• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

My thoughts exactly... After a midfield of Modric, Parker, Bale and VDV, that we are pinning our hopes on Ryan Mason shows how low we have gone....:(

We weren't exactly pinning our hopes on Modric or Bale in their first season at the club. The problem lies with Dembele and Capoue being useless, they are the senior CMs. Mason will only get better for the experience, but he could use a more seasoned partner.

We weren't exactly pinning our hopes on Modric or Bale in their first season at the club. The problem lies with Dembele and Capoue being useless, they are the senior CMs. Mason will only get better for the experience, but he could use a more seasoned partner.

Actually we were... Modric was already a seasoned international when we got him and Bale has long been identified as a major talent...

Actually we were... Modric was already a seasoned international when we got him and Bale has long been identified as a major talent...

And he looked out of his depth at times for his first year and took a while to find his feet. He was only 22/23 when he joined as well. Just because Mason didn't cost 15m and isn't from a fancy club, doesn't mean he can't develop into an excellent player for us. He is very talented and I hope we stick with him

And he looked out of his depth at times for his first year and took a while to find his feet. He was only 22/23 when he joined as well. Just because Mason didn't cost 15m and isn't from a fancy club, doesn't mean he can't develop into an excellent player for us. He is very talented and I hope we stick with him

Yeah me to.

We have to stick with Mason and Bentelab IMO as they are the future

They know each others game, do the basics well and have a high level of contribution to the game

They will only get better and we clearly have bigger challenges ahead in positions that need tweaking

These too offer a great long term solution to a by demanding area and we have Carroll to come back too

This guy is excellent because he plays with awareness; whenever he gets it he already knows what he wants to do, deftly controls it and quickly moves it on 15 yards to someone in a good position with a neat pass.

It isn't as exciting as huge tackles or long passes or complex dribbles or holding off three men, but it is more effective and thus pleases me greatly.

A bit like Modric because Modric's biggest talent was also awareness, when he got the ball and was surrounded by 2 players he would knock it 6 yards to one side and jink onto it. No matter where those players came from to get him, he could knock the ball somewhere else and jink onto it in a flash. They couldn't tackle him as the ball wasn't there, and they couldn't get the ball as he always put it just out of their reach. It must be hellish to play against someone like that!

Obviously Modric is better than Mason, before you start.

Modric didn't score goals or play loads of incredible passes or make huge tackles, he did all those things perfectly well, very well sometimes, but he generally just got into space and picked out a colleague in a decent position and retained shape and worked hard. Sounds average but was awesome to watch.

This guy is excellent because he plays with awareness; whenever he gets it he already knows what he wants to do, deftly controls it and quickly moves it on 15 yards to someone in a good position with a neat pass.

It isn't as exciting as huge tackles or long passes or complex dribbles or holding off three men, but it is more effective and thus pleases me greatly.

A bit like Modric because Modric's biggest talent was also awareness, when he got the ball and was surrounded by 2 players he would knock it 6 yards to one side and jink onto it. No matter where those players came from to get him, he could knock the ball somewhere else and jink onto it in a flash. They couldn't tackle him as the ball wasn't there, and they couldn't get the ball as he always put it just out of their reach. It must be hellish to play against someone like that!

Obviously Modric is better than Mason, before you start.

Modric didn't score goals or play loads of incredible passes or make huge tackles, he did all those things perfectly well, very well sometimes, but he generally just got into space and picked out a colleague in a decent position and retained shape and worked hard. Sounds average but was awesome to watch.

Really like mason, but to me at least you sound like you are describing Bentaleb, I think Mason could be used further forward.

Really like mason, but to me at least you sound like you are describing Bentaleb, I think Mason could be used further forward.

I really dont agree with that. Mason's position should be exactly where he's playing fo us at the moment. I always think that when you play a CM in that no 10 role, unless its a genuine top international player then you lose goal threat compared to when a CF plays in that role and as a team you risk being sucked deeper as that no 10 player's natural inclination is to play as a CM

I really dont agree with that. Mason's position should be exactly where he's playing fo us at the moment. I always think that when you play a CM in that no 10 role, unless its a genuine top international player then you lose goal threat compared to when a CF plays in that role and as a team you risk being sucked deeper as that no 10 player's natural inclination is to play as a CM

I think he played most of his youth career in a more advanced role and had an amazing goal scoring record doing so, I think he has only been moved back to cm relatively recently... But I'm basing that on what other have said, mainly on here, so I maybe wrong.

Edit... And the way he plays (at least in my eyes)

Further forward is his strongest position and where he wants to play in time.

Anyone feels that Mason is better on the left side of the CM pair than on the right? Mason has been playing as the right CM since Benteleb got back into the team (and Benteleb as the left CM). He performance and influence started to drop since.

Worth a read...

@MailSport: INTERVIEW: Ryan Mason has been at #THFC for 16 years, now he's finally an overnight sensation http://dailym.ai/1sBzmiy

Good to see Mason finally given an opportunity in the first team after such a roundabout journey through the ranks and performing well despite playing in a position that he is relatively new to. Hopefully Mason doesn't lose his eye for goal, like Dembele has over the years since moving from the front-line to being a midfielder.

We must stick with Mason, he is young and learning all the time and definitely one for the future as he will only get better!

Last edited:
ugh that tackle after the shot... don't refs book these type of cynical challenges any more ?

hope that the injury isn't serious, we lost a lot when he went off.

ugh that tackle after the shot... don't refs book these type of cynical challenges any more ?

hope that the injury isn't serious, we lost a lot when he went off.

Sadly, players are allowed to do anything as long as the attacker actually gets his shot off first

MP: Mason isn't bad. Twisted the ankle. Assess tomorrow. Happy because it doesn't look bad.

Back