• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

I mean, how many years have we had Dier as one of our first-choice CBs? We could've rectified this situation much earlier but maybe Levy/management wanted to see if Sanchez would ever develop or if Tanganga could reliably make the step up. Just wasted time allowing the squad to stagnate until we finally brought in Romero.
The manager we have had have played Dier
Not sure this is on levy as much as some think

The manager we have had have played Dier
Not sure this is on levy as much as some think
The managers that play Dier as first choice CB so far all previously had good reputations in organising defences...surely they would have known Diers potential - so why did they continue to play him?

Lack of other options.

But from the reports I can remember, Conte changed his mind on wanting to sell royal and Sanchez due to the work they were putting in at training.

Towards the end of Conte's time with us he was picking Tanganga over Sanchez to use off the bench.

At least 1 if not both of Sanchez and Tanganga should have been replaced with someone who would push Dier to back up.

And that's fair, the problem is those managers should have understood even a 3rd or 4th choice CB would have been better

Perhaps, or perhaps their other offerings were just not enough to justify the being being at the same or sub standard to dier at the last minute ... Rodon.

Perhaps, or perhaps their other offerings were just not enough to justify the being being at the same or sub standard to dier at the last minute ... Rodon.

Don't know what the budget was then (Rodon timeframe), but we clearly had £40M in Jan, I see no world where there wasn't a CB option better than Sanchez/Dier available, especially as a FB in the role is doing a better job. To prove the point, Lenglet (who shouldn't be first choice but clearly isn't the clusterfudge of the other two) is available for £14M supposedly.

And that's fair, the problem is those managers should have understood even a 3rd or 4th choice CB would have been better
Conte did that with Lenglet when he wanted Bastoni etc.

It's very simple for posters to sit here saying what should have been done when you have zero actual information on what is going on in the real transfer market world rather than the one we have access to on Twitter. Especially when transfers are involving Spurs, it's just not that simple....

Don't know what the budget was then (Rodon timeframe), but we clearly had £40M in Jan, I see no world where there wasn't a CB option better than Sanchez/Dier available, especially as a FB in the role is doing a better job. To prove the point, Lenglet (who shouldn't be first choice but clearly isn't the clusterfudge of the other two) is available for £14M supposedly.

Perhaps Mourinho/ Conte were prepared to wait to get their choice in CB rather than what was offered/ scouted at the time. I think Dier is in team by default rather than merit.

Mourinho was a big fan of Dier wasn't he?

Perhaps changed his mind after seeing him first hand. I don't know if he was a big fan, probably somewhat the fact that he had Portuguese in his locker and looked like a real prospect after he burst on to the scene.

Perhaps Mourinho/ Conte were prepared to wait to get their choice in CB rather than what was offered/ scouted at the time. I think Dier is in team by default rather than merit.
Now that I agree with
However for those managers to be willing to wait maybe they should have agreed a longer term contract (conte)

Perhaps changed his mind after seeing him first hand. I don't know if he was a big fan, probably somewhat the fact that he had Portuguese in his locker and looked like a real prospect after he burst on to the scene.
He wanted him at united
He spoke about him here positively too

Said the same thing a few weeks back on here and add to the fact he had to have emergency surgery and his family being elsewhere leads me to think he had just had enough. Now i am not defending him but i would imagine anyone of us IF we had the same run of things we would probably had enough of things.
In which case, if you are a true professional and supposedly "say it like it is" type of person, you tell the club that you are not in a position to continue and start doing some transition planning. But Conte would only "say it like it is" when he was criticizing others. Never when it came to him. Which is why I am glad he fudged off.

Reactions: DTA
Badishielle went for £32m
You would get Kilman from wolves for similar money
Both would walk into our team
I’m sure there are plenty of others if we were looking
They would walk into our team now. Under Conte they would be getting 5 min cameos every other month. Missing out on Badiashile at that price was criminal, but that's what you get when your manager doesn't play "club signings."

Looks like players have down tools under Mason too. Or they are just worse than Villa's. Another manager's reputation destroyed by thfc again. This time before even it got started.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Looks like players have down tools under Mason too. Or they are just worse than Villa's. Another manager's reputation destroyed by thfc again. This time before even it got started.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

I don't think a lot of that is a fair assumption, it's not downing tools, it's coping with having nothing to play for after throwing away the chance to be actually excellent. Win today it's a "meh", same as if they lose, they'd get paid near enough the same.

We were thoroughly outplayed today but it doesn't mean Mason's reputation was destroyed at all hopefully he'll get another chance elsewhere but it's mighty different going in to a season with hope rather than salvaging something from a trainwreck.

Fwiw though the system did look a mess today, if someone can demonstrate how Royal, Porro and Kulu can all operate on the right flank simultaneously (or just the pitch itself) effectively I'll be in your debt because it makes no sense to me.

For some perspective. Not the hardest run of fixtures by any means, but they’re clearly very well organised and playing as well as they can under Emery.

Just goes to show why you can’t judge Ryan Mason based on the amount of games he’s had. A win against Palace and it’s “yeah maybe he could be an option”, lose against Villa away and it’s “he’s clearly not ready.” Too much short-termism, but that’s nothing new.

It’s also why I’m not overly concerned. Villa are a key indication of how quickly things turn around, and I’m sure they will revert to their norm and finish around 10th-14th next season.

Back