• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poor league results

Yes but thats my point you cant - not when the strength of the same teams are variable year on year, aswell as other factors and the strengths of Spurs themselves might not be as great. Each season is very different, and I dont see how having more/less points than last season accounts for anything, league position for current season is far more telling....

I'm the opposite. League position depends on other sides, you can win the league with anything from 75 to 95 points. We were better last season than Leicester were when they won the league. The number of points can tell us if we've improved or at least kept pace with the rest or even declined. Some teams improve and others get worse. It's not about comparing individual results, but the overall trend. I wouldn't say West Brom and Swansea are better this season compared to last, the problem has been us.

I think what @markysimmo is saying is....we are in the same position (points) last year as this BUT wasn't moaning about a crisis.

I'd have to check though as maybe we were moaning after drawing a bunch?!

Edit:When Toby got injured (coincidence with this season?) in mid October we went a bit flat drew a few and lost a couple until we beat Hull 3-0. I think style wise we had gone flat then.

We cant do anything about how other teams strengthen, except buy players they want, and we cant even do that.

I am slighty worried as last season we had some real runs of decent results that gave us serious momentum, and i just can't see that this season, with Wembley and stronger opposition being the main reasons.

Last season we won 6 on the bounce after the Hull win and won (no draws) 12 out of the last 13. I just don't see that happening this season. We're be doing well to get in the 70's points wise imo.

We've basically lost 3 away games to Man u, Arse, and Leicester.....3 viable teams. The draw to West Brom certainly isnt good enough. But i don't see any bad signals and as Toby, Victor and Lamela get back on it we'll have the depth, and strength, to start knocking teams over.
Yes and the point Im making is that being in the same points position as last season doesnt matter one bit, unless every other team is also in the same points position as last year.

But anyway, Toby is massively affecting things. Pay him the money and get him signed up.....

I'm the opposite. League position depends on other sides, you can win the league with anything from 75 to 95 points. We were better last season than Leicester were when they won the league. The number of points can tell us if we've improved or at least kept pace with the rest or even declined. Some teams improve and others get worse. It's not about comparing individual results, but the overall trend. I wouldn't say West Brom and Swansea are better this season compared to last, the problem has been us.
Just cant agree mate, looking at last seasons results does zero for me but respect your views.....

Should a club in our position continually improve year on year without setbacks along the way? Should we expect improvement month on month or week on week without fail - is there no allowance for a bit of dip?
From some there isn’t. And once the emotion has subsided it’s important a to remember that we are, and have been, apart from our current (temporary) league position, punching well above our weight. Considering the financial disadvantages we are doing brilliantly. We shall see how the rest of the season pans out though...

Poor league results?

The exact same results as this time last year. And we finished 2nd at the end of the season

We have 7 points from the last 6 games. 30 November 2016 we had 7 points from the last 6 games

And if you go back to 11 games its 20 points from 11 games. 30 November 2016 we had 20 points from the last 11 games

rmK6eRm.png

LUrPdDD.png

From some there isn’t. And once the emotion has subsided it’s important a to remember that we are, and have been, apart from our current (temporary) league position, punching well above our weight. Considering the financial disadvantages we are doing brilliantly. We shall see how the rest of the season pans out though...

Agreed

There is also a huge reaction to other teams results which is natural but such short too

Arse are having a great run by their recent standards but will they keep that going all season... dont forget they got spanked by Watford
Pool are having a good run compared to 4 weeks ago after we murdered them yet suddenly were inferior...
Chelsea have lost some games this season that you couldn't see happening and were lucky last night but again are they miles ahead...

We do punch above our weight in monitary terms but not in quality of players

were having a blip but its more than recoverable and were more than good enough too to do that

Id be concerned if thsi was happening in April but much less so for now, as long as we rectify it asap which im sure we will

Poor league results?

The exact same results as this time last year. And we finished 2nd at the end of the season

We have 7 points from the last 6 games. 30 November 2016 we had 7 points from the last 6 games

And if you go back to 11 games its 20 points from 11 games. 30 November 2016 we had 20 points from the last 11 games

rmK6eRm.png

LUrPdDD.png

Stop it! You're ruining the doomsday narrative! :p

Poor league results?

rmK6eRm.png

LUrPdDD.png
This post offers a hopeful perspective. Would be amazing if we can go on a similar run from December this time round but that was unreal, so it's probably asking too much. I suspect most of us now will be satisfied (not to say relieved) if we can just recover enough to sneak back into the top four, ideally at the expense of that lot from Woolwich.

Not sure where we were regarding injuries at the end of November 2016 but certainly over the coming weeks we have several key players - Rose, Lamela, Wanyama and Alderweireld - all either working their way back or due to come back from long-term injury, so hopefully this will help get us right back on track.

Moving to Wembley and selling Walker to ManCity looks like among the worst decisions in our history now. We were unbeatable at home last season and the move to Wembley has destroyed our good home form. Selling any of your players to your direct rival is stupid. Walker has instantly improved the ManCity attacks. The 50m they paid for Walker looks like a real bargain now.

Moving to Wembley and selling Walker to ManCity looks like among the worst decisions in our history now. We were unbeatable at home last season and the move to Wembley has destroyed our good home form. Selling any of your players to your direct rival is stupid. Walker has instantly improved the ManCity attacks. The 50m they paid for Walker looks like a real bargain now.

What was the alternative to moving to Wembley? We need a new ground to compete long-term so we took the best option available.

Walker is more debatable, but I’m not sure we had tons of options there either. He clearly wanted a move up north and, as we know, the players hold all the cards nowadays.

What was the alternative to moving to Wembley? We need a new ground to compete long-term so we took the best option available.

Walker is more debatable, but I’m not sure we had tons of options there either. He clearly wanted a move up north and, as we know, the players hold all the cards nowadays.

Saved me having to type all that!
Walker I agree wanted out..
Wembley sadly is proving to be a total pain many thought it might be, I though think we have done better In Europe than even WHL
I think the Wembley experience may prove useful when move to the next "new" venue, because it will be once again different.

Poor league results?

rmK6eRm.png

LUrPdDD.png
As I said above we ended up going on incredible runs (winning runs with no draws) after the Man U loss.
Post the rest of last season's schedule and see what we have to live up to, especially as our home games are all at Wembley.

We clocked up 59pts out of 69 in the last 23 games....that's title winning form.

I'm not saying we can't do it, just that it was exceptional stuff.....and made up for a bunch of 'average' results in October/November just like we need to do now.

Overall im not too bothered, my expectations are not that high this season. If we get top 4 great. Poch has plenty of credit in the bank with me, so I'll back him thru anything.

Back