• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

steer well clear in my opinion, kid has potential but is AWOL for a lot of matches against the big 5 teams, is a fact track bully when he impresses against the dross, not known as a hard worker either, don't think Poch likes that.

steer well clear in my opinion, kid has potential but is AWOL for a lot of matches against the big 5 teams, is a fact track bully when he impresses against the dross, not known as a hard worker either, don't think Poch likes that.

If he was on a bosman I would be really keen. For any sort of money I am not so keen.

But in Poch I trust, that said like most managers he is a bit iffy with big money signings, though he has a good record with young english players. Really I am all confused about this one.

I imagine he probably will not get his game against the big boys anyway. I see him as an Eriksen understudy. Let him loose against the dross and keep our crown jewel polished and safe in the tower for those who matter.

A good example of his work ethic:
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...819/165/2920/0/p#interceptions/tackles_won#90

This is Barkley compared to two players he might be competing against for a place if we were to buy him. I would imagine Barkley's longer term future is a bit deeper like Dembele but I'd expect him to rotate with the likes of Lamela early on.

This is Barkley compared to two players he might be competing against for a place if we were to buy him. I would imagine Barkley's longer term future is a bit deeper like Dembele but I'd expect him to rotate with the likes of Lamela early on.
Swivel chairs in the treatment room?

A good example of his work ethic:
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...819/165/2920/0/p#interceptions/tackles_won#90

His 'Total Score' stat is quite impressive though especially in season 15/16 (before he'd had a bit of a fall out with Koeman):

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...5/erik_lamela/819/126/2920/0/p#total_score#90

Personally I can see Poch turning him into a much more consistent player like he did with Dembele. Add to that Barkley will himself be thinking that this is the time to prove himself, so will no doubt put the effort in.

I'm a little ambivalent to whether we sign him or not. If Poch wants him, then get him in. If it doesn't work, then we move on.

Personally I can see Poch turning him into a much more consistent player like he did with Dembele. Add to that Barkley will himself be thinking that this is the time to prove himself, so will no doubt put the effort in.

I'm a little ambivalent to whether we sign him or not. If Poch wants him, then get him in. If it doesn't work, then we move on.
Surely there has to be a financial limit to that ambivalence though?

At £20m that's a perfectly acceptable risk, at the kind of prices Everton want that's a huge chunk of any normal team's transfer budget.

Surely there has to be a financial limit to that ambivalence though?

At £20m that's a perfectly acceptable risk, at the kind of prices Everton want that's a huge chunk of any normal team's transfer budget.
But what if Poch doesnt see him as a risk? Just because you and some others on here dont rate him highly, doesnt mean that the coach doesnt.....

But what if Poch doesnt see him as a risk? Just because you and some others on here dont rate him highly, doesnt mean that the coach doesnt.....
How can Poch possible know if another team's player is mentally capable of learning what Poch wants to teach him?

Look how long it took the (vastly more intelligent) players that have learned his system. Our current team took well over a year to form and some players who didn't get a preseason took well over 6 months to even begin to show they were getting it.

How can Poch possible know if another team's player is mentally capable of learning what Poch wants to teach him?

Look how long it took the (vastly more intelligent) players that have learned his system. Our current team took well over a year to form and some players who didn't get a preseason took well over 6 months to even begin to show they were getting it.
Well no coach is going to know that about any signing, I know we like to think Pochs methods and systems are on a different stratosphere to anyone else's but its the same for everyone. In his head he is obviously going to have players he believes are going to fit into his system, and those that are a bit of a risk. We have no idea what bracket he has Barkley in....

Well no coach is going to know that about any signing, I know we like to think Pochs methods and systems are on a different stratosphere to anyone else's but its the same for everyone. In his head he is obviously going to have players he believes are going to fit into his system, and those that are a bit of a risk. We have no idea what bracket he has Barkley in....
That's why we should only pay money in line with the risk that entails. You can't pay the value of someone at their full potential if you don't know if they'll ever realise it. The price has to drop as the risk increases.

Seeing as Barkley has yet to ever show he has enough brain cells to tie his own shoelaces, yet alone fit into a Spurs side, we have to stick to a low value.

We aren't going to pay 30M+, everton know he's gone, either now or in winter/end of contract.

If no one else comes in, we will probably get him in the 20M range, which I still find high, but in todays market is the new 5M I guess.

Not a fan particularly (as I've mentioned before), but it could be better to look at our bench and see him as an option vs. how light we were at times last season.

We aren't going to pay 30M+, everton know he's gone, either now or in winter/end of contract.

If no one else comes in, we will probably get him in the 20M range, which I still find high, but in todays market is the new 5M I guess.

Not a fan particularly (as I've mentioned before), but it could be better to look at our bench and see him as an option vs. how light we were at times last season.

On the last point, I think it will be a massive difference if we can add some depth - just some additional players who have played in a top flight before and done something, rather than looking at the bench and seeing the likes of Onomah, GKN and, to a lesser extent, Sissoko and Janssen.

That's why we should only pay money in line with the risk that entails. You can't pay the value of someone at their full potential if you don't know if they'll ever realise it. The price has to drop as the risk increases.

Seeing as Barkley has yet to ever show he has enough brain cells to tie his own shoelaces, yet alone fit into a Spurs side, we have to stick to a low value.
Again, thats your opinion. Hes proven to be one of the top in the league to create chances so Im sure Poch believes he does have enough braincells despite what you think.

As for saying you dont pay value for someone at their full potential, of course you dont but you pay over what they are currently worth based on the assumption they will improve all clubs do it and we are no different eg Bale. You have to speculate to accumulate, especially in todays transfer environment....

Again, thats your opinion. Hes proven to be one of the top in the league to create chances so Im sure Poch believes he does have enough braincells despite what you think.

As for saying you dont pay value for someone at their full potential, of course you dont but you pay over what they are currently worth based on the assumption they will improve all clubs do it and we are no different eg Bale. You have to speculate to accumulate, especially in todays transfer environment....
Even those that rate him in this thread admit that he doesn't use his brain.

His defensive efforts are non-existent, his decision making is wrong more than it's right, he regularly runs into blind corners and gets dispossessed. Even his fans are saying that he'll be good if we can get him to drop that from his game.

So it's not just my opinion, it's that of plenty of other Spurs fans, every Everton fan I've ever heard from and it's backed up by statistics. The only people who don't seem to share that opinion are the likes of Shearer and his "English = better" lot.

As you mention him, Bale cost £5m up front from memory - in today's money around £15m. And Bale was much, much better when he was at SCBC than Barkley is now, probably better than he ever will be.

Even those that rate him in this thread admit that he doesn't use his brain.

His defensive efforts are non-existent, his decision making is wrong more than it's right, he regularly runs into blind corners and gets dispossessed. Even his fans are saying that he'll be good if we can get him to drop that from his game.

So it's not just my opinion, it's that of plenty of other Spurs fans, every Everton fan I've ever heard from and it's backed up by statistics. The only people who don't seem to share that opinion are the likes of Shearer and his "English = better" lot.

As you mention him, Bale cost £5m up front from memory - in today's money around £15m. And Bale was much, much better when he was at SCBC than Barkley is now, probably better than he ever will be.

Again, thats just your opinion. Some of us rate Barkley much higher than you do. His assists record last season was excellent - so I don't know why even you are prepared to ignore this stat. Even his current manager, who can hardly be described as his biggest fan, was prepared to offer him a whopping contract to stay. He is supposedly not just linked with us but a host of other top clubs as well. Surely they can't all be wrong about him?

Back