• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings V Basil

I've praised AVB when he's got things right. This was as far away from one of those times as I can remember. Just because you can get away with it sometimes doesn't mean it's not a reckless and idiotic strategy.

If you had a two-inch **** and went up to a girl, dropped your pants, showed her your bonor and said "what are we going to do about this eh?" raising your eyebrows in a pervy manner, one of the 3bn+ women on this planet might giggle and toss you off. But most of the time they'd laugh at you and your chances of getting laid would be over. This is the same. You might get away with it. But to lose your ability to influence the game with so long remaining is just lunacy.

Brilliant! Just Brilliant! I'll reply more seriously later when i've stopped laughing myself silly:ross::ross::ross:

Rare to see Tottenham so comprehensively outplayed at home but Basel handed out a thoroughly humiliating lesson in passing-and-movement and enterprise, imagination and penetration against a Spurs team so mesmirised and demoralised they'd lost all will to compete long before the final whistle

Friedel 4 - atrocious distribution, almost every clearance = and there were loads - was an invitation to Basel to have another go at us

Naughton 5 - performance riddled with errors and poor positioning but he did at least produce a couple of good shots from distance

Gallas 4 - totally lost it tonight. Gobsmacked that he exposed his team to greater risk of conceding a third. His injury story had better be a good one

Ekotto 4- he is really tinkling me off nowadays, playing way too arrogantly / nonchalantly for my liking, asking for trouble

Holtby 6 - plenty of mistakes and dire shooting too but at least he put some energy and purpose in to it

Dembele 5 - another indifferent performance

Parker 5 - how many moves did he fudge up tonight, he's so infuriating, just cannot pass more than 5 yards to save his life. His saving grace is his huge energy and commitment

Lennon 4 - looked off his game from the word go, was he even fit to start?

Adebayor 5 - a well-taken goal but it cannot mask an otherwise dreadful performance overall

Bale 5 - a rare below-par performance, let's hope he quickly recovers from that boot on his nastily-turned ankle, otherwise we're toast

Subs

Sigurdsson 6 - reminds me of the dreaded Bentley the way he so often gets caught in possession. One or two bright moments including a somewhat fortuitous goal

Dawson 5 - cheered along with everyone else when he came on only for him to go and put his foot in it all over the place. Jeez!

Dempsey 5 - little to show for his short foray

I've praised AVB when he's got things right. This was as far away from one of those times as I can remember. Just because you can get away with it sometimes doesn't mean it's not a reckless and idiotic strategy.

But to lose your ability to influence the game with so long remaining is just lunacy.

Ok, in reply to your point about the subs I think we have to cut AVB some slack here. First sub for Lennon was forced on him.
Second sub of BAE was understandable (though I would have taken Gallas off personally), and I could see the logic in putting Verts as LB to make us more solid - i think at that point AVB wanted us to just hang on in there and not lose. With the way we were handing over posession especially BAE I could see the logic in just hanging on after all there's a second leg on the way.
The third sub I could also understand as Holtby was starting the stunt our attacks on the right by cutting inside and also Naughton was not getting as fporward as perhaps Walker would do and offering an overlap. Holtby was also become a liability in terms of keeping posession. We needed a right-sided player there or at least another body in the middle to try and occupy Basle's defenders/CMs. Again understandable, especially with Dempsey's strength, willingness to run and aerial threat. Reember also that for all Basle's posession, good play and chances they folded relatively when we put THEM under any bit of pressue. I think AVB wanted Dempsey to be able to add to any amount of that.

In short, the timings of the subs were not as bad as you're making out. In fact all were understandable imo

All that I know is you cannot play that back line and AVBs high line tactics whilst putting in a keeper that likes to stick to his goal line.

AVB starting lineup - 1

Really? A speedster yes, but did you see his final ball??

he'll get a lot more chances with a team like us, and he's only got defoe's goal-to-shots ratio to beat!

more seriously we lack penetration in the penalty box and most of our goals have come outside of it. if we manage to keep bale, he could be a very useful and an option we can afford.

All that I know is you cannot play that back line and AVBs high line tactics whilst putting in a keeper that likes to stick to his goal line.

AVB starting lineup - 1

A reasonable point in general, although to be fair, I'm not convinced either of their goals tonight can be put down to our trying to hold too high a line. The first one was a collective failure on the part of the defence to react to the second ball after it rebounded off the post; the second one came from our failure to deal with a corner, didn't it?

A reasonable point in general, although to be fair, I'm not convinced either of their goals tonight can be put down to our trying to hold too high a line. The first one was a collective failure on the part of the defence to react to the second ball after it rebounded off the post; the second one came from our failure to deal with a corner, didn't it?

I have to say, again we must look to the centre of midfield and wonder WHO is covering in these situations? It must be obvious that Gallas and Friedel are both going to be, errr, less than speedy with a high-line, so it is imperative that one of our CMs drops deep and covers! I cannot remember how many times they were caught too far upfield! I PERSONALLY think someone should be tasked with the job, and for me, that person should be Parker. I can also see the benefits of Dembele deeper. the main problem is, neither of them can actually PASS QUICKLY from a deep position! Oh what a shame the Hudd is not up-to-speed (seemingly) as right now, in Basle, I'd seriously, seriously consider him playing deep and Dembele advanced. But you know Hudd wouldn't cover like he should...but he might create from deep? The only other thing would be to gamble and play Carroll next to Dembele...anyway, ratings

Friedel 5 - He did OK. Distribution wasn't great, ditto he simply does not control his box/that last third of the pitch like Lloris.

Naughton 5 - Again OK, but if we're going to have FBs who make mistakes, they need to offer more going forwards

Gallas 4 - Really approaching the end IMO. A poor performance. Lucky the ref showed him mercy. Deserved a 2nd yellow IMO.

Ekotto 4- Playing like someone who knows he's off. I will say he had little help on the left, but his positional play was often naive.

Holtby 5 - He huffs and he puffs but he needs to show more quality to me. Reminds of Oyvind Leonardshen right now.

Dembele 7 - super strong, tried to carry the team tonight, was virtually a lone ranger. Unfortunate. I thought he was like an ox.

Parker 5 - energy and effort were a '10' but his football brain is pea-sized. Unbelievably frustrating.

Lennon 5 - well, not 100%.

Adebayor 6 - worked really hard, scored, put in a shift

Bale 5 - quiet and curiously unable to get into the game.

Subs

Sigurdsson 6 - decent enough but still not special enough

Dawson 5 - he worried me tonight. Shakey. Some awful mistakes which went unpunished.

Dempsey 5 - I'm a fan but he was anonymous. Never got into it.

Freidel - 5 - Don't think he could do much for either goal, made some good saves to keep the score low in the first half for sure.

Naughton - 6 - Our only goal threat at times, says it all.
Gallas - 4 - This is his last season and potentially his last ever game for us, it's been a good ride, he's had some superb games for us and will never forget Arsenal at The Emirates.
Vertonghen - 5 - Not his best game, thought he'd get a rest today to be honest and allow Caulker to play.
Ekotto - 4 - Getting beaten time after time down the flank, never helps when the person in front of him never gets back.

Lennon - 4 - Not really involved, shame to see him go off injured, especially with our run in and no natural replacement
Dembele - 7 - Our best player, great skill, great strength, just a shame he was playing with this pile of brick.
Parker - 4 - Not good enough, loses the ball too much, the miss was inexcusable.
Holtby - 5 - Shame he's being shafted out to the wing, i'd have liked to have seen him play off Ade and Bale on the left for this one.

Bale - 4.5 - Another one of the anonymous games for Bale behind the striker I thought. No moment of magic from him to make everyone think he deserves a higher rating.
Adebayor - 5 - Scored a vital goal at a vital time, bit like against Inter Milan. Would much prefer he saved some goals for the Premier League though.

--

Sigurdsson - 5 - Works hard, like that he has the ability to shoot on goal, got an important equaliser for us.
Dawson - 4 - He really wasn't good, but I dont think its ever easy being a defender and coming on late.
Dempsey - 3 - Hardly touched the ball, if he did, I don't remember.

Freidel - 6 - Don't think he done much wrong, distribution could be a lot better.
Naughton - 6 - Tidy.
Gallas - 4 - Knows what he has to do but he his a yard short doing it, thank you and goodbye William.
Vertonghen - 6 - Dont like him at LB but he was very good going forward when he was there.
Ekotto - 4 - Poor
Lennon - 4 - poor but I think he is playing with an injury, we look so much better balanced with him on the field.
Dembele - 6 - Played well second half.
Parker - 4 - His limitations were exposed and at times it was embarressing.
Holtby - 4 - lots of effort, good attitude but wasteful, jury still out.
Bale - 6 - worked hard but cant do it for us every game.
Adebayor - 6 - no complaints, solid game.

--

Sigurdsson - 5 - would have been a 4 if not for the goal, so much breaks down on him, jury still out.
Dawson - 6 - difficult game to come into cold, Basel were flying.
Dempsey - 2 - was he on the pitch?

If you had a two-inch **** and went up to a girl, dropped your pants, showed her your bonor and said "what are we going to do about this eh?" raising your eyebrows in a pervy manner, one of the 3bn+ women on this planet might giggle and toss you off. But most of the time they'd laugh at you and your chances of getting laid would be over. This is the same. You might get away with it. But to lose your ability to influence the game with so long remaining is just lunacy.

:ross: yeah sure you have......you love a good ol' AVB bash

Friedle - 4 - Looked shakey to me, stays on his line too much and does not allow us to counter attack due to not releasing the ball quick enough

Naughton - 4 - Defensively awful and at fault for both goals due to bad covering, 2 shots from our right back does not mask not doing the day job
Gallas - 0 - Lets hope we never see him in the shirt again as I feel his performances do not warrant starting over Caulker
Vertonghen - 5 - Mixed bag for Jan, ok but looked shakey at times
BAE - 5 - Not sure why he was taken off as he was having a steady game, though the Basel right sided player was rapid!

Demebele - 7 - Best Spurs player on Park for me
Parker - 5 - Mixed bag but lacks disapplin and leaves us far to open to the counter attack with his box to box style

Lennon - Injured too early
Bale - 3 - Poor game from the star player IMO, but everyone is allowed them now and again. Lets hope he is back soon!
Holtby - 6 - Lacked disapplin same as parker leaving us exposed to a quick switch of play and BAE being 1v1 against the Eygption Lennon. Tired hard and I like effort

Adebayor - 5 - Not bad but we just cant seem to build attacks off him like we did last season, good goal but otherwise not great

Subs

Gylfi - 6 - Decent when he come on and think he has been good for a while now
Dawson - 4 - Poor and struggled to pick up the pace
Dempsey - 1 -All I can remember him do is take stupid unrealistic shots

AVB - 6- Tactically got it right but team and motivation was not there. I can not understand why Dawson/Caulker did not start when there centre forward was 6ft 5.

To say that Parker is a mixed bag is putting it kindly. Masses of effort but his pass completion rate was abysmal. Time and time again I was shouting at the TV for Parker (and the team) to play a SIMPLE ball, and keep possession, but time and time again Parker in particular passes to the opposition.

It could have been MUCH worse. As it is, we are still in with a shout, which is good news....but boy will we have to raise our game against Everton.

Friedel 6

Naughton 5
Gallas 4
Vertonghen 5
Ekotto 5

Lennon n/a
Parker 5
Dembele 6
Holtby 5.5

Bale 5
Ade 5.5

Siggy 6.5