• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rooney - Is he s**t?

the best English player of his age by a country mile

I think he's delivered on his promise, you are not first choice for United for a decade otherwise

Opinions being expressed along the line of his potentiant and ultimate deilvery. So that sort of poll .... in another thread.

That or drop it from this thread.

We're now in the third incarnation of the 'Rooney is overrated' thread. I just merged them all into one.

I can add a poll, but what is the question? Was he world class or not?

I can add a poll, but what is the question? Was he world class or not?

why are we comparing the english soldado to wayne rooney?

a) because we are overrating one of our own
b) we dislike rooney on the basis of his perceived character and other non-footballing issues

Never mind the E-types, the Mustangs, the Mini Coopers, the Ferraris or the Ford GTs, even ordinary production cars used to have great character. Nowadays, they're all Euro-bubbles. The price of attention to detail.

brick no. His 48 England goals mean nothing to me as they have mostly been scored against pub sides.

i dont see how he is overrated. i think people generally have a good idea of where he is at.

no-one thinks he is in the messi/ronaldo bracket. hes probably a bit short of being in the suarez, bale etc bracket. but hes probably in the next bracket down with the likes of hazard, silva, aguero, ozil, neymar etc. and i think there is a general consensus that this is his level at the moment. surely this is not overrating him?

Perhaps Paul Scholes as well. Although I'm not sure he's part of that "golden generation" as he did retire from England in 2004.

golden generation was 2004. Look at the squad

King, Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Cole, Neville, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Rooney, Owen.

i dont see how he is overrated. i think people generally have a good idea of where he is at.

no-one thinks he is in the messi/ronaldo bracket. hes probably a bit short of being in the suarez, bale etc bracket. but hes probably in the next bracket down with the likes of hazard, silva, aguero, ozil, neymar etc. and i think there is a general consensus that this is his level at the moment. surely this is not overrating him?

I think many would go as far as to say he is in the next level after most of these.. at least Hazard, Aguero, Neymar anyway. That's why I feel he's overrated.

I remember in 2004 when he tore Switzerland a new one and was going past opponents without fear. It's a shame he doesn't play with the same swagger as that 17 year old anymore. I wonder if Fergie ended up removing the individual flair and moulding him into more of a team player over the years.

@dingdongo

i'd agree that hes not as exciting to watch as he was as a teenager, and his game doesnt possess as much flair as it once did, but im not sure hes a worse player for it. a lot of 'flairy' players go through this transformation as their game matures, and i think this is the case for rooney.

He's not s**t but he is EXTREMELY overrated. He's supposedly a world class player but has never really shown that in my eyes. His work rate is often praised but, as some Redknapp critics would perhaps say, running about a bit does not constitute world class talent.

Maybe I can't see what others do though, my United supporting mate is a huge fan but I've always said to him that I consider Rooney a hindrance for United and they could do much better then him. Only my opinion but there you are.

I do hope though that I'm not alone in thinking the preferential treatment Rooney gets for England is absurd. He's really never made his mark in a major international tournament and he is now 29. He's kept some decent strikers out of the side and those strikers that have slotted in have done so only to fit in around Rooney. Too much effort and too little reward. Time England move on.

he's only got a couple of years left at this level, players who start at 16 normally burn out in their early 30's

I saw Rooney play in the flesh as a young man he was nothing short of a force of nature. The power and skill was breathtaking. He brought that into his early Utd career but it's my opinion that his lack of a settled position at Utd has stopped him becoming the player he could have been. He's a fantastic player of course but I just think he may have been one of the best if left to focus on the one position. For me he has not fulfilled his full potential really because of that.

If he had taken better care of himself and not had the weight and fitness levels he could have been WC. Once he went to Man U and started winning trophies he fell into the "I've made it" mode. His genetics means he was always going to fight his weight issues, everyone could see there's a fat guy fighting to get out, but his talent meant that with some care and intelligence he could have been excellent. Used properly his build could have meant that as he aged he could drop back and end up as a pirlo or modric type later in his career.

Back