• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Positives from today's game...

these threads are pointless, its always one step forward, two steps back for this club, and positives dont pay the rent

We pretty much went toe to toe with City and didn't look out classed up until the red card and pen. Away from home against City that is a pretty big positive and the only difference for me was a certain Kun Aguero.

There was a pile of own goals at the weekend and none of them was us! Surely must be some kind if record.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

We pretty much went toe to toe with City and didn't look out classed up until the red card and pen. Away from home against City that is a pretty big positive and the only difference for me was a certain Kun Aguero.

Spot on.

Go back to after the Liverpool game, or before the Arsenal game and suggest that we would do that and lose and most of the most negative posters on here would probably have thought you crazy.

Spot on.

Go back to after the Liverpool game, or before the Arsenal game and suggest that we would do that and lose and most of the most negative posters on here would probably have thought you crazy.

Quite a few go into every game saying we'll play **** and lose though. ;)

these threads are pointless, its always one step forward, two steps back for this club, and positives dont pay the rent

These threads are far from pointless. If you don't like this kind of thread I would suggest quite simply not reading or posting in it.

We're two points off 4th after 8 games, we're essentially there or thereabouts. That's after the first 8 league games Poch has had at the club. Talking about "paying the rent", unlike this thread, is pointless.

I will say for all the doom and gloom we really went toe to toe with Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool until we had some refereeing decisions go against us. Also we are only two points off 4th and we have already played two of our toughest fixtures of the season @**** @Emirates Marketing Project

Look at United for instance just a few points ahead of us have yet to play Pool, Emirates Marketing Project, Cheslki, **** or us and with the look of their defence could be some ugly results coming for them.

I will say for all the doom and gloom we really went toe to toe with Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool until we had some refereeing decisions go against us. Also we are only two points off 4th and we have already played two of our toughest fixtures of the season @**** @Emirates Marketing Project

Look at United for instance just a few points ahead of us have yet to play Pool, Emirates Marketing Project, Cheslki, **** or us and with the look of their defence could be some ugly results coming for them.

Agree fully. If not for my long years at glory-glory I would be shocked about the negativity coming from some right now...

Two points off 4th as you say. Our fixture list might not have been super hard in the first 8, but it certainly hasn't been easy either. Two teams likely to be in the top four, another top four challenger. Two of those games away. Two teams (West Ham and Southampton) that have started really well (3rd and 4th respectively). 3 teams currently in the bottom half. It's at least as tough a fixture list as one should expect to get, I would argue slightly tougher than average. And we're fairly close to where we want to be. Without really getting anything we didn't deserve. And that's at the start of Poch's reign during what's pretty obviously a tumultuous period.

And people have a go at positivity...

Agree fully. If not for my long years at glory-glory I would be shocked about the negativity coming from some right now...

Two points off 4th as you say. Our fixture list might not have been super hard in the first 8, but it certainly hasn't been easy either. Two teams likely to be in the top four, another top four challenger. Two of those games away. Two teams (West Ham and Southampton) that have started really well (3rd and 4th respectively). 3 teams currently in the bottom half. It's at least as tough a fixture list as one should expect to get, I would argue slightly tougher than average. And we're fairly close to where we want to be. Without really getting anything we didn't deserve. And that's at the start of Poch's reign during what's pretty obviously a tumultuous period.

And people have a go at positivity...

Well ultimately the only stinker so far was against West Brom at home:

* West Ham (A) won a local derby away at an Upton Park that has been a tough place for teams to go this season, playing most of the match with 10 men.
* QPR (H) ok, they aren't great, but we spannered them good an proper in a style we haven't been able to do to even the most pony teams since Redknapp left.
* Liverpool (H) bossed the game in terms of general play, but good picked off on the break. We were pushing until they got their 2nd. 3-0 a harsh score-line.
* Sunderland (A) luck just was not with us. I mean they managed to draw 2-2 scoring 2 goals, despite only having 1 shot in the entire match. I think that tells you everything you need to know. We should have won and deserved to win having completely dominated the game start to finish. We didn't win. Such is life.
* WBA (H) played crap got what we deserved.
* Arsenal (A) ground out a solid point and probably could have nicked a win had our final ball been better on the break.
* Southampton (H) good performance against a strong side, got the win, worked hard, pressed well, played well, what's not to like?
* Emirates Marketing Project (A) Open game by two good attacking sides. Aguero was the difference. He's world class. People complain about our defence, but i'd honestly like to see a defence that is going to look comfortable when up against this guy in the form he showed. He was the difference, but we were right in the game and had Soldado tucked away the pen, we would have been 2-2 and pushing for a winner in my opinion. There was very little between the sides up until the pen/red card. After that we're 2 goals down and down to 10 men, the 4th put a very flattering gloss on the score for City.

We have played some tough fixtures so far and to say we have 7 points from WHam away, Southampton home, City away, Liverpool home, Arsenal away i do not think you can argue with that even if the points did not arrive quite the way some might have expected (most would probably have been thinking draw home to pool and loss away at scumirates)

WBA is the one real dissapointment so far from this season performance wise.

I guess one positive is that assuming Poch is in possession of a set of working eyes and a working brain Ade will never start for us again.

I guess one positive is that assuming Poch is in possession of a set of working eyes and a working brain Ade will never start for us again.

I like adebayor in the right system he will score goals. I think we have and I hope poch has seen that he doesn't fit this system.

Other then the goal which was a good header he offered nothing! If we play with inverted wingers he's got to create space for them to run into, drop deep got out wide. He's just so static

I dont actually know how he got to start the match today. If you score a hat-trick and still dont get a start in your next match I really dont know what a person has to do?

The real positive is that slowly the penny is starting to drop on our squad and just how bad last summer was in terms of sending the club back 5 years.

We need to get rid of naughton, kaboul, vertonghen, (probably fazio as well as he is too slow for EPL), chiriches, Lennon, Townsend capoue paulinho Ade and soldado.

How the hell do you do that in a season? So many average players and 'bad eggs' in that sode

The real positive is that slowly the penny is starting to drop on our squad and just how bad last summer was in terms of sending the club back 5 years.

We need to get rid of naughton, kaboul, vertonghen, (probably fazio as well as he is too slow for EPL), chiriches, Lennon, Townsend capoue paulinho Ade and soldado.

How the hell do you do that in a season? So many average players and 'bad eggs' in that sode

Why bother if you have the same recruiting team in charge, we'll just buy more of the same.

Why bother if you have the same recruiting team in charge, we'll just buy more of the same.

We have to put out a team somehow. We don't stand a chance with the very best, so we have to speculate. If we're able to get at least one or two successes each summer (by that I mean Lloris, Eriksen etc.) we're doing well. Walker and Rose came in cheap because they were unproven. The type of targets we have need a season or two or even more to fulfill their potential, but are expected to be instant hits. We are lacking a couple of experienced leaders right now, but signing young talent got us success in the not too distant past and it's the only way we stand a chance going forward.

We are paying for our coaches not applying some decent tactics for quite some time now. We have relied on brilliant individuals like Berbatov, Modric, Bale. This trend goes back to pre-PL times.

People are drawing comparisons between yesterday's one goal defeat against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and the one goal defeat against WBA earlier this season. People are also comparing our 3-0 loss at home to Liverpool with our 4-1 loss away to City. But I think there are some positive trends even in these very disappointing results.

First the WBA and Saudi Sportswashing Machine games:

Stats vs WBA: We had 7 shots in total, 1 on target, against their 10 and 4. We had 61% possession, but created very little.

Stats vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine: We had 17 shots in total, 2 on target, against their 8 and 2. We had 63% possession, didn't create a ton, but did create some chances.

Although similar in terms of results I think there's a big difference in the performance and "feel" of the game. I remember being disappointed against WBA because we deserved to lose. After the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game I'm disappointed that we lost when we were so superior in the first half and that we were let down by a couple of individual mistakes. I think there's a positive development in terms of how we play, both games were big disappointments, but the problems were not the same.

Then the games against the bigger clubs, Liverpool, City and I'll include Arsenal:

Can't be bothered to look up stats, but the feel I remember from the Liverpool game was that we were outright beaten by a much better team on the day. It was disappointing to be so much worse than Liverpool.

That wasn't the case against Arsenal, where we got a point and performed well away from home.

The City game was also very different from the Liverpool game. Disappointing to lose after playing quite well, being in the game up until the red card and penalty.

Again I think there's a development and a trend that's positive, despite the disappointing results. And going forward, if we keep improving our performances then the results will follow (eventually).

Agree with your outlook braneclipse - the outcome may have been the same in those games (0 points, 1 in the Arsenal game) but the performances or 'feel' as you put it went from being outplayed and deservedly losing to being on the recieving end of a kick in the teeth where the result flattered our opponents.

Back