• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings vs Sunderland

I seem to be at odds with a lot of the board members again...I thought we were pretty poor against Utd and Fulham, but that we were excellent today. All-round, one of our best performances of the season, maybe the best.

Lloris gets a 5.5 for his really bad error.

Everyone else gets a 7 or an 8...Sandro a 6 because he got away with his terrible error (the handball).

In this game, we had a good balance between control and purposeful, attacking play. We created a number of good chances and we also defended well when we had to.

One of the few games this season where I feel the scoreline didn't really do us justice. I think we deserved 3 or 4 goals today.

Agree with your observations. Really pleased with the performance although it is the bottom of table team so I won't be getting carried away. We had a great shape- Playing Lennon on the right and Townsend on the left seems so much more effective we actually created chances in the box. Think Soldado would have thrived on some of the chances created. My only concern is that AVB will want to return to the inverted wingers if we get more points on the board. Really hopes he keeps yesterday's shape.

Agree with your observations. Really pleased with the performance although it is the bottom of table team so I won't be getting carried away. We had a great shape- Playing Lennon on the right and Townsend on the left seems so much more effective we actually created chances in the box. Think Soldado would have thrived on some of the chances created. My only concern is that AVB will want to return to the inverted wingers if we get more points on the board. Really hopes he keeps yesterday's shape.

The shape we had when we got the goals? So one traditional winger and one inverted?

The shape we had when we got the goals? So one traditional winger and one inverted?

Really sorry who was the inverted winger I must have missed that? Even you could agree that we looked better with Townsend on the left and with Lennon on the right. We created several good chances when Townsend coming down the left and crossing into the box.

Really sorry who was the inverted winger I must have missed that? Even you could agree that we looked better with Townsend on the left and with Lennon on the right. We created several good chances.

Doesn't Chadli count? He's right footed and plays on the left anyway. He played there until Sig was put on with 10 minutes left of normal time.

Yes Townsend did well on the left when he came on in a situation where they had to throw men forward and he got space to run into. Just like he's looked good in similar situations when playing on the right.

Doesn't Chadli count? He's right footed and plays on the left anyway. He played there until Sig was put on with 10 minutes left of normal time.

Yes Townsend did well on the left when he came on in a situation where they had to throw men forward and he got space to run into. Just like he's looked good in similar situations when playing on the right.

Sorry always thought Chadli was left footed any way don't recall him being a serious threat on that side not in the same way as when Townsend came on . Most of the threat came from Lennon playing on his traditional side. Disagree re: Townsend I think he looked better on the left than cutting in where he just tends to lose the ball or shoot. Then again this is only one game but would like to see him played on the left more.

Last edited:
Having been at the game I thought Holtby and Walker were the pick of our players. Holtby very busy, ensured tempo was high and found good spaces to receive the ball in. As mentioned his reverse slide rule pass for Defoe was of the highest quality. Seems to be growing in confidence and definitely now deserves a run in the first XI.
Walker so much better of late; looks defensively sound and anticipates better rather than jut relying on pace. Some really positive forward bursts.
Lloris is my big concern at the moment - 1 big mistake per game for last 3 which have each coated us a goal now. Will just have to see it out I think as he's tactically so important to us.

Just a word of caution though - the 2 wins this week have come against the two poorest teams in the division and yet we've given each a goal head start!

Liverpool next week will be the true test.

Back