• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Positives from tonights game

If Dawson, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Sandro or Paulinho had been available we would have won for sure. But Chiriches really struggled against the high balls and there was no defensive midfielder to protect the defence. I know Sherwood wanted to make a point of going 4-4-2 to be different to AVB and stake his claim, but to play with two direct wingers and two attacking central midfielders in that formation was a very bad idea. I said at the start of the game that that starting lineup was a big insult to West Ham.

Adebayor looked good, but the biggest positive for me was that, for the first time since the Harry era, when one of our players passed the ball they would, you know, keep running forward to find space for a return pass. Make no mistake, tonight was ****, but we were limited in the personnel we could select and it was a BIG step forward from some of the home performances under AVB this season, one of which I'll remind you all was against this opposition in which we scored less goals and conceded more than we did tonight.

what spitshine said.

There are NONE! Those subs were utterly stupid! Take Ade off at 78? only 1-0 up. Play with a lone striker after that in a cup game? Never been so mad after a game in recent years. Good enough to play 442 and for some moments the team showed some grit, but those last 15 minutes were the worst this season. One of the best finishers in Europe on the bench. Why not put him on for Dembele on the 85th at least?

Whoever the new manager is, jesus christ, what a job to sort out this mess!

West Ham started creating chances by going direct before the Ade sub. Going one up top with 10-15 minutes left when leading by a goal is hardly that controversial? Had we managed to hold on Sherwood would have been praised for his tactical astuteness. As I've said elsewhere I don't quite get why Ade was taken off instead of Defoe, but we don't have all the information available to us.

After the Holtby for Ade sub we had used our 3 subs so putting on Soldado for Dembele after 85 minutes wasn't an option.

+ good 30 first minutes, thought we attacked well, unfortunate not to get a goal, but I can only wonder what Soldado would've done with the amounts of crosses into the box
+ adebayor was excellent
+ rose too
+ we seemed to have far more passing alternatives when attacking
+ i didn't almost fall asleep during the game
+ nice to see townsend on the left and lennon on the right (at least for a while)
+ we wanted to score from the get-go

Some obvious negative ones too, but since this is the positive thread, I'll leave it at that.

Quite a few for me.

- Rose and Ade back, both doing well
- More threatening shapes in the final 3rd - channels worked, 1-2's around the D, players trying to get in behind, fewer speculative distance shots
- Better tempo and give-and-go around park, especially in first half
- We have now used up all our thunderously, ridiculously bad luck for the season. Next 6 on the bounce we win.

Nice post.

I don't know so much about luck but tonight WHam did not make a single mistake. I mean not one. And AT pulls his hamstring.

Apart from the fact that he got injured, no Townsend is a big positive for me. Means better players can get a chance to make an impression.
You and J the G should get a room. Obsession. AT was our spark tonight and in most of our games this season.

If Dawson, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Sandro or Paulinho had been available we would have won for sure. But Chiriches really struggled against the high balls and there was no defensive midfielder to protect the defence. I know Sherwood wanted to make a point of going 4-4-2 to be different to AVB and stake his claim, but to play with two direct wingers and two attacking central midfielders in that formation was a very bad idea. I said at the start of the game that that starting lineup was a big insult to West Ham.

Adebayor looked good, but the biggest positive for me was that, for the first time since the Harry era, when one of our players passed the ball they would, you know, keep running forward to find space for a return pass. Make no mistake, tonight was ****, but we were limited in the personnel we could select and it was a BIG step forward from some of the home performances under AVB this season, one of which I'll remind you all was against this opposition in which we scored less goals and conceded more than we did tonight.

Suppose so.

But there is something lacking. We fell to pieces at the end.

I am getting the right hump with Lloris.

I cannot remember the last time I was this angry
Oddly, I was thinking the positive is I don't appear to give much of a **** anymore. Just lost a quarter final against a team of total ****e, and it's all a bit meh.

No more Daniel Amokachi making me a bit teary eyed.

Progress, thanks Levy.

We don't have to play a two legged semi final against Emirates Marketing Project that we would certainly lose.

At least no one can say it's the foreigners fault.

First time since 2008 it feels pretty despondent again at the Lane. I just can't believe how it's happened. We'll be ok, we are no way near as bad as we look right now

uuurgh watched the highlights....didnt know the result.....cant believe we have lost to them again....oh well!!!!!!!! great

struggling to be positive now er ade scored....we had shots on target.....

uuurgh watched the highlights....didnt know the result.....cant believe we have lost to them again....oh well!!!!!!!! great

struggling to be positive now er ade scored....we had shots on target.....

How did it look on the highlights. I was at the game and I don't really want to watch it again. But was it as bad as I feel?

How did it look on the highlights. I was at the game and I don't really want to watch it again. But was it as bad as I feel?
The BBC highlights were very short, couldn't tell much, beyond that we couldn't cope with the Spammers long ball game. Good job they don't care about the way they play.

You and J the G should get a room. Obsession. AT was our spark tonight and in most of our games this season.

I'm on the fence with AT, certainly has ability but he s looking more like a low level prem player to me.
That said, we have been so disjointed this season I think a lot of players have suffered.

Townsend was rect tonight but his decision making frustrated me, I felt there were too many times where he tried a step over or stopped play when a cross, pass or run would have been effective.
He needs to be coached to use his ability incisively IMHO.

I'm on the fence with AT, certainly has ability but he s looking more like a low level prem player to me.
That said, we have been so disjointed this season I think a lot of players have suffered.

Townsend was rect tonight but his decision making frustrated me, I felt there were too many times where he tried a step over or stopped play when a cross, pass or run would have been effective.
He needs to be coached to use his ability incisively IMHO.

This is my issue with him.

He has all the raw ingredients to be a good player, but he just never uses them properly. Much like Walcott for most of his career.

Back