• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

Tbf it would appear that Berahino was the injured party. It hardly makes him joey Barton.

Berahino was targeted by a clutch of Baggies players in a heated dressing room row in the moments after Mats Daehli scored a dramatic last gasp equaliser for Cardiff. Berahino played a misplaced pass in the lead up to the goal. The angry exchanges soon escalated, culminating in Morrison throwing a punch at Berahino. The dust-up threatened to intensify even further, before a West Brom player, understood to be Victor Anichebe, separated the pair. Berahino has been left deeply upset by the episode and by the way West Brom have dealt with the aftermath. He has been disappointed by the lack of support offered to him by his team-mates during the incident, with only Anichebe helping to de-scale the situation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2595258/Saido-Berahino-considers-leaving-West-Bromwich-dressing-room-bust-James-Morrison.html

Berahino was targeted by a clutch of Baggies players in a heated dressing room row in the moments after Mats Daehli scored a dramatic last gasp equaliser for Cardiff. Berahino played a misplaced pass in the lead up to the goal. The angry exchanges soon escalated, culminating in Morrison throwing a punch at Berahino. The dust-up threatened to intensify even further, before a West Brom player, understood to be Victor Anichebe, separated the pair. Berahino has been left deeply upset by the episode and by the way West Brom have dealt with the aftermath. He has been disappointed by the lack of support offered to him by his team-mates during the incident, with only Anichebe helping to de-scale the situation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2595258/Saido-Berahino-considers-leaving-West-Bromwich-dressing-room-bust-James-Morrison.html

What a fantastic club that is, eh? Can't ever see why anyone would throw a strop when denied a chance to move from such a unified, happy establishment - and that too, when Tony 'headbutt in the showers' Pulis is in charge!

I agree, but it can be looked at both ways....though of course he is unlikely to be as bad as Joey Barton (though there was some ITK saying he is being VERY unprofessional right now at WBA and Poch has been put off because of it...)

Surely he'd be getting fined silly by WBA and the press would have got wind of it by now if this was the case? Had the summer been different he'd be a Spurs player now so the club clearly think he is a match. I for one would still like to see him at the club as I think he's got something about him to produce at a high level for club and country.

Surely he'd be getting fined silly by WBA and the press would have got wind of it by now if this was the case? Had the summer been different he'd be a Spurs player now so the club clearly think he is a match. I for one would still like to see him at the club as I think he's got something about him to produce at a high level for club and country.

Do you think it'a in WBA interest to fine him and allow this to get out seeing as they want to sell him at a premium?
No doubt we wanted him in the summer, i'm just saying we/Poch may have hanged their minds since then if they feel his behaviour has shown a different side they don't like (on top of the previous drink-driving issue it could be seen as the last straw as it were)

Either, we'll know if we put in a bid again this month that whatever he has or hasn't done the Poch has not been put off so time will tell

Do you think it'a in WBA interest to fine him and allow this to get out seeing as they want to sell him at a premium?

Fining him yes I do. You can't have a player on a team being VERY unprofessional and the club seemingly allowing him to get away with it, as that breeds disharmony around the squad.

I remember reading a recent Pulis quote that said something along the lines that Berahino still needed to apply himself more consistently in training before getting a starting place, but that it wasn't a big deal and they wanted to keep him at the club. That to me sounds like someone who took a knock when his summer transfer collapsed and it's taken him some time to reapply himself, but it doesn't scream to me he's being unprofessional.

But your right it'll be interesting to see if we go back in for him now or this summer.

Fining him yes I do. You can't have a player on a team being VERY unprofessional and the club seemingly allowing him to get away with it, as that breeds disharmony around the squad.

I remember reading a recent Pulis quote that said something along the lines that Berahino still needed to apply himself more consistently in training before getting a starting place, but that it wasn't a big deal and they wanted to keep him at the club. That to me sounds like someone who took a knock when his summer transfer collapsed and it's taken him some time to reapply himself, but it doesn't scream to me he's being unprofessional.

But your right it'll be interesting to see if we go back in for him now or this summer.

The ITK that someone posted suggested his behaviour behind the scenes was much worse than what Pulis was talking about in the press. IF that piece of ITK was true then it would make sense for Pulis to sort of play it down in the press really.

We'll certainly see either way in terms of if we make a bid or not imo

The ITK that someone posted suggested his behaviour behind the scenes was much worse than what Pulis was talking about in the press. IF that piece of ITK was true then it would make sense for Pulis to sort of play it down in the press really.

We'll certainly see either way in terms of if we make a bid or not imo
It doesn't surprise me that Berahino's behaviour wouldn't be top notch. He had an opportunity in the Summer to move to a bigger club fighting for bigger goals. A club who would've tripled his wages, a club that has a number of players he has played with at England under 21 level, with a number of those now pushing through to the full England team. The chance to play for a club with a dynamic, young manager who sets his team up to play a style of football that suits Berahino down to the ground. A club who's participation in the Cups and Europe would give plenty of chances to play his favoured number 9 position. Add to this the fact that his manager at WBA actually wanted to sell him, only for the Chairman to want to get in a dingdong waving competition with Levy as he was unhappy with the way we went about trying to sign him and the timing of our bids.

Berahino does not fit Pulis' style of play at all. He knows that at best he is third choice at number 9 for WBA (and possibly even 4th) because he doesn't have the power to bully defenders like Rondon, Lambert and Anichebe (is he still there?) do, he is therefore completely unsuited to Pulis' scrappy, long ball game. He also isn't really a traditional winger who will go wide and get crosses in, so doesn't fit Pullis' idea of a number 7 or 11. Ergo he is pretty much guaranteed to be on the bench at best and even if he does come on he is having to play a style of football to which doesn't compliment his skills, which at the age of 21 is doing his career no good at all.

At the end of last season Berahino probably had an outside chance of making the England Euro 2016 squad, that chance has probably now gone. Not because of poor play or even poor attitude, but simply because his manager favours a style of football that Berahino is completely unsuited to playing. In addition to this the moment may have passed for Spurs to want him, which could lead to him either ending up at a club of lower standing or perhaps a club of slightly higher standing but with very much a bit part role.

I completely understand Berahino's behaviour and don't blame him for it. This is his career that is being set back here. For those of you that compare his behaviour with that of Luka Modric, the difference is that Modric was wanted badly by Redknapp and indeed Modric was probably the first name on the team sheet for that manager. Redknapp also played a style of football that suited Modric down to the ground. Modric was also given assurances that he could leave in another year's time for a reasonable transfer fee. Contrast this to Berahino who's chairman has denied him a £20 odd million move despite his manager not really wanting him and him being 3rd of 4th choice centre forward.

It doesn't surprise me that Berahino's behaviour wouldn't be top notch. He had an opportunity in the Summer to move to a bigger club fighting for bigger goals. A club who would've tripled his wages, a club that has a number of players he has played with at England under 21 level, with a number of those now pushing through to the full England team. The chance to play for a club with a dynamic, young manager who sets his team up to play a style of football that suits Berahino down to the ground. A club who's participation in the Cups and Europe would give plenty of chances to play his favoured number 9 position. Add to this the fact that his manager at WBA actually wanted to sell him, only for the Chairman to want to get in a dingdong waving competition with Levy as he was unhappy with the way we went about trying to sign him and the timing of our bids.

Berahino does not fit Pulis' style of play at all. He knows that at best he is third choice at number 9 for WBA (and possibly even 4th) because he doesn't have the power to bully defenders like Rondon, Lambert and Anichebe (is he still there?) do, he is therefore completely unsuited to Pulis' scrappy, long ball game. He also isn't really a traditional winger who will go wide and get crosses in, so doesn't fit Pullis' idea of a number 7 or 11. Ergo he is pretty much guaranteed to be on the bench at best and even if he does come on he is having to play a style of football to which doesn't compliment his skills, which at the age of 21 is doing his career no good at all.

At the end of last season Berahino probably had an outside chance of making the England Euro 2016 squad, that chance has probably now gone. Not because of poor play or even poor attitude, but simply because his manager favours a style of football that Berahino is completely unsuited to playing. In addition to this the moment may have passed for Spurs to want him, which could lead to him either ending up at a club of lower standing or perhaps a club of slightly higher standing but with very much a bit part role.

I completely understand Berahino's behaviour and don't blame him for it. This is his career that is being set back here. For those of you that compare his behaviour with that of Luka Modric, the difference is that Modric was wanted badly by Redknapp and indeed Modric was probably the first name on the team sheet for that manager. Redknapp also played a style of football that suited Modric down to the ground. Modric was also given assurances that he could leave in another year's time for a reasonable transfer fee. Contrast this to Berahino who's chairman has denied him a £20 odd million move despite his manager not really wanting him and him being 3rd of 4th choice centre forward.

Arguably 3rd or 4th choice centre forward... But easily competing to be first choice in the wide areas (where people are speculating we would often play him), or perhaps even as a central attacking midfielder. But he's seemingly been behind Sessegnon for quite a few games in those areas. Another player that's far from a "Pulis player" the way you describe it. A player that though good, is nowhere near the level where I would want us to sign him.

A different attitude and he could easily have gotten more starts this season. Though probably not as many as he would have wanted as a central striker.

The situation is comparable to the Modric situation, though of course not exactly the same. Modric was older though and an absolute top level professional so it's a high bar to set, I'll admit that.

Not saying that we can read from what happened that Berahino's attitude is poor. But it's difficult to say based on what's happened that he has a very good attitude or mentality. And I think we're in the business of looking for that very high level.

Yeh all opinions but I have seen enough of him as a player and worse as a person to know I wouldn't want him....as for having a season of not doing anything (this season) it sh1ts on his last season and if we parted with anymore I wouldn't want it to be more than 10m

I have the contrasting opinion to you and I would love to have Berahino join Spurs this month.
Poch obviously wanted him 6 months ago so playing style wise we know he is a target. I doubt if we'll go in with as much money though. 15m max I would say.

His behaviour has not been exemplary but at least it can be somewhat explained based on the circumstances he finds himself in. He's a young man who's had a potentially career defining switch denied for the wrong reasons (in his eyes).No surprise he's miffed but he'll get over it quickly if he gets a move.

Last edited:
I read a lovely article about Poch and how he judges players on their off the pitch ability as much as on, look at Lennon, Townsend and Ade....I think he has burnt a bridge with us by the way he acted at WBA

Weren't we trying to put a similar positive slant on Ade before we bought him - then when it went tits up, agreed we should have paid heed to the warning signs!

Hopefully with Mackenzie, Mitchell and Metcalf on the case we've got some more imaginative suggestions.

They pulled Wimmer and Njie out of nowhere last summer and both look decent signings (right tools/amount of potential for the role we need them to play in the squad).

Poch obviously wanted him 6 months ago so playing style wise we know he is a target. I doubt if we'll go in with as much money though. 15m max I would say.

His behaviour has not be exemplary but at least it can be somewhat explained based on the circumstances he finds himself in. He's a young man who's had a potentially career defining switch denied for the wrong reasons (in his eyes).No suprise he's miffed but he'll get over it quickly if he gets a move.

Indeed, it is not like WBA refused to sell him because the manager saw him as an integral part of his team, we all know Pullis wanted to get rid of him, that cannot really do much for the lad's confidence.

I read a lovely article about Poch and how he judges players on their off the pitch ability as much as on, look at Lennon, Townsend and Ade....I think he has burnt a bridge with us by the way he acted at WBA
I think it is unfair to tar Townsend with the brush of behaving poorly off the pitch. He is dedicated to football and is a good trainer. He had a little incident with one of the fitness coaches that was no doubt born out of frustration at not playing, but that was a pretty minor incident and since then he has even asked to play for the under 21s to keep up his sharpness.

Hopefully with Mackenzie, Mitchell and Metcalf on the case we've got some more imaginative suggestions.

They pulled Wimmer and Njie out of nowhere last summer and both look decent signings (right tools/amount of potential for the role we need them to play in the squad).
Do they? N'Jie has barely done anything of note so far and I can't remember Wimmer making a single appearance in the PL?

I would much prefer to see Berahino coming on to play as the number 9 for the final 20 minutes of games than N'Jie (who looks ok out wide but looks a bit lost as the CF I think).

I feel that N'Jie was a stop-gap signing because we didn't get Berahino. I reckon he'll go the way of Stambouli, though it wouldn't be the first time I have been spectacularly wrong.

Back