• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp

If he gets the sack after the euros, then I think we will revisit the same situation, proof positive that the gutterpress were right to make HR favourite

What do you think Levy will put in a contract he offers him? I can (just about) guarantee that he will release a pre prepared statement denouncing any interest in the England role during his employment with THFC, that or sayonara sensei Redknapp this summer.

I think Redknapp was favourite for good reason, he would be the best man for the job IMHO. Better than Woy now, and the best for it if it comes up any time soon.

Are you sure Harry will get a new contract from Levy? With my conspiracy hat on I would say its strange one hasnt been forthcoming already, and that articles like the one in the sun (particularly with the mention of far east interest in HR...) are there at Harrys request to try and push things along....

Im not entirely sure Redknapp will get one, to be honest, which leaves us in limbo...

If he were? I would imagine Redknapp being forced to tow the party line a lot more, less quotes to the press etc, as well as a change in transfer strategy. I would also imagine a very sturdy "buy out" clause should this stuff come up again, as well as compensations should Redknapp resign for another role. Essentially I think Levy will tie him up like a kipper.

At a guess I would say these supposed meetings they have been having.

I imagine Levy wants to be presented with a vision for the future, a plan, the developments Harry envisages....

I also imagine Redknapp is the sort of character who wont take too kindly to that.

So Im thinking Levy is trying to put Redknapp into a position where things simply break down and the choice is made...

Logical

- Levy probably wants to set targets (league position and cup wins) into any contract
- Probably wants a shift away from short term/stop gap signings he has allowed Harry prior
- Some ideas around leveraging/improving youth team and training facilities (when it coes online)

Logical

- Levy probably wants to set targets (league position and cup wins) into any contract
- Probably wants a shift away from short term/stop gap signings he has allowed Harry prior
- Some ideas around leveraging/improving youth team and training facilities (when it coes online)

In addition I just posted in the Harry thread with Mick - essentially I think any new contract offer to Harry would have so many clauses and stipulations he would be tied up like a kipper. Once again not something I can see him being happy with.

Levy will want measurable targets, though Im not sure they are league placings (aside from CL finish)

I think more things like spending constraints, average age of squad, player developments (incl youth), injury list coming down - a lot to do with maximising the possibilities of the multi-million pound facility we are about to move into...

Which we will suffer with again unless we commit to a manager now

Harry is our manager. He has a year left on his contract. There is no need to stick him on a long-term deal. If he wants a long-term deal or will leave, then Levy should call his bluff and get a manager in who, results permitting, could be our manager for the long-term. I dont see why you would put a manager on a long-term deal though. One year rolling deal should be fine

Logical

Agree I think now is the time their differing philosophies become irreconcilable. Levy's vision vs Redknapp pragmatism. The club vs the individual.

I think the mutual consent departure is the most likely outcome.

I wonder if Levy is going as far as making a DoF one of the conditions for a new contract? It's no lose for Levy because he either gets the structure he wants to rein in Redknapp's follies, or Redknapp walks and he puts in the structure and coach he wants. Levy's very much got the upper hand in negotiations in contrast to 2008, or even 6 months ago.

Harry is our manager. He has a year left on his contract. There is no need to stick him on a long-term deal. If he wants a long-term deal or will leave, then Levy should call his bluff and get a manager in who, results permitting, could be our manager for the long-term. I dont see why you would put a manager on a long-term deal though. One year rolling deal should be fine

Teams always collapse when the manager's end is in sight - United 2002, Bayern 2011, us 2012 etc.

1 year isn't an option IMO.

I think Redknapp was favourite for good reason, he would be the best man for the job IMHO. Better than Woy now, and the best for it if it comes up any time soon.

Are you sure Harry will get a new contract from Levy? With my conspiracy hat on I would say its strange one hasnt been forthcoming already, and that articles like the one in the sun (particularly with the mention of far east interest in HR...) are there at Harrys request to try and push things along....

Im not entirely sure Redknapp will get one, to be honest, which leaves us in limbo...

If he were? I would imagine Redknapp being forced to tow the party line a lot more, less quotes to the press etc, as well as a change in transfer strategy. I would also imagine a very sturdy "buy out" clause should this stuff come up again, as well as compensations should Redknapp resign for another role. Essentially I think Levy will tie him up like a kipper.

I think he will, as long as he agrees to publicly renounce England, and maybe other limitations as you suggest.

BTW, you don't tie someone up like a kipper, kippers don't get tied up.

its tie him like a kipper - as in, Kipper tie

View attachment 665

One year deal = permanent potential for upheaval and transition.

Longer term deal = faith in manager to do his job. Manager working in confidence he has the respect/trust of the club.

Makes a huge difference for all involved, IMO.

Harry is our manager now. Now new deal and what possible consequence is there?
This summer? Not knowing manager is long term will we commit to buy the players he wants?
Mid season? Manager is getting a new deal/getting fired as results fluctuate?
January? No chance of supporting manager in window as he is only around for a few guaranteed months?
End of season? Manager decides to leave as you didnt have faith in him? You cant agree a deal if he does well because his stock is high? You sack him for not achieving despite effectively being hamstrung....

I wonder if Levy is going as far as making a DoF one of the conditions for a new contract? It's no lose for Levy because he either gets the structure he wants to rein in Redknapp's follies, or Redknapp walks and he puts in the structure and coach he wants. Levy's very much got the upper hand in negotiations in contrast to 2008, or even 6 months ago.

Wouldnt surprise me at all actually. Levy is a fan of the dof, and I would say has spent a lot more time "actively participating" since Harry joined than he would like...

Actually, that Martinez story makes a lot of sense to me. He probably doesn't mind at all going back to Wigan for another year if he thinks none of the jobs available this Summer suit him, and if he thinks a better one will be available before too long. Nor would it surprise me if, of Spurs, Pool and Villa, Spurs was the one he wanted - and for much the same reason that many on here want him...there just seems to be a fit between Marty and Spurs. I think he probably senses that too. And while of course there's competition, he might also figure that AVB and Capello won't wait till next Summer just for Spurs, whereas he would. I think all that has a ring of truth about it to be honest.

Ive said a few times I think he could do well with us, and indeed better than with Liverpool.

I have no doubt he would fancy a crack at the Spurs job. Also that he would stick with Wigan (growing his reputation) instead of taking a duff role.

BUT - that article reads like a child wrote it, doesnt stack up entirely, has no quotes and reeks of agenda driven BS. Hence my assertation its cobblers!

The transfer strategy is a joint one. Levy may prefer to buy young players with resale value but Harry is right to concentrate on the immediate, it is what he is judged on and what he would be sacked for if results were not good enough. All managers will want to concentrate on signing players who can improve their first team now.

See thats why I like this forum, learn something new all the time....

GB posted in the transfer rumour rubbish thread that he thinks Levy would also bring back the dof structure - I dont think thats a bad shout to be honest. Its something he has shown a lot of faith in previously and would be a good way of controlling Redknapp indirectly...

One year deal = permanent potential for upheaval and transition.

Longer term deal = faith in manager to do his job. Manager working in confidence he has the respect/trust of the club.

Makes a huge difference for all involved, IMO.

Harry is our manager now. Now new deal and what possible consequence is there?
This summer? Not knowing manager is long term will we commit to buy the players he wants?
Mid season? Manager is getting a new deal/getting fired as results fluctuate?
January? No chance of supporting manager in window as he is only around for a few guaranteed months?
End of season? Manager decides to leave as you didnt have faith in him? You cant agree a deal if he does well because his stock is high? You sack him for not achieving despite effectively being hamstrung....

Nope - what I said was the have him on a one-year rolling deal.

Regarding justifying putting him a long term deal by saying 'Manager working in confidence he has the respect/trust of the club'...he's shown little respect for the fans with his comments over recent months nor respect for teh club given him pimping himself out to the FA.

He's also far too volatile a character to have on a long term deal - he doesnt have the greatest relationship with Levy and with his mates in the press, its very easy for him to stir things up and unsettle the club.

I cant see why, when he was recently going to walk out, we would put him on a ?ú3m - ?ú4m per year deal for 3 years and therefore commit us to spending ?ú9m - ?ú12m if we sacked him tomorrow. He could easily aggitate things, almost force Levy to sack him and then get a very nice pay off to fund his retirement

The transfer strategy is a joint one. Levy may prefer to buy young players with resale value but Harry is right to concentrate on the immediate, it is what he is judged on and what he would be sacked for if results were not good enough. All managers will want to concentrate on signing players who can improve their first team now.

Ive long felt that its not a joint one, rather two seperate ones.

Of course managers buy for the short term as well as long, as we did in the past with our two tier approach under Arnsen, the Levy/Redknapp policy just seems so disjointed to me though that I think it is in fact two seperate entities all together

I know thats what you said, and thats what I answered too. A ROLLING deal is just one year deal after one year deal - so long as everybody is happy. Its up to finish EVERY SEASON and so my points on the unsettled nature stand up just fine IMO.

I do agree he is quite a volatile character, and also that his fluttery eyes to the FA were less than agreeable from a Spurs perspective - but I still think it would be damaging to have him in the job unsure of how his future sits.

As you finish your post - thats much the reason why I suspect Levy is angling to remove Redknapp.

The timing is not ideal in as much as we have just finished 4th (5th, 4th..) but also due to the contract situation the time is precisely NOW to make any changes. Hence Levy is probably trying to find a situation where Redknapp breaks and wants to leave.

I would not have ANY manager on a one year rolling deal. Ever. And I CERTAINLY wouldnt do that with Redknapp as I believe its a cast iron guarantee to not get the best from him.

IMO people are getting it wrong when they fixate on whether Levy is a "fan" of the DoF system.

In reality, "DoF" is just shorthand for putting in place a system of buying and selling players that has a long-term element to it. Levy isn't a fan of having a DoF for its own sake - he doesn't necessarily pine for some named individual with an office that has "DoF" written on the door. He simply wants signings that make sense (that have "value") even if the current manager were to leave next week.

For example, if he gave Martinez or Rodgers a 5 year contract, I very much doubt he'd care about having a DoF, because in both those instances those managers would be building for their own future as much as Spurs'. Neither would be likely to want to spunk Ôé¼25m on a 32 year old, so Levy wouldn't need the protection of a DoF. It's only in the merry-go-round of management when guys like Santini, Jol, Ramos and those guys are in charge that Levy would want someone to protect legacy. Young, talented managers shouldn't be a concern in this regard and a DoF less necessary. Levy could negotiate that as part of a contract with the right man - just tell him that he (Levy) and the board would be acting as "DoF" and will not sanction signings that are too short term. It's a de facto DoF without having a DoF.

Levy likes the detachment from the running of the side IMO, hence the dof being up his street. Call it a dof, chief exec - whatever you like. Its someone to manage the football side with a greater/longer view than the immediate manager (as you say)

Its that man with the knowledge and skills, that allows Levy to leave that side of the club running to pursue the business side more (where he is more effective and comfortable) that appeals to him IMO.

Back