• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

You can’t say I don’t take on board the flip side when I said i ageee with Nayim regarding his reasons why a player should join Spurs ahead of Utd. But even though I agree that the benefits are greater for a young player here,the harsh reality is that the majority of players would still pick Utd. Yes we all know Sanchez picked us, but there’s hardly a shedload of other examples to draw on to suggest that’s the norm.....

I'd suggest it's massively the norm, we are the best example in England. Dortmund have been the best example in Germany, and Atletico have been a great example in Spain. I'm sure a bunch of the players Dortmund have signed over the last 5-7 years could have become squad players at bigger clubs but they went there, because they know that they get regular football and get a team based around their strengths. Young players will absolutely choose a super club if there is a clear first 11 spot that needs filling and the club is interested in them, no doubt there. But if the choice is squad player there vs first 11 with us, I'd say we'll pick up our fair share of wins in those deals, and I'd probably say we win 50% of the time or higher.

Look at Chelsea in early Roman era. SWP. Joe Cole. Scott Parker. Glen Johnson. All players that if they got regular football in a top 6 team may well have developed to the point that they would then actually be as trusted as an Arjen Robben maybe 2-3 years later. But they went early, never hit their potential and began a tumble down the League when they left.

True, I just think it’s pretty obvious and if you asked a sample of neutral fans outside of a Spurs forum they’d agree with me. I used to wonder why fans of other teams say they hate Spurs fans because they think their team is bigger and better than they are and amongst my spurs friends I didn’t see that. But listening to some of the chat on here and having to actually debate whether a youngster is more would be more attracted to Spurs or Man U actually makes me understand such rationale....

But you’re basing your on international size and stature of club! Are Man Utd a “bigger” club than us in that sense? Yes. Does that necessarily make them the best path for an exciting young talent to take? Especially with Mr 3 Years No Youth Reliance in charge? I would say not.

Take Zaha. He went to Utd at a time of flux for the club and did not get the care and coaching he needed. You could argue that he lost two to three years of his career with that move.

I am simply looking at this from the young talent perspective and in the last decade, our record of developing young talent into major stars is virtually untouched.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

But you’re basing your on international size and stature of club! Are Man Utd a “bigger” club than us in that sense? Yes. Does that necessarily make them the best path for an exciting young talent to take? Especially with Mr 3 Years No Youth Reliance in charge? I would say not.

Take Zaha. He went to Utd at a time of flux for the club and did not get the care and coaching he needed. You could argue that he lost two to three years of his career with that move.

I am simply looking at this from the young talent perspective and in the last decade, our record of developing young talent into major stars is virtually untouched.

For the millionth time, I’m saying the reality is that most youngsters would still pick Man Utd. I am not for one second saying Going to Man Utd is the right choice....

Harrys opinion, in his mind, is fact. Theres no debating with that mindset.

"I agree with you but youre wrong because I know what everyone outside of small minded Spurs fans, including young footballers, thinks"

OK. I just don’t think the facts bear that out in the last decade...

What facts Steff? All anyone keeps referencing is Sanchez rejecting Barca for us. This isn't a regular occurence, the vast majority of young players still choose to go to the super power clubs who show an interest, and then take a backwards step a couple of years later...

Harrys opinion, in his mind, is fact. Theres no debating with that mindset.

"I agree with you but youre wrong because I know what everyone outside of small minded Spurs fans, including young footballers, thinks"
Not at all, Ive had plenty of debates on here where I have come around to someone who had a different opinion to me. This happens to be one where Ive not been presented with any evidence as to why young players WILL pick Spurs over Man U. I already agree they SHOULD pick us as a better place to develop, but if Man U make a major play for a youngster most are going to get a lot more excited over that than if we do IMO.....

Not at all, Ive had plenty of debates on here where I have come around to someone who had a different opinion to me. This happens to be one where Ive not been presented with any evidence as to why young players WILL pick Spurs over Man U. I already agree they SHOULD pick us as a better place to develop, but if Man U make a major play for a youngster most are going to get a lot more excited over that than if we do IMO.....

This is my point. You agree with the argument, and simultaneously dismiss it because you know what everyone else thinks.

You know what players think, you know what other fans think, and - rather distastefully - you also infer there is some pro Spurs bias on here (on the argument you agree with) and understand why other fans dont like us.

Do you not see how that comes across?

This is my point. You agree with the argument, and simultaneously dismiss it because you know what everyone else thinks.

You know what players think, you know what other fans think, and - rather distastefully - you also infer there is some pro Spurs bias on here (on the argument you agree with) and understand why other fans dont like us.

Do you not see how that comes across?
No, because they are two different debates - Would a young player rather join Spurs or Man U isnt the same debate as who should a player join.

Players mainly follow stature of the club,money, ability to win trophies in whatever order you like - And arguably young players in general even more so because they are naive and starry eyed (yes Im generalising and why I say the majority, not everyone) and lets be honest not always well advised. We are well behind Man U in all three of those things. Poch demonstrating that he can develop a few young players is great and is a big plus but you really think for that for most is going to outweigh what Man U offers? I mean really? If there was a poll of the top 100 most talented youngsters being asked would they rather sign for Spurs or Man U, you think we'd get more votes?

Yes I do think there is a lot of Spurs bias on here, sure you can claim its natural part of being a fan and thats partly true. I dont love Spurs any less than anyone else in here, but the way some talk down clubs on here that have won more than us, the way some suggest winning trophies isnt that big a factor in order to keep our players etc Is quite frankly cringeworthy, and were we a club that did actually win a trophy or two would be signing a very different tune.....

Its the same debate. It is stated Sessegnon could well prefer to sign for us, and why - you dismiss it completely with your 100% conviction that you know what people think and why, and you are obviously right because "its Utd".

Its funny you talk about people talking down other clubs, on here you seem to do it Spurs rather a lot. A lot of the time I get it, long time fans are natural pessimists, but there are times like this where it leaves a really sour taste. Especially as your argument is no more than opinion, and you seem to be having a sly dig at the rest of us to back it up.

Whether thats your intention or not, I dont know - I only know how its coming across in this thread, and have to take it at face value at this point.

Ultimately there is a perfectly logical and acceptable reason as to why young players would come to us. It is valid. And is a fair feather in our cap were we in for a player against a bigger team.

Of course, it doesnt mean we would automatically get the player, nobody is saying that. People are arguing with you for your complete dismissal of our chances. Which isnt, imo, a fair point at all.

You come across like you dont understand nuance or are unable to apply context and are taking up opposition to arguments that people arent making, tbqh

No one has said in a black and white context that trophies aren't important or that Pochettino is a better manager than Guadiola or that young players will choose us over United when offered the same terms etc etc yet you're arguing against those points and using them to build a pretty big straw man of a spurs supporter to cringe over...

Last edited:
Its the same debate. It is stated Sessegnon could well prefer to sign for us, and why - you dismiss it completely with your 400% conviction that you know what people think and why, and you are obviously right because "its Utd".

Its funny you talk about people talking down other clubs, on here you seem to do it Spurs rather a lot. A lot of the time I get it, long time fans are natural pessimists, but there are times like this where it leaves a really sour taste. Especially as your argument is no more than opinion, and you seem to be having a sly dig at the rest of us to back it up.

Whether thats your intention or not, I dont know - I only know how its coming across in this thread, and have to take it at face value at this point.

Ultimately there is a perfectly logical and acceptable reason as to why young players would come to us. It is valid. And is a fair feather in our cap were we in for a player against a bigger team.

Of course, it doesnt mean we would automatically get the player, nobody is saying that. People are arguing with you for your complete dismissal of our chances. Which isnt, imo, a fair point at all.
Yes because it's Utd! If you cant imagine how a youngster would feel with a club the size of Man U coming in for you, then words fail me.

GinolaGinolaGinola summed it up perfectly 'We think we are a big club and the best club for a player to come to, but Liverpool are huge, Arsenal are bigger, Man United are a monster.'

Some can accept this, others like to believe we are dining on the same table when we really arent....

Yes because it's Utd! If you cant imagine how a youngster would feel with a club the size of Man U coming in for you, then words fail me.

GinolaGinolaGinola summed it up perfectly 'We think we are a big club and the best club for a player to come to, but Liverpool are huge, Arsenal are bigger, Man United are a monster.'

Some can accept this, others like to believe we are dining on the same table when we really arent....

Every youngster?
They wouldn't all feel the same.
I suppose they'd probably all be flattered. But they wouldn't all feel it to be the best move for their career.
Many would, with enough ego and self-confidence they'd say that they'd be a Rashford rather than a Powell.
But some have a little more self-awareness/realism and would be a bit more considered.

And this just proves Billys point, you are arguing things that arent even there. Straw man ahoy.

Back