• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings vs Sunderland

First half i thought he was rather poor but good second half. His work rate is always brilliant but he can't keep dropping back to look for the ball (which he didn't really do second half). He deserves a 7 all things considered.

You still have that avatar...you're worrying me now :)

Lloris - Didn't have that much to do, looked uncertain at the goal - perhaps the challenge from Lukaku has knocked his confidence coming out? Would not be great for mental state for a sweeper keeper!

Capoue, you can tell he's a midefielder AND a strong DM to boot. Worked very well for us today. His surprise purchase was based on the fact he could play emergency CB when needed.

Naughton - Never a left back but quite comfortable today, well done lad.

Dawson - Should have had a penalty when Brown wrestled him. Body on the line as usual.

Walker - Excellent today, very nice to see him working well with Azza.

Azza - Same old Azza... This game suited him and I'm glad AVB's plans suited Azza (never an inverted winger!). Lovely to have an old head in this team.

Chadli - A bit laboured maybe first half but I thought he was brilliant second half. You can see he was bought to fit into AVB's gameplan. That header for the goal was outstanding. Not an explosive player but a smart one with two feet.

Paulinho - I feel for the lad - not in the right position and a passenger when on the back foot. He needs to be offensive and that is when he shines.

Dembele - Again - needs to be offensive!!! My MOM today, when he is played in the right place - he exudes confidence. Strong as an ox and showed it against Altidore like he did against Lukaku. Seriously think he's one of the strongest players in the EPL. He also looks happy now!!! Well done the Mousse.

Holtby - if you're team aren't performing, it's great to have a pitbull in your team. It does appear he's aheadless chicken but the boy does have technical ability! That through ball to JD was immense.

JD - Effort and movement was very good - finishing unfortunate... If he'd scored those two then he'd be lauded on here and MOTD.

Missed the game and the highlights, so thanks everyone for the excellent ratings input. My preferred way to get a handle on the game rather than wading through turgid match reports.

It really should've been a 4 or 5-1 win. Defoe hit the post twice, he also put one wide when clean through and had another good effort blocked. Paulinho missed two great chances and also played a ball across the box for Defoe but for some reason Jermain stopped his run, there were some others as well I'm sure. I'm just glad we're actually creating chances instead of shooting from 35 yards all the time.

I agree with this 100%. If defoe scores that we would all be hearlding the pass that set the goa up.

It really should've been a 4 or 5-1 win. Defoe hit the post twice, he also put one wide when clean through and had another good effort blocked. Paulinho missed two great chances and also played a ball across the box for Defoe but for some reason Jermain stopped his run, there were some others as well I'm sure. I'm just glad we're actually creating chances instead of shooting from 35 yards all the time.

I agree. Whilst it is still a current concern that we are not scoring, the main grievance most of us had was that we were NOT creating chances.

Agree with most the ratings. Dembele bossed it. Lennon was a constant threat. Chadli floated in and out of the game but got into some useful positions, seeing more of him with each performance. Paulinho and Defoe both should have left with a match ball each really, the miss from the Holtby pass was horrible to watch. Back four were awesome and Daws and Capoue controlled Fletcher and Altidore well. MOM for me was Walker though, another good game where he was tidy in defence and threatening in attack.

I seem to be at odds with a lot of the board members again...I thought we were pretty poor against Utd and Fulham, but that we were excellent today. All-round, one of our best performances of the season, maybe the best.

Lloris gets a 5.5 for his really bad error.

Everyone else gets a 7 or an 8...Sandro a 6 because he got away with his terrible error (the handball).

In this game, we had a good balance between control and purposeful, attacking play. We created a number of good chances and we also defended well when we had to.

One of the few games this season where I feel the scoreline didn't really do us justice. I think we deserved 3 or 4 goals today.

I've been very harsh on Dembele but thought this was his best match of the season as a whole we were very good. Holtby is my MOM surprised some giving him low marks he was unlucky not to score and should have had superb assist had JD put that away. Not to mention his pressing was immense as usual.

Townsend as well took us to another level once he came on great cameo

6 - Lloris, Dawson, Naughton, Chadli, Townsend & Sigurdsson
7 - Walker, Paulinho, Sandro, Capoue & Defoe
7.5 - Holtby & Dembele
8 - Lennon (MotM)

7 - AVB

7 - Fans (get -1 for those constant crappy Campbell chants!)

8 - AVB for bringing back speed on the wings...hope he doesn't forget the effectiveness of lennon compared to townsend
8 - lennon MOTM for me too - hugely influential in both attack and defence; added a streak of unpredicability with his pace
7 - Dawson, Capoue, Walker - made their presence felt in defence
7 - holtby, dembele for all the good running in midfield; paulinho (6 if not for the goal)
6 - naughton, chadli - could have been more influential (both look a little off pace perhaps from a lack of games)
5 - Loris: 2 mistakes, 2 goals in 2 successive games. We need a young challenger this Jan. (Would Gomes have done any worse?)
5- Defoe: 4 clear cut chances - 2 hit the woodwork but should have put at least one of them in. Last one that crawled in front goal with him not trying says it all: he's lost that hunger for goal.

6- subs: sandro, siggy, townsend - did their part well to run down the game without taking too many risks (except that silly handball from sandro, a bit clumsy but accidental too).

I agree. Whilst it is still a current concern that we are not scoring, the main grievance most of us had was that we were NOT creating chances.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I was one of those who was complaining at our lack of entertaining play.
Obviously I know we will not be able to doing it constantly for 90mins, but yesterday for me was a massive step in the right direction.
Yes, its still a concern that we dont convert the chances, which means at 2-1 we are still on edge, but I was pleased with the result and the performance last night, much more like it.
I posted this blog on my website last Saturday

After last weekend's devastating defeat at the Etihad stadium, the last thing we probably needed was a vist from Manchester United, but, on the other hand, maybe we did. The Thursday night victory in Norway was a little confidence boost, but other than that not much more, in what was in effect, a dead fixture.
The visit of the Champions is something different entirely and begins a period of 7 days where we also travel to Fulham and Sunderland. 7 points or more from that trio of matches and things will look a lot better. A return of less than 5 points and we could find ourselves cut adrift from the leading pack.
United are not quite the team they were last season with a new manager in charge and hopefully we can make home advantage count,but something certainly needs to change from our recent home performances. Scoring a goal would be a start along with some entertaining and adventurous play. Fingers crossed by next Saturday night the league table looks a lot healthier and the doom and gloom of the last week is in the past.

I couldnt have asked for much more and my faith in AVB is slowly being restored and I will gladly apologise for some of my negative comments if we continue to show improvement

I've been very harsh on Dembele but thought this was his best match of the season as a whole we were very good. Holtby is my MOM surprised some giving him low marks he was unlucky not to score and should have had superb assist had JD put that away. Not to mention his pressing was immense as usual.
Townsend as well took us to another level once he came on great cameo

Ran himself into the ground, and it looked he was saying as much when he came off the pitch and was greeted by AVB

I'll hold my hands up and admit I was one of those who was complaining at our lack of entertaining play.
Obviously I know we will not be able to doing it constantly for 90mins, but yesterday for me was a massive step in the right direction.
Yes, its still a concern that we dont convert the chances, which means at 2-1 we are still on edge, but I was pleased with the result and the performance last night, much more like it.
I posted this blog on my website last Saturday

After last weekend's devastating defeat at the Etihad stadium, the last thing we probably needed was a vist from Manchester United, but, on the other hand, maybe we did. The Thursday night victory in Norway was a little confidence boost, but other than that not much more, in what was in effect, a dead fixture.
The visit of the Champions is something different entirely and begins a period of 7 days where we also travel to Fulham and Sunderland. 7 points or more from that trio of matches and things will look a lot better. A return of less than 5 points and we could find ourselves cut adrift from the leading pack.
United are not quite the team they were last season with a new manager in charge and hopefully we can make home advantage count,but something certainly needs to change from our recent home performances. Scoring a goal would be a start along with some entertaining and adventurous play. Fingers crossed by next Saturday night the league table looks a lot healthier and the doom and gloom of the last week is in the past.

I couldnt have asked for much more and my faith in AVB is slowly being restored and I will gladly apologise for some of my negative comments if we continue to show improvement

AVB has had a habit of doing this where he reverts to type i.e. reverts back after a few games. Ill be wanting yesterdays performance to be the blue print for future games. Defensively its is worrying but much more productive in an attacking sense.

Capoue and Dembele our best players for me, but all of them actually did well.

Capoue didn't put a foot wrong for me. Several great interceptions, read the game execellently, surprisingly strong in the air, and also very positionally aware in a position he doesn't play very often.

Dembele completely owned the midfield in the second half until he came off. When he is in that mood, he is unstoppable. He just brushes everyone who comes near him off, and this time he also moved in the right direction (forward) most of the time.

Walker had another very good game too. Solid defensively, and made soem very good attacking runs. His partnership with Lennon seems to have improved.

Dawson was solid. Wasn't challenged for pace often in this game, adn was important towards the end of the game when Sunderland started hitting a lot of long balls. Saved a goal near the end with his clearance after Lloris had pushed the ball out in front of goal.

Naughton was also solid. Defensively had no problems as I could see, and the man is actually a good footballer. On the ball he is intelligent and can pick out a good pass, like he did for Dembele before our second goal.

Paulinho was perhaps the player who got involved the least, but he scored a very important goal, and made good run forward. Sometimes a bit slack in his defensive play, though, but perhaps just tired?

Lennon had a fairly quiet first half, but he was terrific in the second. Unlucky not to get an assist, adn his work rate defensively was outstanding. Such an important player for us, both for what he does off the ball defensively, and for the balance he gives us going forward.

Chadli had a slow start, but gradually got into the game. Important at set pieces and set up a goal for us, and in the second half he also got involved in some good combination play going forward.

Holtby had the pass of the season so far for Defoe, and was always available to receive the ball in the second half, helping us to keep possession. Good work rate as usual.

Defoe showed some good movement and runs, but was twice unfortunate, and once not good enough, in his finishing. Lively performance, though.

Sandro helped us steady the ship, but was a very lucky boy.

Townsend showed us why he, in my opinion, should play on the left. Two good crosses almost lead to goals.

All in all, I was very happy with everyone, except Lloris. I thought they all did a good job this time.

Good but not great game (a couple of better finishes would have made it that)

Silly error from Lloris, but he will/has made up for it (still the best Spurs keeper in a very very long time)

Team is growing, better pace, better movement, more threat, only thing that let us down was conversion.

The piece I struggle with is why don't we see the opportunities JD gets fall for Soldado? is it just luck/timing, is JD actually making better runs, or do we try to play different for Soldado?

Maybe it was because Sunderland are poor, maybe it is because the team are starting to gell, maybe because Lennon is back and starting to be the "old" Lennon, who knows but we were using the width of the pitch to good advantage, which makes all the difference. (probably why Siggy won't start because he doesn't stay out wide.)
It's good news that we are starting to play well, to look like an attacking team, to look like Spurs again. The players' self-belief will be very high now....fingers crossed for a great performance against the Pool.

Back