• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

Not sure about your very last comment there. Barry plays very deep in holiday midfield so is always likely to be moving the ball forwards. Barkley (I think) was playing a number 10 so would've often been receiving the ball in advanced positoins with his back to goal.
The number of dribbles and assists from distance he has would suggest he gets plenty of time on the ball a bit deeper than that. Not DM deep, but more like Dembele than Alli IMO.

I note Barkley is not rated by many people who have contributed to this thread but I always remember how much Danny Rose was slaughtered when he was offered a new contract under Poch. A number of people were of the opinion that he was not intelligent and could not be coached, people wanted him gone. Heck poor Danny was hounded of social media at the time. Sure Poch is not perfect from what I have seen of Barkley I think he has potential and just require the right coach

I note Barkley is not rated by many people who have contributed to this thread but I always remember how much Danny Rose was slaughtered when he was offered a new contract under Poch. A number of people were of the opinion that he was not intelligent and could not be coached, people wanted him gone. Heck poor Danny was hounded of social media at the time. Sure Poch is not perfect from what I have seen of Barkley I think he has potential and just require the right coach
If he can then great.

My issue is paying finished product money for someone who will be next to useless for us if Poch can't teach him to use his brain.

At this point in time, finished product money is much higher than it used to be. The price we'll probably end up having to pay would indeed have bought a finished product 1 or 2 years ago but not now.
That wasn't what I said.

What I said was buy the unfinished product, but only at a price that reflects the status of the product. Not at the massively exaggerated prices being reported in the press

Replace the words Danny and Rose with Moussa and Sissoko.

That wasn't what I said.

What I said was buy the unfinished product, but only at a price that reflects the status of the product. Not at the massively exaggerated prices being reported in the press

That price has risen significantly in the last couple of transfer windows.

That price has risen significantly in the last couple of transfer windows.
From £10m to £20m maybe. Seeing as his contracts running out and he wants to go, if I were Levy I'd currently be screwing them down to £15m.

If we lose him to Arsenal for silly money then more fool them.

There's no way Barkley could ever play CM. He's got no footballing brain and his defensive abilities are non-existent.

Mediocre ACM - yes. CM - never

We could just let Chelsea buy him, then loan him from them. No fee and they'd subsidise the wages. It would fit perfectly with their transfer strategy.

I thought Rose was a very good player at the time and even stated that he would be England's first choice left back before long. For the record I also think Barkley will become an excellent player if he is prepared to listen and learn (and I think he is as he could've taken the easy option and signed a new big money deal at Everton).

Whenever judging young players look at what they can do and what they don't do. Then ask yourself whether the things they don't do are coachable, if so then IMO the player is worth taking a chance on.

What cannot be coached are skill, vision, pace, power, desire and bravery.

Replace the words Danny and Rose with Moussa and Sissoko.
The difference is that Sissoko's game isn't suited to us. He doesn't have the skill, vision or confidence. Sissoko isnt a bad player, he is just a bad player for our gameplan. He would probably do well for a team like Leicester who mainly sit deep and then play long and hit teams on the break. Sissoko's power and pace would be really useful for that.

Last edited:
There's no way Barkley could ever play CM. He's got no footballing brain and his defensive abilities are non-existent.

Mediocre ACM - yes. CM - never
That statement is a leap of faith. He must have a football brain as he created a lot of chances last year. His problem is consistency in decision making. Poch's very rigid system in terms of patterns of play should make decision making pretty easy for Barkley. As I said previously, I think he will start as cover at number 10 but gradually be converted to a Dembele type player and he has the attributes to have a decent chance of developing into a good player in that position.

From £10m to £20m maybe. Seeing as his contracts running out and he wants to go, if I were Levy I'd currently be screwing them down to £15m.

Im sure that is exactly what Levy is trying to do.... He is probably up to about £2.8 million plus a free season ticket at Wembley at the moment.... I put the transfer at somewhere between 20 and 30 million. The lower end would be us getting a great price and the upper end being more than we should be paying due to his contract situation but still an OK price in the current climate.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/t...ign-23-year-old-attacker-dembele-replacement/

I do like this idea (especially if we can dump sissoko on them as part of the deal) and can see the dembele comparisons but where would that leave Winks and particularly Onomah?

I do feel sorry for Onomah as it seems he's never played in his preferred position for us.

Is he deemed to be too skinny at the moment?

I think Winks could end up competing with Eriksen for an attacking midfield role in the team. Winks has the vision, I think he'd get a lot of assists playing that role and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him playing there eventually.

Re. Barkley moving back to the Dembele position, I could definitely see that. When Dembele was 23, wasn't he used as a number 10 type player? And a less successful one than Barkley at that.

This has to be the rule for all our signings ATM or we gain little advantage from "our already settled squad".

Back