• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

Only positive thing about today's game was the assurance I had that Soldado would bury the penalty. Cool as a cucumber

He is an outs sing shooter of the ball when given a pass in a quick play. He can't play when he is up against a back 4 or 5 passing slow static passing

I'd love to know his shot accuracy cos I'm sure it will be above 50%

He is an outs sing shooter of the ball when given a pass in a quick play. He can't play when he is up against a back 4 or 5 passing slow static passing

I'd love to know his shot accuracy cos I'm sure it will be above 50%

Excluding penalties, Soldado' shooting accuracy is 58% (7 on target from 12 attempts) or including them (as they account for 75% of his goals!) he is 67% (10 from 15).

For comparison: Giroud' is 43% (11 from 27); Osvaldo is 46% (6 from 13), van Persie' is 47% (11 from 23), Negredo' is 50% (7 from 14), Benteke' is 69% (9 of 13).

http://www.squawka.com/players/roberto-soldado

Excluding penalties, Soldado' shooting accuracy is 58% (7 on target from 12 attempts) or including them (as they account for 75% of his goals!) he is 67% (10 from 15).

For comparison: Giroud' is 43% (11 from 27); Osvaldo is 46% (6 from 13), van Persie' is 47% (11 from 23), Negredo' is 50% (7 from 14), Benteke' is 69% (9 of 13).

http://www.squawka.com/players/roberto-soldado

Which stacks up with what I've seen of him in the past.... He rarely misses a shot on target

Imagine what he could do if we actually gave him some decent passes

Which stacks up with what I've seen of him in the past.... He rarely misses a shot on target

Imagine what he could do if we actually gave him some decent passes

Shots on target are much less relevant than goals, and Soldado has scored 1 goal from 14 shots - not a good record. Of course we could create more and better chances for him, but the ones he has had he hasn't taken well enough IMO. (Not a dig, just an observation. It's very early days.)

On a separate note, I was watching this video again - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBHnymaOBe4 - and it struck me that the majority of his goals came from crosses of some sort. Should we always have at least one of Lennon on the right or Townsend on the left? From the video it doesn't look like he is ever going to excel receiving passes into crowded penalty areas, even if we were good at doing that.

Shots on target are much less relevant than goals, and Soldado has scored 1 goal from 14 shots - not a good record. Of course we could create more and better chances for him, but the ones he has had he hasn't taken well enough IMO. (Not a dig, just an observation. It's very early days.)

On a separate note, I was watching this video again - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBHnymaOBe4 - and it struck me that the majority of his goals came from crosses of some sort. Should we always have at least one of Lennon on the right or Townsend on the left? From the video it doesn't look like he is ever going to excel receiving passes into crowded penalty areas, even if we were good at doing that.

thats what confuses me...why spend 26 mill on a striker but then set up the team to play in a way that cannot get the best out of him

he is a striker that thrives on balls into the box, in the air and on the ground.

Shot to goals stat with that sample is irrelevant.

What quality is that he lacks that makes it unlikely that he will be good at converting chances created from receiving passes in the box?

thats what confuses me...why spend 26 mill on a striker but then set up the team to play in a way that cannot get the best out of him

he is a striker that thrives on balls into the box, in the air and on the ground.

He thrives on service, he will score goals given chances in the box. I really don't think it matters much how those chances are created.

How many of those crosses were against teams that were well organized at the time with an organized back 4 shielded by a midfield ahead of them? There's a massive difference between scoring from a cross against an organized team defending deep and scoring from a cross like the one Bale delivered to Pav against Inter at home when we're counter attacking.

Shot to goals stat with that sample is irrelevant.

What quality is that he lacks that makes it unlikely that he will be good at converting chances created from receiving passes in the box?

He thrives on service, he will score goals given chances in the box. I really don't think it matters much how those chances are created.

How many of those crosses were against teams that were well organized at the time with an organized back 4 shielded by a midfield ahead of them? There's a massive difference between scoring from a cross against an organized team defending deep and scoring from a cross like the one Bale delivered to Pav against Inter at home when we're counter attacking.

which is why imo we would benefit from playing a bit more on the counter. We have the players, the pace, the movement to be able to play on the break a bit more

which is why imo we would benefit from playing a bit more on the counter. We have the players, the pace, the movement to be able to play on the break a bit more

Most teams that set up to counter attack as their primary attacking philosophy against most teams including smaller teams find themselves hitting a natural ceiling at around the level we're at now or a bit lower than that.

Smaller teams generally don't allow bigger teams to play that style of football against them imo.

It's great as a part of your strategy, being great at counter attacks is never bad, but I struggle to think of a consistently successful big team that uses this as their primary approach.

Most teams that set up to counter attack as their primary attacking philosophy against most teams including smaller teams find themselves hitting a natural ceiling at around the level we're at now or a bit lower than that.

Smaller teams generally don't allow bigger teams to play that style of football against them imo.

It's great as a part of your strategy, being great at counter attacks is never bad, but I struggle to think of a consistently successful big team that uses this as their primary approach.

yes part of the strategy, at least lets incorporate it as part of our repertoire. The great Ferguson Man Utd teams could play all styles, all ways, they scored goals from fast counter attacks, after long spells of possession, from corners, from free kicks, from long range

right now our goals mainly come from long range or from penalties:)

Listening to Hartson on motd or something?
The guy has the same number of goals as Benteke and Negredo.
Meanwhile Defoe has scored 1 league goal in 2013 and its ****ing November.

Well Defoe scores every time he plays according to Dean Saunders. Apparently the players call Defoe "goals" in training, make of that what you will.

Listening to Hartson on motd or something?
The guy has the same number of goals as Benteke and Negredo.
Meanwhile Defoe has scored 1 league goal in 2013 and its ****ing November.

This. That knobend Dean Saunders was spouting the same rubbish on Sky, "What's Defoe got to do to get a start? He scores every time he plays".

26m down the toilet.

Yes, after 9 league starts in a new league, new country, new team, with no or little service to speak of, that's a fair assessement.

Anyway, with inflation in the transfer market, we've probably just paid the equivalent of what we paid for Pav.

I actually think they're fairly similar players, although Soldado has better movement and better technique. But both require service. Neither are going to beat 3 men and hit it in the top corner out of nothing. Neither are great with their back to goal bullying defenders.

Soldado likes cut-backs, whether in the air or on the ground, or threaded through-balls. We've provided neither of decent quality. The chances he has had, he's taken. Whether that is penalties or the chance against Villa from open-play.

It's not like I can remember any other chances where i'm thinking someone of his calibre should score.

He keeps defences more occupied than Defoe does with his moveoment, as was shown by the one time we dropped him for Defoe in the league (v West Ham), we got completely shafted.

Ultimately, he needs time. I'd be interested if someone who isn't as lazy as me could get the stats for goals scored by the the likes of RVP, Aguero, Tevez, Suarez, Torres and others in their first 10 games in the Premiership. Given that I see all of those players as less reliant on service than Soldado, it'd still make interesting reading, as off the top of my head my bet would be that they wouldn't be much better stats-wise than our man is right now.

This. That knobend Dean Saunders was spouting the same rubbish on Sky, "What's Defoe got to do to get a start? He scores every time he plays".

Haha what's Defoe got to get a start? Well let's start with this.... how about our entire team build-up play and midfield domination doesn't turn to absolute crap whenever Defoe does start (e.g. West Ham at home) due to his complete lack of movement, channel-running, hold-up or link play and his policy of "get the ball and shoot", no matter what options are available.

If the one time i gave Defoe a start in the PL turned into a 0-3 home demolition against a team near the relegation places, then i'd probably not start him again either...

Not been bowled over with Soldado to date but thought he did pretty well yesterday. He got absolutely no service bar for the header he missed. There's a player in there but we are giving him next to nothing.

Dirty elbow he threw though.

Back