• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Agreed. Thought Mason was better than Bentaleb yesterday, who probably had his worst game since coming back from the injury.

Some inconsistency with these young players is inevitable though, particularly with a packed fixture list like ours I think. Bentaleb will bounce back and Mason will continue to impress. Just highlights the need for some proper competition for them.

Perhaps Tom Caroll could provide that competition. Trusting the youth seems to be working for Poch.

I think Carroll is better off where he is for now unless Mason's ankle is worse than we thought. Interestingly, the more I watch the more I think Holtby would've been great as our fourth choice in there (Holtby, Mason, Stambouli and Bentaleb), yesterday being a prime example. Our game lost a lot of its purpose when Mason went off and Holtby would've been close enough to a like for like swap.

Anyway, as much as I like Mason, I think that position on the pitch is one where we could do with a major signing. I don't want to hinder our younger players development, but I do think that it is an area where we could really do with a world class player to keep things calm.

Tbh I think the major priority is getting two forwards in with pace to replace ADE and soldao. Think a centre half (reid would be perfect) would be more important than a midfidler although I do agree a big player is needed....... However 25m for scheiderlin seems like nonesense to me

I think Carroll is better off where he is for now unless Mason's ankle is worse than we thought. Interestingly, the more I watch the more I think Holtby would've been great as our fourth choice in there (Holtby, Mason, Stambouli and Bentaleb), yesterday being a prime example. Our game lost a lot of its purpose when Mason went off and Holtby would've been close enough to a like for like swap.

Anyway, as much as I like Mason, I think that position on the pitch is one where we could do with a major signing. I don't want to hinder our younger players development, but I do think that it is an area where we could really do with a world class player to keep things calm.

And yet, when Holtby was moved on, I felt as if I was one of the few who was gutted with his departure. Everyone else kept telling me that he couldn't play in central midfield; well that seemed to be the view of those voicing an opinion. Holtby would have been excellent this season, for us.

And yet, when Holtby was moved on, I felt as if I was one of the few who was gutted with his departure. Everyone else kept telling me that he couldn't play in central midfield; well that seemed to be the view of those voicing an opinion. Holtby would have been excellent this season, for us.

I think he would've been good there and looked decent vs Schalke in that position at WHL in pre season. A lot of accounts though say he wanted guaranteed first team football and took the loan move.

If you think Mason was a weak link then you didn't watch the game - he was one of our best players (yet again) until he went off,

Tbh Mason isn't really a Spurs tupe player - to me is an everton style player who teams around the country would think 'we could really do with a player like that in our squad'. He is energetic, hard working, technical, simple yet effective and will give you 100% each game. We seem to like players with a bit more flair and reputation..... Dembele is a perfect Spurs type player - skill and talent in abundance yet mostly completely underwhelming.

Finally we agree. He IS more of an everton type player (though probably still too good for nhim) and not a Spurs type player. So let's get rid, and get a Spurs type player who will improve us greatly :)

I think cm and striker are vital positions. I'd love to forward the clock 3 years and see where mason is. I genuinely believe the championship.

Tom Collomosse ‏@TomCStandard

Believe Mason isn't as bad as he feared and he hopes he could play a part in the Christmas programme #thfc

I'd love to forward the clock 3 years and see where mason is. I genuinely believe the championship.

I know we've seen it with young CMs in the past - Marney, O'Hara, Clemence etc. - where they've had an impressive breakthrough, then sunk down to a lower level.

But I really can't see anything that he doesn't possess that say Wiltshire does.

I love the post that describes him as an Everton rather than a Spurs player - someone that is incredibly effective but doesn't look stylish, whereas we traditionally have the inverse (Dembele).

Tom Collomosse ‏@TomCStandard

Believe Mason isn't as bad as he feared and he hopes he could play a part in the Christmas programme #thfc

Great news if true. After the injuries that hampered him through the past 4-5 years, I feared for the worse.

I know we've seen it with young CMs in the past - Marney, O'Hara, Clemence etc. - where they've had an impressive breakthrough, then sunk down to a lower level.

But I really can't see anything that he doesn't possess that say Wiltshire does.

I love the post that describes him as an Everton rather than a Spurs player - someone that is incredibly effective but doesn't look stylish, whereas we traditionally have the inverse (Dembele).

I can't remember who it was but someone on here compared him to Gerrard earlier in the season. He is obviously some way short of Gerrard at his peak just now but I can see what they were getting at.

Great news if true. After the injuries that hampered him through the past 4-5 years, I feared for the worse.

I felt bad for him when he went off and thought the same thing. Good news if it isn't too bad an injury.

I felt bad for him when he went off and thought the same thing. Good news if it isn't too bad an injury.

There are some players you just know will get a lot of injuries - delicate players, very quick players (Lennon, Owen) and overly aggressive tacklers (Sandro).

Mason used to be in the former category, but he's really bulked out a lot, which should help him. He's a battler, but doesn't verge too close to reckless.

Basically I think (and hope) his more manly physique will help prevent the problems he had as a youth.

Poch also has an incredible record of minimising injuries.

Finally we agree. He IS more of an everton type player (though probably still too good for nhim) and not a Spurs type player. So let's get rid, and get a Spurs type player who will improve us greatly :)

Don't understand why that should be taken as a slight on him. For years they have had players who would walk in our team.

For example forget what the team looks like on paper. The likes of jagielka, McCarthy, Barry, merelies etc would do a superb job for us and over season will contribute far more than our 'more fashionable names.'

If Anything, we could take a huge deal from everton and from that we could build something really good

Don't understand why that should be taken as a slight on him. For years they have had players who would walk in our team.

For example forget what the team looks like on paper. The likes of jagielka, McCarthy, Barry, merelies etc would do a superb job for us and over season will contribute far more than our 'more fashionable names.'

If Anything, we could take a huge deal from everton and from that we could build something really good

Yeah - my interpretation of the original post was that it was a compliment.

Everton have great underrated players, whereas we have mediocre overrated players. We've been pretty much neck-and-neck with them for the last decade or so, yet they've probably spent about 1/10 of the amount on transfers and wages that we have. They have effective players whereas we go for names who look flashy.

Mason can follow instructions and keep discipline in his position also. Huge plus for Mason.

I don't think there's any question that Mason is a far better option for us at the moment than Holtby.

I think the question is more, would Holtby be a better 4th CM (after RM, NB and BS) for us right now than all of Paulinho, Dembele, Capoue and Carroll. And for me the answer is yes.

I don't think there's any question that Mason is a far better option for us at the moment than Holtby.

I think the question is more, would Holtby be a better 4th CM (after RM, NB and BS) for us right now than all of Paulinho, Dembele, Capoue and Carroll. And for me the answer is yes.
I think that Holtby wanted first team football and would not be happy with being fourth choice.

I think that Holtby wanted first team football and would not be happy with being fourth choice.

You sure that was the case, and wasnt simply told he wasnt needed/wanted?

Because all of our midfielders have had plenty of opportunities to establish themselves this season....

You sure that was the case, and wasnt simply told he wasnt needed/wanted?

Because all of our midfielders have had plenty of opportunities to establish themselves this season....
You could be right. I do think that his tendency to chase the ball like a dog in the park would be an issue in a Poch side.

Back