• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Scum

For me the biggest mistake (other than the goal) was AVB's playing 4 midfielders who didn't know each other Why not Sandro and holtby with Dembele or Paulinho?

Like most of these things, it's never just what one person does. Rose got caught out of position and Dawson played them onside; it happens. We are changing our defensive set-up and it's not coming together yet.

My ratings...

Lloris - 7 - amazing display but beaten at the near post
Walker - 6 - average, wish he'd have done better with his air kick
Vertonghen - 7 - decent
Dawson - 5 - poor for the goal and just generally
Rose - 7 - did pretty well surprisingly
Capoue - 6 - mixed bag
Dembele - 5 - What does he do???
Paulinho - 6 - not quite got to grips with the premier league just yet
Chadli - 5 - WHAT DOES HE DO? Can't cross, shoot, take corners, take free kicks or take on his man. WTF?
Townsend - 7 - tried hard
Soldado - 6 - limited service

For me the biggest mistake (other than the goal) was AVB's playing 4 midfielders who didn't know each other Why not Sandro and holtby with Dembele or Paulinho?

For me it was the Defoe substitution. We ended up with two strikers without service rather than one. Holtby was the correct sub IMO.

For me it was the Defoe substitution. We ended up with two strikers without service rather than one. Holtby was the correct sub IMO.

I disagree, I think the biggest mistake was taking off Townsend. No logic to it when Chadli was having such an off-day, bringing on Lamela for Chadli would have made us far more dangerous IMO.

Lloris - 9 boss kept it close
Walker - 6 did ok fluffed some decent chances
Vertonghen - 7 class
Dawson - 5 time for Kaboom
Rose - 5.5 not his best day
Chadli 6 good first half faded
Dembele 4 poor starting to wonder what he actually brings to the team
Capoue 5 looked off the pace today hope he is ok
Townsend 6.5 one of few who was always positive tried and tried
Paulinho 6 worked hard best if cm bunch but still didnt create enough
Soldado 5 anonymous

Defoe 6 made some things happen
Lamela 5.5 not enough time but showed enough in his cameo to get me excited
Sandro 6.5 did well after he came on

Lloris - 8
Saved us 2 or 3 times.

Walker - 5
Walker and Rose had to do so much offensive work - after all, nobody else was doing it - it's not surprising they appeared worse than others, but I think it's just that they were on the ball so much they stood out as poor. I still have faith he can make it.
Dawson - 4
Poor. I think we'll see Chiriches sooner rather than later depending on Kaboom's chronic fitness issues.
Vertonghen - 5
Average. Couple of upfield runs caught us out when he lost possession. Souness seemed to think he was at fault for the goal rather than Daws, so I'd like to see that again.
Rose - 6
See Walker...stood out as poor only because he was asked to do so much. He wasn't great today, but I see encouraging signs.

Paulinho - 5
He shirked several tackles which really shocked me. Looked scared to pass the ball forward. Looked knackered near the end.
Dembele - 4
Awful. Doesn't look like he knows what he's meant to be doing. Like he's lost his game. For sure I don't now what his function today was. Transition, maybe? Lord knows, because he ran around in circles.
Capoue - 5
Just seemed to give the ball away so much. Hope he's ok, but I fear a serious injury.

Chadli - 4.5
Looked good in opening 15 minutes, and shockingly poor after. Looked scared. Appears to have the technique, but boy oh boy he's miles off for me. Squad player to be developed...assuming we have someone to replace him that is.
Soldado - 4
Can't blame him for getting no service, but he looks slow, not particularly strong and offers nothing outside the box (except for one nice piece of hold-up play). Completely the opposite of what we needed today.
Townsend -7
At least he seemed to be trying to move towards the opposition goal.

AVB
Owned very hard by Wenger. We were completely controlled by the opposition (and the possession stat does not disprove that), passing the ball sideways or hoofing it. I really have no idea what we were trying to do, other than pack the midfield with beasts who turned out to be wallflowers. Pretty depressing.

Agree with these scores and comments.

A bad day at the office. The midfield beasts were all pussies - outfought by midgets. Really shocked by that.

Game was crying out for a player like Holtby to come on, really disappointed with the Defoe sub.

Game was crying out for a player like Holtby to come on, really disappointed with the Defoe sub.

This! For me the Defoe sub was an admission of defeat. Soldado just needed support from an advanced attacking player, not a selfish poacher. Should have been Holtby for Dembele and Lamela for Chadli in my mind.. Surely that combination would have offered the greatest attacking threat?

I'm still too annoyed to offer any kind of fair or reasoned ratings at this point.

This! For me the Defoe sub was an admission of defeat. Soldado just needed support from an advanced attacking player, not a selfish poacher. Should have been Holtby for Dembele and Lamela for Chadli in my mind.. Surely that combination would have offered the greatest attacking threat?

I'm still too annoyed to offer any kind of fair or reasoned ratings at this point.

It was certainly a strange decision and smacked somewhat of desperation.

Lloris - 8.5. Magnificent from Lloris. Couple of world class saves, 2 or 3 solid ones, and most impressively, 2/3 immense dashes off his line to prevent certain goals.

Rose - 7. I was worried about Danny beforehand, but IMO he performed very well. Some promising moments going forward and largely kept his cool in defence (when others didn't). Personally don't blame him for their goal, he was following the offside line set by Verts, and was out of position due to having been upfield when we lost it in CM.
Daws - 4. Not a great game from Dawson. Love the guy but sadly when he play a high line against a team like Arsenal he's ALWAYS going to be vulnerable especially if we don't provide pressure on the ball in front of him. It showed. Few good crossfield pings but also got caught out on too many occasions. Probably should have followed Vertonghen's lead for their goal instead of dropping with Giroud, who he then lost anyway.
Vertonghen - 6. Personally don't think he's entirely blameless for ther goal - should he have been trying to play offside there? Otherwise decent game particularly on the ball (distribution good), but looked a tad sluggish at times.
Walker - 5. Sadly as is too frequent - poor, rash, sloppy touches on the ball having done great to get to the position using his pace. One great goalsaving challenge. Looked troubled at times.

Capue - 5.5. Mixed bag: some spells of extremely sloppy play, lost 50-50s and gave it away too much. Actually thought he was improving prior to the injury... hope the lad's ok, cos I see so much potential in him.
Paulinho - 5. Personally very disappointed with him today. Some promising moments, you can see he's got intelligent movement which gets him to good areas of the pitch, but made wrong decision every time (not helped by lack of options most of the time). Shirked 50-50s on more than one occasion.
Dembele - 4. Very poor, thought this was from the start. Mousa didn't look 100% match-fit to start with - but he held onto the ball too long too often. Lost most 50-50 duels. Got bypassed frequently. Out thought & out manoeuvred in CM.

Chadli - 5.5. Mixed bag. First 20-30 mins I thought he looked really good! Linked up with Rose well, was a threat, showed great bits of touch and skill (couple of really nice unexpected flicks). Then from 30 mins or so onwards, completely disappeared from the match and should have been subbed IMO.
Soldado - 5. No service. Not his kind of game - he's not big or lightning or a target man, so if he doesn't get support he's gonna struggle. Couple of opportunistic flashes (two shots blocked) but otherwise mostly anonymous.
Townsend - 6.5. I thought he was our biggest threat while he was on the pitch. Is head down at times, does shoot maybe a tad too much.... but I'm conflicted, as it still provided a THREAT. Some very good dribbles, commiting Scum players. Don't think he links up with Walker as well as Lennon does - their natural games do not suit eachother and clearly it needs to be worked on a lot if he's gonna start over Lennon...

subs:

Defoe - 5. No visible impact TBH. Struggled to feed off s****s.
Lamela & Sando - couple of flashes but not on for long enough to really justify rating

manager:

AVB - 4. I love AVB to death. And I don't usually rate the manager. But here I will, cos I think he got it wrong with the subs today. Don't agree with Defoe sub at all. We were at least controlling the game before we went 4-4-2. We were just CRYING OUT for creativity.. someone to get into space and thread passes through to our starved-of-service strikers. Bringing JD made us lose this control - it was a 50-50 game again for a considerable amount of time. And two poacher/diminutive type of strikers on when we weren't controlling the game? Madness. The Scum marshalled by Flamini were defending relentlessly and it basically killed any vague chance of us getting any service to them. Defoe & Soldado basically will never win anything chucked in the air either. Holtby or even Siggy on would IMO have been a better call. Also don't agree with leaving Chadli on and taking Townsend off - at this point our only real threat all game went off and Chadli stayed on, remaining anonymous as explained above.

Oh well, I'm over it. AVB will learn, I have utter faith in him. Let's turn the c**ts over at WHL and more importantly, win the war. Onwards and upwards COYS

Back