• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings vs Maribor

Think why Friedel has played so many games over the years. He has played safe and sensible style which has reaped rewards over a season. Loris yesterday had two moments that reminded me of Gomes where he took stupid risks and lost. Loris seems super aggressive which in many ways is a good thing but he could learn a lot from Brad and hopefully he will.

Bale was mom for me but he needs to stop the theatrics, kicking the ball away and getting booked was studid and I hope someone on the coaching staff tries to reel in his ego as he did similiar things in preseason. Fair play for playing on with a broken jaw though.

Ade was outstanding for me, in how he played with a swagger, super control and strength and a real presence. He misses chances, yes but he keeps getting in to those positions on a regular basis. Really showed what we have been missing.

This is why I like the Europa League. A game against a significantly weaker opposition that can help to build up confidence and get the chance to see some of the squad players.

Lloris - 5,5 - A whole point deducted because of the mistake that led to the goal.

Walker - 7 - His best game this season
Dawson - 7 - Assured defensive performance and some good diagonal long balls.
Vertonghen 6,5 - Decent game
Naughton - 6 - Shouldn't have made that pass to Lloris and looked a little shakey at times. Good forward passing though.

Huddlestone - 7 - Decent game in the holding midfield position
Carrol - 7,5 - Very impressed with him. His movement and ball retention is a joy to watch. Also think he did a fine job defensively.
Lennon - 7 - Most of our attacks went through Bale, but Lennon did look threatening at times.
Bale - 8,5 - Brilliant performance, not much to say. Created so many chances from the left.

Adebayor - 7 - Was very good in the build up play and showed what we are mssing, when he's not involved. Should've scored though.
Defoe - 8 - Showed was he's all about with some wonderful clinical finishing. Especially his first goal was class.

Punching crosses if under pressure is a good thing, most good goalies to this regularly.

Goalkeepers should have course get to most crosses they go for, but missing some is part of the game. If you only go for the crosses you're 100% sure of getting to you're essentially Reina and stuck on your line for almost all of them.
Well yes, when that's the best available option. But I recall two or three unnecessary punches since he arrived that might have gifted a chance to the opposition when a catch looked just as easy.

Maybe the problem is I'm always comparing our GKs to the incomparable Pat Jennings who almost NEVER missed a cross. Except, come to think of it, when he first came into the side. In those early days - the mid-60s - he too was very prone to flapping and punching. It wasn't until a season or two later that he began to make almost a habit of catching one-handed.

Difference is that Lloris is already well into his mid-twenties and therefore less likely to improve that much on his technique.

Catching up with these.

Maribor (H) 3-1

Having also beaten Reading 3-1 (A) earlier this season this game received the exact same rating of 7.02. Defoe was MOTM with his hat-trick, also getting the highest rating of any player throughout the whole season, previously held by him (away vs Reading) and Vertonghen (away vs Man Utd) with 8.21. Gareth Bale also beat the previous highest rating by getting 8.50 in this game. The lowest game rating for this match was 5.91 and the highest was 8.09, which highlights the difference in opinions amongst forum members.

New high or low ratings (previous value in brackets)

Lloris - 5.54 (6.19)
Naughton - 5.43 (6.29)

The above ratings show how Lloris and Naughton received equal blame for Maribor's goal. This was Naughton's first sub-5.5 of the season having played 5 games.

Defoe - 8.70 (8.21) - MOTM for the second time this season and also second over-7.5 performance. An incredible 4.09 increase in rating from his previous match vs Wigan.
Bale - 8.50 (8.07) - third over 7.5 performance of the season, incredibly has yet to be MOTM in any game.
Carroll - 7.83 (6.14) - first over 7.5 performance in only his third game of the season.
Adebayor - 7.37 (6.85)
Huddlestone - 6.91 (6.56)
Dawson - 6.85 (6.36)

bxtfH.jpg

Back