• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

Do we not? How many do we know we miss out on for sure?

So far as I can see we have signed more players than missed out on, even in the face of competition.

"Vast Majority" is still the same as plucking "90%" out of the air. I disagree, obviously. But lets be honest, its not quantifiable either way, so would you agree there is little point batting it back and forth?

I think you are wrong, you think the same of me. I can live with that.
Are you kidding?! Jeez, the amount of players I’ve seen sign for clubs and say they rejected Spurs - but then of course, you just remember the one guy who rejected going to Barca for us, why am I not surprised....

Are you kidding?! Jeez, the amount of players I’ve seen sign for clubs and say they rejected Spurs - but then of course, you just remember the one guy who rejected going to Barca for us, why am I not surprised....

List them. Players we have really been in for and missed out on.

Willian is the only one that springs to mind in recent memory, and that was 5 years ago.

Interesting. I would be surprised if any more than 10% of young footballers would take your viewpoint. My father was an agent for a while a number of years ago. The number 1 factor for 90%+ of players is how much money they will earn. Remember that a move to Man Utd will also generate larger personal commercial deals as well as a bigger pay packet.
Exactly, but of course 18 year old kids would rather come to Spurs over Man U because Poch has developed a few players....

Interesting. I would be surprised if any more than 10% of young footballers would take your viewpoint. My father was an agent for a while a number of years ago. The number 1 factor for 90%+ of players is how much money they will earn. Remember that a move to Man Utd will also generate larger personal commercial deals as well as a bigger pay packet.

I dont know how long ago he was an agent, but I would certainly hope players are getting smarter - having seen the many examples where young players have gone to waste on moves like that. Sanchez being a nice example.

And Im struggling at this point to think of many young players that have taken that option in recent seasons, where as the likes of us and Everton seem to be doing well.

For a young player like Sessegnon, still well in his teens, the money offered by ourselves and bigger clubs would be comparable - if United were offering a young player wages we couldnt get near then of course it becomes a different scenario.

We can offer a clearer path to the first team than United can offer and with it wage increases that would reflect their rise in stature at the club - Bale turned down United because he was told he had that path to the first team and similarly we beat Liverpool to signing Alli whilst also keeping the likes of Edwards and Onomah on our books when bigger clubs were tapping them up - so there are examples of young talents choosing us over more illustrious clubs, presumably for the aforementioned route to first team football.

Willian is the only one that springs to mind in recent memory, and that was 5 years ago.
No I’m not going to list them,admittedly I couldn’t even remember some of them but I’ve seen it with my own eyes several times and whether you choose to believe me or not I don’t care. Carry on believing, I wish you was right, I really do....

Utd are obviously a bigger draw than Spurs, but our appeal must be increasing with all that is going on at the club. Others like Liverpool and Arsenal have their (relatively) recent successes but we'll not be too far off them in terms of wages paid soon enough I would think. I read on skyscraper city that depending how this CL campaign goes we might break into the top 10 for revenue even without the new stadium. I don't know how reliable that assertion is but I choose to believe it because I want to.

Right so if you asked the majority of teenage footballers whether they'd rather sign for Man Utd or Spurs you really think the majority would say Spurs?! Dear lord, this is another of the classic biased Spurs opinions on here.

You do realise not every young player's career at Man U has stalled? Those good enough get game time - unlike us the youngsters are bedded in rather than playing every week because they already have the quality established players unlike us. See Lindgard, bit part player and has developed and now a fixture in the side, Martial the same, Bailly until his injury was a fixture, Rashford is in and out but will get there if he really is the real deal. Yes we have improved our ability to compete for these players, but we are no way a more attractive option than Man U because of a couple of top 4 finishes and Poch developing a few young players - hes also farmed out plenty of young players so lets not make out we are some holy grail....

So...Bale - world star, Modders - world star, Berba - star, Carrick - star, Kane - supermegageniusgodstar, Alli - star, Eriksen - star...Son - star, Walker, Rose, Trippier, Dier all internationals...Winks - rising star and full international...

Thing is, regardless of size of club etc, it undeniable that a young player will have a better chance to shine under the London spotlight with us. You mention Martial - mistreated by manager. Linguard - in and out. Shaw - fudged off and only being used now because manager cannot buy, Rashford - on the verge of being mismanaged...

Sessegnon, if he moves, will end up here IMO.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Family pressure is important too. Imagine if Spurs are offering 50k a week and Man Utd have 150k a week on the table. For Sessegnon's folks that might help change their lives significantly if Ryan is a good lad and caring about/willing to help out his family.

He himself may prefer to join Spurs from the footballing POV but the money possibly on offer elsewhere is simply mind blowing for a kid his age and his parents/family.

Family pressure is important too. Imagine if Spurs are offering 50k a week and Man Utd have 150k a week on the table. For Sessegnon's folks that might help change their lives significantly if Ryan is a good lad and caring about/willing to help out his family.

He himself may prefer to join Spurs from the footballing POV but the money possibly on offer elsewhere is simply mind blowing for a kid his age and his parents/family.

I realise thats an example for effect, but Billy has already covered it. If the money is that ridiculous Id expect pretty well every player to take it.

Chances are, in reality, the deals on offer will be much more comparable and its really a choice between clubs/paths

How do you know Dier has stayed without any fuss? His form has been poor since this apparent interest so who’s to say there isn’t more to it?

If there was a fuss, it was kept behind closed doors.

His form has been excellent of late, so without much else to go on, it is probably best to put it down to fluctuations in form that all players get.

Seems maybe we're talking at cross purposes with @harr1984 - first team players of course are going to go to the bigger better side where there is more money for essentially the same thing : first team football - but for players like Sessegnon, like Bale and Alli before him, what is on offer from us is a different kettle of fish to whats on offer from clubs like United - we'd pretty much be offering Sessegnon a place in the first team squad and the potential to earn a starting XI place far sooner than were he to join the bigger side, where his route to the first team will be blocked by established players - and that counts for a lot more than i think is being given credit to, especially when the financial rewards are comparable.

Im sure if the route to the first team on offer from both sides was the same and there was less doubt about the patience afforded to young players at a club like United and there was a real sense that the club were serious with their intentions with developing him then the choice would be an easy one : go for the bigger club, but that isnt the case

Last edited:
No I’m not going to list them,admittedly I couldn’t even remember some of them but I’ve seen it with my own eyes several times and whether you choose to believe me or not I don’t care. Carry on believing, I wish you was right, I really do....

I would expect it to be easy if it was really 80-90% of young players would pick United (and presumably other richer clubs) over us.

Seems maybe we're talking at cross purposes with har1984 - first team players of course are going to go to the bigger better side where there is more money for essentially the same thing : first team football - but for players like Sessegnon, like Bale and Alli before him, what is on offer from us is a different kettle of fish to whats on offer from clubs like United - we'd pretty much be offering Sessegnon a place in the first team squad and the potential to earn a starting XI place far sooner than were he to join the bigger side, where his route to the first team will be blocked by established players - and that counts for a lot more than i think is being given credit to, especially when the financial rewards are comparable.

Thats certainly my position. Im talking the Sessegnons of this world, young players with big potential looking to develop their games. Not "finished article" types.

So...Bale - world star, Modders - world star, Berba - star, Carrick - star, Kane - supermegageniusgodstar, Alli - star, Eriksen - star...Son - star, Walker, Rose, Trippier, Dier all internationals...Winks - rising star and full international...

Thing is, regardless of size of club etc, it undeniable that a young player will have a better chance to shine under the London spotlight with us. You mention Martial - mistreated by manager. Linguard - in and out. Shaw - fudged off and only being used now because manager cannot buy, Rashford - on the verge of being mismanaged...

Sessegnon, if he moves, will end up here IMO.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Son is definitely a star.

For a young player like Sessegnon, still well in his teens, the money offered by ourselves and bigger clubs would be comparable - if United were offering a young player wages we couldnt get near then of course it becomes a different scenario.

We can offer a clearer path to the first team than United can offer and with it wage increases that would reflect their rise in stature at the club - Bale turned down United because he was told he had that path to the first team and similarly we beat Liverpool to signing Alli whilst also keeping the likes of Edwards and Onomah on our books when bigger clubs were tapping them up - so there are examples of young talents choosing us over more illustrious clubs, presumably for the aforementioned route to first team football.
The money offered is not comparable. Man Utd's pay structure is a lot higher than ours for players going into their first team squad. Have a look at what players like Lingard and Shaw are earning as examples.

When we went in for Martial early in the same summer than Man Utd ended up paying big money for him. He chose to sign a new deal at Monaco instead of coming to us (Monaco's new salary offer was bigger than the one we were offering had we signed him). Man Utd then more than doubled Martial's Monaco money.

I also disagree that the path to the first team is a lot clearer at Spurs than Man Utd. I think that Shaw is into the last 6 months of his contract there and I'm not sure I see an abundance of left back talent at Man Utd who are better than Rose and Davies for example?

The money offered is not comparable. Man Utd's pay structure is a lot higher than ours for players going into their first team squad. Have a look at what players like Lingard and Shaw are earning as examples.

When we went in for Martial early in the same summer than Man Utd ended up paying big money for him. He chose to sign a new deal at Monaco instead of coming to us (Monaco's new salary offer was bigger than the one we were offering had we signed him). Man Utd then more than doubled Martial's Monaco money.

I also disagree that the path to the first team is a lot clearer at Spurs than Man Utd. I think that Shaw is into the last 6 months of his contract there and I'm not sure I see an abundance of left back talent at Man Utd who are better than Rose and Davies for example?

My point i guess is that United dont tend to buy 17 year olds from the Championship to go in to the first team squad on first team wages - Lingard and Shaw are not comparable here. Were they to do that with Sessegnon then obviously the argument is redundant as it isnt something we can match. My guess would be if they were in for him he'd be farmed out on loan or put in to the academy team/pL2 side and a few cup run outs and i dont think the wages on offer for a player in that vein would be above what we could offer a player who would be joining up with our first team squad - this is how we have beaten bigger sides to the signings of talented youngsters previously - by offering them a bigger part to play in the furst team squad, sooner than what others are offering.

Martial is a different situation - a top level talent known across europe already playing at a CL club who happen to be one of the strongest/richest in their league - signed to compete for a first team position straight away.

Last edited:
My point i guess is that United dont tend to buy 17 year olds from the Championship to go in to the first team squad on first team wages - Lingard and Shaw are not comparable here. Were they to do that with Sessegnon then obviously the argument is redundant as it isnt something we can match. My guess would be if they were in for him he'd be farmed out on loan or put in to the academy team/pL2 side and a few cup run outs and i dont think the wages on offer for a player in that vein would be above what we could offer a player who would be joining up with our first team squad - this is how we have beaten bigger sides to the signings of talented youngsters previously - by offering them a bigger part to play in the furst team squad, sooner than what others are offering.

Martial is a different situation - a top level talent known across europe already playing at a CL club who happen to be one of the strongest/richest in their league - signed to compete for a first team position straight away.
Fair points Billy. The issue is that all footballers know that the next contract they sign could be their last and therefore their agents will often seek to protect them as much as they can with every contract. Admittedly we have a good recent record with young players and I think players with a good family behind them and good advice from an agent that is acting in their client's long term career interests are quite likely to be swayed in our direction if all other things are reasonably equal.

I would imagine that a Man Utd wage offer to a player like Sessegnon would be around 60k a week. Possibly about double what we would be offering him. Obviously I don't know the player, but from past experience there would be very few
players of any age that would turn down Man Utd to earn smaller wages elsewhere.

Dear lord I can’t believe this debate is actually still happening.
Seems maybe we're talking at cross purposes with @harr1984 - first team players of course are going to go to the bigger better side where there is more money for essentially the same thing : first team football - but for players like Sessegnon, like Bale and Alli before him, what is on offer from us is a different kettle of fish to whats on offer from clubs like United - we'd pretty much be offering Sessegnon a place in the first team squad and the potential to earn a starting XI place far sooner than were he to join the bigger side, where his route to the first team will be blocked by established players - and that counts for a lot more than i think is being given credit to, especially when the financial rewards are comparable.

Im sure if the route to the first team on offer from both sides was the same and there was less doubt about the patience afforded to young players at a club like United and there was a real sense that the club were serious with their intentions with developing him then the choice would be an easy one : go for the bigger club, but that isnt the case
Just to be clear, I was debating that all things being equal a young player would pick Man Utd over us more often than not. Yes I’m well aware what we can offer, but when a young kid is shown around Old Trafford and meets Mourinho who has a massive aura around him whether you think he develops players or not, and all those ££££ plus the thought of wearing the Utd jersey I’m sorry we are going to lose out most of the time - I can’t believe that is actually up for debate!

However, like you said Utd don’t often go for this level of player, I don’t think they’re really in for him. But if they were to pull all the stops out to get him as we do when trying to sign potential stars I think they would beat us to him....

Back