked by agents that £20 million would get him. We made an insulting bid, turned the players head and then left it there to fester hoping that it would force WBA's hand. I know it's business and you can always negotiate up from your opening offer, etc, etc... But we didn't cover ourselves in glory mate. There have been other occasions previously where similar has happened (for example our behaviour when signing Zamora from Brighton was appalling)

Indeed all this lowballing talk is just hogwash, the buyer starts low the seller starts high and it goes from there. That is how most ( if not all) transfers work.
Hmmmmm.... I wonder how we would feel if Man Utd sweet talked Harry Kane's agent for a good while to help ensure that new contracts would not be negotiated with Spurs and then followed that up with a bid of about £15 million for the player?

I think Levy is great, one of the best Chairman in the country. However I don't think his tactics with that particular deal could really be praised. Peace acted like a tit and has probably ended up losing out as a result, but IMO our bids weren't handled particularly well.

The problem is that you are comparing Apples with Oranges..... I wonder whether Modric would've responded in a brilliant way if Redknapp had actually wanted to sell him because he wasn't part of his plans any more only for the chairman to say no? Also if he hadn't been given assurances that he could go in another year's time for a reasonable fee? Also if Redknapp had bought in a replacement player for him, benched him for that replacement player and told him he wasn't going to be playing centre midfield any more but said that he might get a few sub appearances at fullback if he trained well?

There was no official 'asking price' for him.... However it was leaked by agents that £20 million would get him. We made an insulting bid, turned the players head and then left it there to fester hoping that it would force WBA's hand. I know it's business and you can always negotiate up from your opening offer, etc, etc... But we didn't cover ourselves in glory mate. There have been other occasions previously where similar has happened (for example our behaviour when signing Zamora from Brighton was appalling)

For me Modric is a brilliant model pro. His reaction when initially struggling under Ramos, when being played on the left by Redknapp, when he didn't get his move to Chelsea, when the Real move didn't at first work out... All been top notch. Berahino isn't fit to tie his laces in terms of attitude as far as I'm concerned. Only thing Berahino has going for him in that comparison is his age and Modric being a very high bar.

You're talking about hypotheticals. If Modric was in this situation, or if Berahino was in that situation. What we do know is that in the situations they have been in Modric has responded brilliantly several times, Berahino has not.

"Insulting bid"... I just don't get it. How can a bid be insulting?

Levy did what he's done a lot of times, what most big clubs do. He used the pressure of the closing window and the player wanting to leave to his advantage to put WBA under pressure to potentially get the player at a reduced price. To me it seems at least somewhat likely that we just didn't rate Berahino for the kind of price it would have cost to get him. We tried to force the price down to where he would have been a good value buy, Levy successfully put that pressure on WBA (in part with an "insulting bid"), but they chose to hold on to him, perhaps to their disadvantage. This is playing the game that is the transfer market.

I for one do not wish for a chairman to be some kind of utopian gentleman in the transfer market.

Hmmmmm.... I wonder how we would feel if Man Utd sweet talked Harry Kane's agent for a good while to help ensure that new contracts would not be negotiated with Spurs and then followed that up with a bid of about £15 million for the player?

Well other clubs will try to do that... This is reality... Do we call it an insult or do we move the fudge on and try to improve as a club in the world we live in?

Levy plays the game as well as anyone. To not play the game would mean losing out on a lot of value in the transfer market for our club...

How much value in the transfer market would you be willing for Levy to leave on the table not to appear "insulting" to other clubs? £1m a season? £5m a season? £10m a season?

I think its difficult to believe what happened with the bids prior to deadline day as so much has been said that contradicts what the other sides have been saying. From my own personal opinion on things from that point to now, I thought that perhaps from everything that transpired, the deal had definitely been discussed at board level and element of encouragement must have been seen from our side. Seems that their chairman wasn't happy with the bids in terms of overall value and how it was constructed which is fine but don't make that public.

Pulis to me since then has seemed pretty agitated and it looks obvious that he would have preferred the money rather than the player, the player knows this and knows that not only is he not first choice or second choice up top but he isn't really being given a chance out wide either and therefore not playing at all. Berahino is not faultless in this at all and probably needs to try and just knuckle down in the hope that at some point either now or in 6 months time it will be a distant memory but he has to play his part. Looking at it with the limited knowledge we have, it does also appear that Peace had intimated to the player that he wouldn't necessarily stand in his way once a certain value was reached but I dare say it wasn't explained that if it was in small instalments then he wouldn't be going.

Its a massive mess that has screwed up the player's season and both sides probably should have handled it better but ultimately if the publicity had not been given so much oxygen then the player would have had to just get on with it imo. The fact it all went public meant that Berahino could strop a bit because everyone knew about it and was throwing their pearls of wisdom at it.

The same as all transfers you mean, I still think this lowballing is flimflam its the real world not FIFA games.

QUOTE]

There were a lot of fans ( mostly Levy haters) who had that opinion at the time, since then most fans ( thankfully) have seen that it was Peace who was the guilty party and Levy only done what most chairman do.

How anybody on here can criticise Daniel Levy's methods, when they know the square root of 'f*^k all' about transfer negotiations themselves. Is laughable!

Excuse me! I've had lots of transfer dealings over the years and I'll tell you this I always sign my targets. If negotiations are going nowhere it's just a case of adding a new manager at the players club, sticking them in the reserves and spreading payments over 48 months.

Only had a quick scroll through but are people really saying Levy handled this wrong? If The WB chairman had not opened his mouth we would all be non the wiser. Talking about transfer negotiations in public shows signs of a small club and shows just how classless the guy is.

Back