• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pushing Up The Daisies - 2023

Steve Harwell of Smashmouth fame has passed away much too young.

Appreciating that a cursory glance at a beeb round up of his life isn't thorough research but looks to have had some real difficulties including losing a son to Leukemia and struggles with addiction which led to leaving the band.

Still had a major impacton people's lives, even just via cameos in films such as Shrek and Rat Race (underrated classic if such a thing can exist). NGL I've never sat down down and thought "I really wanna stick a Smashmouth record on" but all-star is an unbelievably great song.

Christ on a jet ski, can't believe I'm the first on here to acknowledge the passing of musical genius and writing legend Jimmy Buffett. Died at 76 of skin cancer this past weekend, hardly a shock given his sun-kissed lifestyle. But what a life.

Tremendously talented as a musician, songwriter and, especially, a charismatic live performer. An audience full of potheads and parrotheads. Loved this album, one of the first I bought:

You_Had_to_Be_There.jpg

Versatile and well-rounded, he could crush classics like this one from 1934:

But he proved to be a true Renaissance man. He parlayed his immortal Margaritaville hit song into a chain of successful lifestyle restaurants that helped him die a billionaire. He story telling abilities translated beyond songs. He wrote amazing, best-selling books about colourful characters chasing their fortunes along the US Gulf Coast region and around the Caribbean.

s-l500.jpg

81LJS3SJcpL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

A_Salty_Piece_of_Land.jpg

He also wrote a series of children's books and was an actor on stage, screen and television in numerous productions. The man made his mark.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha. What cultural poverty.

The man died a much-beloved artist - to say nothing of being a mega millionaire - who played to stadium sized audiences into his 70s. Can't imagine how he did that without you.

Back