• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings vs Maribor

LLoris - 4
Walker - 5
Dawson - 7
Vertonghen - 6
Naughton - 4
Lennon - 6
Hudd - 6
Carroll - 7
Bale - 8
Defoe - 9
Ade - 7

Dempsey - 5
Mason - 5
Falque - 5

Lloris - 5. Howler, bit of dodgy distribution, but love the way he commands the area.

Walker - 6. Didn't have too much to do defensively, and got forward ok.
Dawson - 7. Good to see him back. Thought he done well.
Vertonghen - 7. Looked so comfortable.
Naughton - 5. Didn't look comfortable to me. Also noticed several occasions he was completely open and our players didn't pass to him - odd.

Lennon - 6. Mixed bag really. One occasion when he should've taken the shot but passed was disappointing.
Hudd' - 6. Some lovely passing, but also some misplaced. Apart from that done well I thought.
Carroll - 7. Very impressed. If he gets the opportunity I think he'll do very well for us.
Bale - 8. Best I've seen from him for a while. Possibly as he was running from deeper as opposed to being further up the pitch.

Adebayor - 7. Held the ball up brilliantly on several occasions. Just wish he was a better finisher.
Defoe - 8. Movement was excellent. Finishing was excellent. All you want from a striker really.
Yes I noticed that too, wondered what is going on. Worrying.

Lloris 5.5 - Obviously made a big error. A terrible pass back though. Also I'm fairly sure he was trying to bring the ball back onto his favoured left. No excuses though, should have put his foot through it. Looked mentally strong through and was happy to keep taking balls under pressure. And as always really quick off his line onto through balls.

Walker 6 - Fairly average game for Kyle. Looks threatening going forward, and stable at the back.
Dawson 7 - Solid.
Vertonghen 7 - Solid.
Naughton 4 - Didn't have the best game - didn't get forward much and obviously dropped Lloris right in it.

Lennon 7.5 - Good game, looked OK going forward, should have scored bu chose to try and set-up Adebayor. Really good defending.
Huddlestone 7 - Probably his best game this season. Some great trademark passes from the lad. Starting to look fitted too.
Carroll 8 - Great game. Worked hard, played some lovely passes. I can really see him developing into a quality player. Would love to see him on loan at a smaller PL club that like to pass the ball about next season. Somewhere like Swansea or Liverpool! ;)
Bale 9 - Outstanding. Maribor couldn't touch him, the ball for Defoe's 1st and 3rd were great and he didn't stop running all night. Brilliant.

Adebayor 7 - SUCH A SHAME that he didn't finish he scoop from Bale. Would have been an incredible. Did a lot of work in build up play and his movement and presence give Bale, Lennon and Defoe a lot of space. Think he should start at the weekend.
Defoe 9 - Hat-trick! Great movement, finishing and work rate. First class. MOM.

Adebayor 7 - SUCH A SHAME that he didn't finish that scoop from Bale. Would have been incredible.

Forgot about that! That would have been one of our all time classics. Thinking back we could have scored a couple more.
I can't wait until it all comes together and we really give some team a bashing goals wise.

Forgot about that! That would have been one of our all time classics. Thinking back we could have scored a couple more.
I can't wait until it all comes together and we really give some team a bashing goals wise.

...and that turn and chip when he was only slighty offside. Was good to see him back.

Lloris 6
Walker 6
Dawson 6
Vertonghen 7
Naughton 5
Lennon 7
Huddlestone 7
Carroll 8
Bale 8
Adebayor 6
Defoe 7

Subs n/a

Regarding Lloris, I see a lot of people saying 'he needs a run of games'. You should have to earn the right to get a run of games by either, playing very well in the cup games/europe where you have been given a chance, or playing well when your given a chance because Brad has been brick.

Brad hasn't been brick. Lloris has made a fudge up in one of the games he's been given a chance to prove himself enough that he deserves a run.

So why should he just be given a run of games? He's obviously a fantastic goal keeper, but why should he have this right just to get a run of games?

Regarding Lloris, I see a lot of people saying 'he needs a run of games'. You should have to earn the right to get a run of games by either, playing very well in the cup games/europe where you have been given a chance, or playing well when your given a chance because Brad has been brick.

Brad hasn't been brick. Lloris has made a fudge up in one of the games he's been given a chance to prove himself enough that he deserves a run.

So why should he just be given a run of games? He's obviously a fantastic goal keeper, but why should he have this right just to get a run of games?

So he makes one mistake in 6 games and shouldn't be give a chance again. Brad hasn't been but hasn't been any better either

With regards to games, its not the case of him "deserving it" its the case of us being pragmatic and thinking about the long term security of the GK role. Friedel will only be around until the end of the seaon, Lloris has at least 10 years in him.

Lloris 5 Howler
Walker 6.5 steady
Dawson 6 not much to deal with
Vertonghen 6 solid
Naughton 5 not his best
Lennon 5.5 fairly quiet again struggled in final third
Carroll 8 fantastic pulling the strings
Huddlestone 7 his best match of the year
Bale 9 fantastic
Defoe 10 3 great finishes what more can you ask?
Adebayor 7.5 integral part of our play

Just like to make a quick note on my ratings, i thought although Bale and Defoe stole the show, i thought Ade provided a great foil for the rest of the front players to play off. I also thought that Carroll did really well in making the play and he looks like a great creative midfield maestro in the making (I hope). Also special mention to Dawson who looked really solid and his passing was great played a couple of superb cross-field passes to Bale. Not always his strong point but last night he was spot on in this regard.

With regards to games, its not the case of him "deserving it" its the case of us being pragmatic and thinking about the long term security of the GK role. Friedel will only be around until the end of the seaon, Lloris has at least 10 years in him.

To me thats more reason to keep Freidel in goal if he is the one playing better out of the two. He's only here until the end of the season, Lloris will have 9 years following that to establish himself and possibly go on to be one of the best keepers in the premiership.

I do agree Freidel has not been fantastic of late though. I just wanted to make a point that to me, players should get a run of games if they play well enough to deserve a run of games. 'he needs games' should not be an excuse for players mistakes.

So he makes one mistake in 6 games and shouldn't be give a chance again. Brad hasn't been but hasn't been any better either

Sadly he made TWO mistakes last night, not one! The other was when he came off his line from a corner and completely missed the cross. It could easily have cost us but their header went over the bar. A heart-in-mouth moment that everyone seems to have forgotten. And you well know ArcspacE he's made one or two bad misjudgements in previous games as well.

Not that I am against him in any way, I believe he will turn out to be a great acquisition for us once he gets over jitters. But let's not kid ourselves, his form at the moment is not what it needs to be. Given that Brad continues by-and-large to be a safe pair of hands I don't see what the rush is. If Lloris was playing blinders that would be something else, but he clearly isn't.

Sadly he made TWO mistakes last night, not one! The other was when he came off his line from a corner and completely missed the cross. It could easily have cost us but their header went over the bar. A heart-in-mouth moment that everyone seems to have forgotten. And you well know ArcspacE he's made one or two bad misjudgements in previous games as well.

Not that I am against him in any way, I believe he will turn out to be a great acquisition for us once he gets over jitters. But let's not kid ourselves, his form at the moment is not what it needs to be. Given that Brad continues by-and-large to be a safe pair of hands I don't see what the rush is. If Lloris was playing blinders that would be something else, but he clearly isn't.

I don't know your stance on this, but the main argument against Brad is that he doesn't even try. Doomed either way it seems.

I don't know your stance on this, but the main argument against Brad is that he doesn't even try. Doomed either way it seems.
Agree, Brad's no better on crosses. But if you're going to come for them, you need to catch them, otherwise you are that much more exposed. In previous games Lloris has also shown a worrying tendency to punch clear rather than catch, so like you say, doomed either way.

However, LLoris is clearly the future, but he needs to put in a decent run of performances before he can think about displacing Brad.

Lloris 5 - Was partially at fault for their goal though Naughton has to shoulder some of the blame. I do like that he tries to command his area more than Brad but probably a night he'll want to forgot.

Walker 7 - A good solid game for Walker which has to help him rebuild his confidence after a few below par performances of late.
Dawson 7 - Great game and has reminded everyone what a good defender he really is. Delighted for him.
Vertonghen 7 - Far far better as a CB than a LB in my opinion. He gets caught out of position too many times as LB.
Naughton 5 - The poorest game I've seen him play.

Lennon 7 - Dangerous overall but could have been better with some of his final balls.
Huddlestone 7 - Good good confidence builder from the lad. Should be allowed to take the next pen for hair's sake.
Carroll 8 - Absolutely brilliant match from the lad. Was Huddlestone's legs for the most part and played it around beautifully. Special mention for the through ball to Defoe for his 2nd goal.
Bale 9 - Stay on the left. Please. Top performance where he focussed mostly on what he does best. Scoop pass to Ade was a nice piece of invention,
Adebayor 7 - Makes us look better even if he isn't scoring. Has to start at the weekend.
Defoe 9 - Out to prove a point to AVB I'd say. Point made.

Ref 1 - and that's just for remembering to blow the whistle at the end of the match. dingdong head.

Agree, Brad's no better on crosses. But if you're going to come for them, you need to catch them, otherwise you are that much more exposed. In previous games Lloris has also shown a worrying tendency to punch clear rather than catch, so like you say, doomed either way.

However, LLoris is clearly the future, but he needs to put in a decent run of performances before he can think about displacing Brad.

Punching crosses if under pressure is a good thing, most good goalies to this regularly.

Goalkeepers should have course get to most crosses they go for, but missing some is part of the game. If you only go for the crosses you're 100% sure of getting to you're essentially Reina and stuck on your line for almost all of them.

Lloris 6

Walker 7
Dawson 7
Vertonghen 7
Naughton 6

Lennon 6
Hudd 7
Carroll 7
Bale 8

Defoe 8
Ade 7

Agree with this post 100%. Also puts into perspective the point I was trying to make better than I actually managed to.

Back