• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

So...Bale - world star, Modders - world star, Berba - star, Carrick - star, Kane - supermegageniusgodstar, Alli - star, Eriksen - star...Son - star, Walker, Rose, Trippier, Dier all internationals...Winks - rising star and full international...

Thing is, regardless of size of club etc, it undeniable that a young player will have a better chance to shine under the London spotlight with us. You mention Martial - mistreated by manager. Linguard - in and out. Shaw - fudged off and only being used now because manager cannot buy, Rashford - on the verge of being mismanaged...

Sessegnon, if he moves, will end up here IMO.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Steff everyone is aware of the players we’ve progressed. But unfortunately when Utd come calling players seldom turn them down,you can’t guarantee a club of that stature would ever come back in for you no matter how good you think you’re going to be....

Dear lord I can’t believe this debate is actually still happening.

Just to be clear, I was debating that all things being equal a young player would pick Man Utd over us more often than not. Yes I’m well aware what we can offer, but when a young kid is shown around Old Trafford and meets Mourinho who has a massive aura around him whether you think he develops players or not, and all those ££££ plus the thought of wearing the Utd jersey I’m sorry we are going to lose out most of the time - I can’t believe that is actually up for debate!

However, like you said Utd don’t often go for this level of player, I don’t think they’re really in for him. But if they were to pull all the stops out to get him as we do when trying to sign potential stars I think they would beat us to him....

I agree all things being equal of course the player chooses United over Spurs but the point that i (and i believe @nayimfromthehalfwayline ) am/are making is that all things are not equal when we are in for a young player along with a host of bigger clubs - for the reasons outlined over the past few posts :)

Fair points Billy. The issue is that all footballers know that the next contract they sign could be their last and therefore their agents will often seek to protect them as much as they can with every contract. Admittedly we have a good recent record with young players and I think players with a good family behind them and good advice from an agent that is acting in their client's long term career interests are quite likely to be swayed in our direction if all other things are reasonably equal.

I would imagine that a Man Utd wage offer to a player like Sessegnon would be around 60k a week. Possibly about double what we would be offering him. Obviously I don't know the player, but from past experience there would be very few
players of any age that would turn down Man Utd to earn smaller wages elsewhere.
One thing that Poch does not want to do is over-pay teenagers. The club believe that exciting teenagers should come in on a decent wage of course, but reflective of their actual achievements. As Levy has shown, once progress is made in our shirt, pay rises can often happen two or three times a season. A teenager who places the most money over footballing matters doesn't excite the club as much as I understand it...

Who: Hercules
When: 20th January
Where: SC

Fulham do not need to sell! They will not be forced to sell! Summer we see. If they are promoted, you know the score. He is very keen on us if they don’t get promoted. Price will be high. We have never stopped talking.
Cannot be more clearer than that. Again, I repeat; We could do no more than we did in summer to get him. He signed a contract, under the advice of people he trusts.

Who : Ninja Tuna
When : 23 January
Where : SC

Sess not dead, but price becoming crazy to almost ridiculous. I personally believe his advisers cut a bad deal on his contract with Fulham. We have to see where that goes.

Fortunately for us it's not just about whether United will offer more money. One ace up our sleeve in recent successful swoops is we have been more prepared to take risks than the likes of United and Liverpool

Bale probably would have gone to United but they dithered whereas we cheerfully coughed up the £5m.

Same for Dele who I believe at one point would have preferred to go to Liverpool except they too baulked at paying the measly £5m or whatever it was whereas we did not hesitate.

Other factors were probably also at play, one of them probably being that the player himself saw a better and faster route to first team football with us than with one of the super-rich clubs.

But the fact that a promising youngster like Sanchez has so recently also preferred us to the mighty Barcelona suggests we still hold that ace (ie of offering regular first team football) over the bigger boys.

A big factor in all of this is Levy's resolute but mostly rewarding strategy of consistently speculating in promising young talent over the years. This has inevitably included a few classic flops such as John Bostock, Gilberto, Dos Santos and Adel Taarabt as well as a whole raft of players who've enjoyed varying degrees of success or failure before being moved on.

But on balance the likes of Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose et al have more than compensated for any failures and it's these outstanding successes that doubtless shine the brightest torch for future talent to at least consider opting for Tottenham rather than say United or Cheatski in years to come

A big factor in all of this is Levy's resolute but mostly rewarding strategy of consistently speculating in promising young talent over the years. This has inevitably included a few classic flops such as John Bostock, Gilberto, Dos Santos and Adel Taarabt as well as a whole raft of players who've enjoyed varying degrees of success or failure before being moved on.

But on balance the likes of Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose et al have more than compensated for any failures and it's these outstanding successes that doubtless shine the brightest torch for future talent to at least consider opting for Tottenham rather than say United or Cheatski in years to come

Don't make Harr1984 angry..... you wouldn't like him when he's angry.....!! :)

Don't make Harr1984 angry..... you wouldn't like him when he's angry.....!! :)
Lol very little makes me angry...he’s right in What he said. But none of that changes my single point in this thread which is if Man U is in for a young player and so are we, the vast majority will still pick Man Utd....

Lol very little makes me angry...he’s right in What he said. But none of that changes my single point in this thread which is if Man U is in for a young player and so are we, I think that the vast majority will still pick Man Utd....

I would guess that you're right in regards to some players but as far as I can see the argument against your point is that those of us not privy to the innermost thought processes of people that we have never met can't be certain.

So I've fixed your post. :)

I would guess that you're right in regards to some players but as far as I can see the argument against your point is that those of us not privy to the innermost thought processes of people that we have never met can't be certain.

So I've fixed your post. :)
True, I just think it’s pretty obvious and if you asked a sample of neutral fans outside of a Spurs forum they’d agree with me. I used to wonder why fans of other teams say they hate Spurs fans because they think their team is bigger and better than they are and amongst my spurs friends I didn’t see that. But listening to some of the chat on here and having to actually debate whether a youngster is more would be more attracted to Spurs or Man U actually makes me understand such rationale....

I think you need to look at it as a test - if a player wants more money and a very tough path to the first team, he goes to United rather than Spurs... and that is fine with Spurs because we don't want those types of players, that favour money over hard work etc.

#MemphisNeckTattooGoldTeethDepayBlud

I think you need to look at it as a test - if a player wants more money and a very tough path to the first team, he goes to United rather than Spurs... and that is fine with Spurs because we don't want those types of players, that favour money over hard work etc.

#MemphisNeckTattooGoldTeethDepayBlud
Absolutely! But any player who has massive talent is going to believe they are good enough to break into the first team even if it is at Man U where there are more established stars. I think it’s harsh to suggest they would go there just to pick up a pay cheque...

Steff everyone is aware of the players we’ve progressed. But unfortunately when Utd come calling players seldom turn them down,you can’t guarantee a club of that stature would ever come back in for you no matter how good you think you’re going to be....

I think it happens more regularly nowadays, a lot of players are wise to the fact that it's not about getting to the biggest club as soon as you can, and that if you think you have the potential to be one of the best in the world in your position, you need to play week in week out rather than be a bit part player.

I'm sure Sanchez could have gone to Barca. That doesn't mean I think we are a more attractive option than Barca for the best players, but that a lot of players now will have considered things carefully and reasoned that regular first team football and £70k per week is going to be better than irregular football and £100k a week. Because if you become one of the best in the world, you will be earning 150-200k per week and more as you get better and better. There's enough examples now of players moving to a superclub too soon, not getting enough football in the right kind of environment, and then sliding back down. Did Martin Odegaard think he'd be playing for Heerenveen today when he first signed for Real Madrid?

If Man United had a clear first team spot, regular starts, more money, and more likelihood of CL, then Sess would probably go there. But if they say, hey come and join us, fight with Shaw and Young, work under the pressure that Mourinho puts under young players etc etc, he would probably come to us.

True, I just think it’s pretty obvious and if you asked a sample of neutral fans outside of a Spurs forum they’d agree with me. I used to wonder why fans of other teams say they hate Spurs fans because they think their team is bigger and better than they are and amongst my spurs friends I didn’t see that. But listening to some of the chat on here and having to actually debate whether a youngster is more would be more attracted to Spurs or Man U actually makes me understand such rationale....

Fair enough, I get your veiwpoint, but I think you're still stating your own suppositions as fact and not taking on board the flip-side.

Let's be honest, there's not a lot of 'neutral' fans out there - we all have our own (often irrational) likes & dislikes outside of the team we support and in my experience Spurs are very much a polarising club for non-Spurs fans - especially over the last few years when we've stepped it up - and from what I've seen and read I would say that there's a lot of opposing fans that can't stand us. Not necessarily because we as fans think we are bigger than we actually are (although there's more than a few fans out there that do, obviously), but for a multitude of reasons and ultimately they will mostly have their own reasons and agendas. Doesn't always make their views right, though, IMO, 'cos us football fans are brilliant at talking brick regardless of what top we wear on match day!! :)

The confusing point for me from your last post is that from what I remember no-one in this thread that has disagreed with your comments has actually been overly Spurs-biased or arrogant yet we have a Spurs fan saying that Spurs fans are arrogant for even thinking that they could compete for such players.

Bonkers.

If we were discussing, say, Ronaldo, Neymar or Griezmann and posters on here were saying we should be trying to compete for their signatures then I would be inclined to agree with you but the counter point has been made again and again in regards to Sessegnon (and young players of that ilk in general) and there's no denying that our recent history of signing and developing them backs that up, IMO, and doesn't sound arrogant (or whatever noun you want to use) to me.

Ramble over!!

If that's in reference to the last few pages i think you have done the people you were debating with a disservice there tbh

Fair enough, I get your veiwpoint, but I think you're still stating your own suppositions as fact and not taking on board the flip-side.

Let's be honest, there's not a lot of 'neutral' fans out there - we all have our own (often irrational) likes & dislikes outside of the team we support and in my experience Spurs are very much a polarising club for non-Spurs fans - especially over the last few years when we've stepped it up - and from what I've seen and read I would say that there's a lot of opposing fans that can't stand us. Not necessarily because we as fans think we are bigger than we actually are (although there's more than a few fans out there that do, obviously), but for a multitude of reasons and ultimately they will mostly have their own reasons and agendas. Doesn't always make their views right, though, IMO, 'cos us football fans are brilliant at talking brick regardless of what top we wear on match day!! :)

The confusing point for me from your last post is that from what I remember no-one in this thread that has disagreed with your comments has actually been overly Spurs-biased or arrogant yet we have a Spurs fan saying that Spurs fans are arrogant for even thinking that they could compete for such players.

Bonkers.

If we were discussing, say, Ronaldo, Neymar or Griezmann and posters on here were saying we should be trying to compete for their signatures then I would be inclined to agree with you but the counter point has been made again and again in regards to Sessegnon (and young players of that ilk in general) and there's no denying that our recent history of signing and developing them backs that up, IMO, and doesn't sound arrogant (or whatever noun you want to use) to me.

Ramble over!!
You can’t say I don’t take on board the flip side when I said i ageee with Nayim regarding his reasons why a player should join Spurs ahead of Utd. But even though I agree that the benefits are greater for a young player here,the harsh reality is that the majority of players would still pick Utd. Yes we all know Sanchez picked us, but there’s hardly a shedload of other examples to draw on to suggest that’s the norm.....

If that's in reference to the last few pages i think you have done the people you were debating with a disservice there tbh
Not just this debate no. Claiming that winning trophies aren’t important in order to keep our players was a personal highlight. Posters talking down Mourinho and Guardiola in comparison to Poch who has not achieved anything beyond awakening a sleeping giant another classic. There are more, a lot do give off the impression they believe we are bigger than we really are considering we have won naff all in this era.....

Not just this debate no. Claiming that winning trophies aren’t important in order to keep our players was a personal highlight. Posters talking down Mourinho and Guardiola in comparison to Poch who has not achieved anything beyond awakening a sleeping giant another classic. There are more, a lot do give off the impression they believe we are bigger than we really are considering we have won naff all in this era.....

i have read plenty of good debate regarding each of those subjects on here and rarely do i come across people who have the mindset that we're bigger than we are

Back