• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: last 4 games: Defoe or Adebayor? Or both?

For the last 4 games who should start in our attack?

• Defoe (1 up)

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Adebayor (1 up)

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Both Defoe and Adebayor

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As much as I like AVB, I really can't see the scenario where he says to Bale "hey Gareth, have you thought about striking the ball this way?"

can you not imagine a scenario where the manager thinks to himself that if he plays Bale in a certain role or that if he sets the team up in a certain way it would get the best out of him? is that not the managers job to get the best out of his players?

As much as I like AVB, I really can't see the scenario where he says to Bale "hey Gareth, have you thought about striking the ball this way?"

Why not? If a manager can come in and work on the defensive side of players' game, i.e positioning, tracking runners, showiung them on the inside etc etc, why not on their technique of striking a ball and also what to aim for in terms of the goalies positioning.

You make it sound esoteric:lol:

can you not imagine a scenario where the manager thinks to himself that if he plays Bale in a certain role or that if he sets the team up in a certain way it would get the best out of him? is that not the managers job to get the best out of his players?

Absolutely. This is what I said earlier. AVB deserves credit for how he is utilising Bale and getting the best out of him, but I think Bale's improved finishing is mainly due to Bale naturally improving as he gets older and more experienced.

Adebayor.

And this side

Lloris

Walker
Verts
Daws/Caulker
BAE

Lennon
Parker
Dembele
Bale

Dempsey

Ade

subs: Brad, JD, Holtby, Hudd, Carroll, Naughton and whichever of Daws/Caulker/Verts isn't starting

It's a side that can get the job done and it's also a side which allows for good impact subs if we need another angle or three...

I will say that it's harsh on JD, but if he isn't going to move smartly then he needs to snaffle chances and yesterday he did not do anything with his two half-chances and one decent one!

COYS!

People are simply saying Ade is in poorer form compared to Defoe

Whereas you never fail to mention him in a negative light

But isn't it about looking at the context of how they're each being deployed when they play versus how they affect the entire team? JD is a striker. Full-stop. Love him but he is not specifically the man to lead the line unless a) Sandro is in there, b) Hudd is in there to find him and c) we don't play Scotty as with Hudd and Dembele in, we need more pace in the engine room. If you have Bale and Lennon, Ade is a the perfect part of the trio because his movement/drop-off allows them to come in, find holes and set things up for themselves or others IMO...

Those defending Ade seem to be convincing themselves that he's playing like the Ade of last season ... he's not. His movement is crap, his control is crap, his finishing is crap. He's just been a complete disasaster all season.

Those defending Ade seem to be convincing themselves that he's playing like the Ade of last season ... he's not. His movement is crap, his control is crap, his finishing is crap. He's just been a complete disasaster all season.

no, they just think Adebayor playing badly brings more to the team than Defoe playing badly

Depends on the opposition.
Stick with one up front though to help the team maintain some element of shape.
Prefer the option of Defoe off the bench ahead of Ade.
Lennon fitness is also a factor, if he is not available then Defoe is crucial to give us that bit of pace.

I rate both strikers, would rather be going into the last four games with them than without.

Lets turn it around - Who would the opposition least like to face out of Dempsey, Defoe and Adebayor?

The answer would be overwhelmingly be Defoe.

Ade is way off form and possibly finished . Dempsey is just not a classy player and very limited. Defoe can do it as he did against City. He allows Bale more freedom.

Dempsey is only likely to get a scrappy flukey goal or a tap in. Defoe could get those and more. No way Dempsey should play against Sotom ahead of Defoe.

Lets turn it around - Who would the opposition least like to face out of Dempsey, Defoe and Adebayor?

The answer would be overwhelmingly be Defoe.

Yeah, probably spot on Colin. The goal against City, after a bit of a spell out, speaks volumes for his quality and what he can do, "on form" or not.

I think, on balance, they will both have vital roles to play. Right now, for me Ade does the water carrying and JD comes on as impact sub...

most impressive game to me was Emirates Marketing Project.

Ade first, then Defoe, supported by Holtby and Thudd. Will leave it you to imagine how the rest falls in.

Doesn't he need to control the ball first to do that?

People seem to be ignoring his hold up play recently. Against City in the first half he managed to hold it up a number of times; it wasnt particularly convincing, but he at least kept the ball. Adebayor's sheer physicality means that he's gonna be better than Defoe at this, even when his touch is off, and this stops teams being able to pin us back.

The players that people have mentioned as having the ability to feed Defoe [Huddlestone, i think Holtby as well] arent really up to starting games with the way the team is set up at the moment. It's a myth that Defoe can "always grab you a goal" - its been proved on many occasions that he can be completely marked out of a game, or the rest of the team play to his weaknesses rather than strengths. I think we can get by using Ade from the start, as long as Dempsey is nowhere near him.

Back