• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Soldado - Official! - Medical Completed!!

I feel for Valencia. All their best players always leave, and usually on bad terms.
Also they just signed Postiga.

:(

The team they should have had if no one left :eek:

Spain travel to Ecuador next weds for a friendly and it looks like Soldado has been left out of the squad =D> well done Spain, gives him a chance to settle in at a new club in a new country

Or he has been dropped. I prefer your reason though.

Still pinching myself over this. We've signed a world class striker here lads. A snip at 20m too

Still pinching myself over this. We've signed a world class striker here lads. A snip at 20m too

£25,900,000 actually.

But if he helps to secure us Champions League football for next season, it will be money well invested.

I just don't want people getting their hopes up thinking we're about to hit greatness. One or two big signing isn't going to suddenly turn us into title challengers. Look at all the big names City keep buying and they were still miles off winning the league last season. 5th to 1st is a massive jump and I would be very happy with 4th.

I just don't want people getting their hopes up thinking we're about to hit greatness. One or two big signing isn't going to suddenly turn us into title challengers. Look at all the big names City keep buying and they were still miles off winning the league last season. 5th to 1st is a massive jump and I would be very happy with 4th.

This is very true. In my opinion even with the signings we've made we lack that extra special central midfielder/number 10 that all title winning teams seem to possess. We have a very flexible, robust and balanced midfield but we do lack finesse. But the team we have is better than the Scum and if we keep Bale then we are favourites for top four and maybe even third place isn't out of reach if one of Utd, City or Chelsea have a faltering season.

Our last 13 home and away games produced 55 points which would be 80 points over 38 games.

That is 3rd place form that we are already in. 89 points won the EPL the last 2 seasons so it is not a massive jump to challenge for the title.

Our last 13 home and away games produced 55 points which would be 80 points over 38 games.

That is 3rd place form that we are already in. 89 points won the EPL the last 2 seasons so it is not a massive jump to challenge for the title.

You can't take just 26 games as a yardstick of form. The season is over 38. We finished 5th. Anyone can pick and choose a run of games and claim that this is the "real" Spurs.

You can't take just 26 games as a yardstick of form. The season is over 38. We finished 5th. Anyone can pick and choose a run of games and claim that this is the "real" Spurs.

Of course you can.

Our form improved as the season went on and if we just continue in that form we will be nailed on for third.

If we can improve that form we will challenge.

This is very true. In my opinion even with the signings we've made we lack that extra special central midfielder/number 10 that all title winning teams seem to possess. We have a very flexible, robust and balanced midfield but we do lack finesse. But the team we have is better than the Scum and if we keep Bale then we are favourites for top four and maybe even third place isn't out of reach if one of Utd, City or Chelsea have a faltering season.

You want Dembele to be that player. He has the ability to turn games. Like Bale did in the last two seasons, maybe Dembele can start to score more and power through into dangerous positions around the box.

Paulinho is an interesting one. His mentality and work rate made him look like he will always turn up, could stamp himself on games where Dembele flashes in and out.

This is the Soldiers thread however - We'll need some patience to allow him to settle. But I think he'll score 15+ goals for us if he stays injury free. He could excel and hit more. His arrival will also enhance Defoe and Ade if they stay - they will up their game.

Of course you can.

Our form improved as the season went on and if we just continue in that form we will be nailed on for third.

If we can improve that form we will challenge.

It doesn't work that way. What if the 26 games were easier than the first 12 games? Performances don't always equate to results. I've seen us play well for 10 games and hardly amass any points and poorly for 10 games and get a nice haul of points. Last year is actually a prime example. We were very poor for a lot of the second half of last season and relied on the magic of one player to turn defeats into draws and draws into wins. In the case of last season our worst run of form came during a block of fixtures where we lost to Chelsea, City and Arsenal. If those exact fixtures occurred during the last 26 games of the season we would have still likely lost them and then the form doesn't look so good does it? Seasons are played from August to May.

Besides, every new season is a clean slate and what happened the season before has no bearing on the season to come. Anyone can take a point in a season to another point in the season approach and spin facts from it simply by taking a point of the season that suits your argument. Why 26 games? Why not look at the last 30 games? Do the 4 games before the 26 games not count? Why not just focus on the last 10 games of the season? We won 50% of those, W5 D3 L2 = 18pts or just over 68pts during a season. Or we could do the last 14 games and then our stats look far better.

The bottom line is judging form on results is over rated, because some games and some sequences of games, are clearly easier than others. If we have a 5 game stretch of playing City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd away and come out of that with good performances and 0pts the first guide for those 5 games makes us look like relegation candidates when we clearly would not be. Likewise we play the 5 weakest teams in a row at home and win them all we look like title contenders which in reality we would not be.

It doesn't work that way. What if the 26 games were easier than the first 12 games? Performances don't always equate to results. I've seen us play well for 10 games and hardly amass any points and poorly for 10 games and get a nice haul of points. Last year is actually a prime example. We were very poor for a lot of the second half of last season and relied on the magic of one player to turn defeats into draws and draws into wins. In the case of last season our worst run of form came during a block of fixtures where we lost to Chelsea, City and Arsenal. If those exact fixtures occurred during the last 26 games of the season we would have still likely lost them and then the form doesn't look so good does it? Seasons are played from August to May.

Besides, every new season is a clean slate and what happened the season before has no bearing on the season to come. Anyone can take a point in a season to another point in the season approach and spin facts from it simply by taking a point of the season that suits your argument. Why 26 games? Why not look at the last 30 games? Do the 4 games before the 26 games not count? Why not just focus on the last 10 games of the season? We won 50% of those, W5 D3 L2 = 18pts or just over 68pts during a season. Or we could do the last 14 games and then our stats look far better.

The bottom line is judging form on results is over rated, because some games and some sequences of games, are clearly easier than others. If we have a 5 game stretch of playing City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd away and come out of that with good performances and 0pts the first guide for those 5 games makes us look like relegation candidates when we clearly would not be. Likewise we play the 5 weakest teams in a row at home and win them all we look like title contenders which in reality we would not be.

In fact just to prove the point that form result stats from one date to another are pretty pointless, you say we improved as the season went on.

Our first 10 games last season earned us : 17pts
Our last 10 games of last season earned us: 18pts

An improvement of 1pt. Not exactly earth shattering and easily wiped away/explained by a bad refereeing decision or a moment of brilliance from one of our own or opposition player. Fine margins indeed.

Judging form on results is over rated?

Nice speech, but we finished the season in top 3 form. I am very confident we can at least equal that form and with the new signings perhaps improve.

Judging form on results is over rated?

Nice speech, but we finished the season in top 3 form. I am very confident we can at least equal that form and with the new signings perhaps improve.

You're missing the point. The point is anyone can take a date in the season and use that as ground zero to suit their argument. At least be non-biased and break it down to sensible points of the season. E.g. break it down to quarters as best you can (Block 1, 10 games, Block 2, 9 games, Block 3, 9 games, Block 4 10 games or something along those lines) or halves.

It's clear from the stats last season that it was actually mid-season where we excelled. There was little difference between the first quarter and last quarter of the season in terms of points reward (although I'd say our form in the last 10 games was a lot better than the first in terms of performances).

I just hope people go a bit easy on him in the beginning.

A lot of our fans seem to think we are just a striker away from being title winners or at least title challengers.

I don't agree with this at all, I think there are a whole range of things we need before we become title challengers. Of which a top class striker is only one.

Soldado doesn't solve all the problems we had last season, he doesn't even come close. While I'm very excited to see him in action, I hope a less than title challenging start from him or the team doesn't bring about a load of undue criticism.

Back