• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

I know that’s what they all say. I don’t buy that. Both Davies and Raab has the chance to deliver something but failed. Then foreseeing all the compromises made, and how it would not be Brexit as promised, who’d wish to stick around and be the guy that delivered a poor deal?

I don’t think it is a poor deal. It’s the best we could have possibly hoped for. In a negotiating sense it’s a decent deal. A ‘cake and eat it’ deal would have brought down the EU - it was never on the cards. Yet this isn’t a good outcome for the uk. It was never going to be.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The deal we needed was 'level playing field' only applying to the 6.6% of goods that are exported to the EU, not the 85% for domestic consumption or the 8.4% for RoW.

6.6% of our economy will now dictate that we can't nationalise industries, end PPIs, introduce flexible VAT to incentivise green behaviour etc.

Worse than this gal?

bob-cartoon-29062018_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqiUuvBizZT2q34Osm0tNw86nurJycJ7-Mc9_VAPSViI.jpg

Yes. The only compelling argument that Brexiters have. Is that Blair supports and in fact is working toward a second referendum.

Yes. The only compelling argument that Brexiters have. Is that Blair supports and in fact is working toward a second referendum.

I think it’s more about having someone - obviously not Blair but in his mould - who is not afraid to put in place a plan for this mess and crucially outline the logic for it, taking the media and as many people with as possible.

At the moment we have a government who if you ask them: will Brexit provide a better setup for the UK, better than now? They can’t give a straight answer. Because they know it won’t be.

Rather than show leadership and communicate what is best, they prefer to compromise and deliver the least bad Brexit. To me that’s flawed.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Full letter from McVey

Dear Prime Minister,

There is no more important task for this government than delivering on the United Kingdom's decision to leave the European Union. This is a matter of trust. It is about the future of our country and the integrity of our democracy.

The deal you put before the cabinet yesterday does not honour the result of the referendum. Indeed, it doesn't meet the tests you set from the outset of your premiership.

Repeatedly you have said that we must regain control of our money, our borders and our laws and develop our own independent trade policy. I have always supported you to deliver on those objectives.

Even after Chequers when you knew I shared the concerns of a very significant number of colleagues, I believed that we could still work collectively to honour the will of the British people and secure the right outcome for the future of our country. This deal fails to do this.

The proposals put before cabinet, which will soon be judged by the entire country, means handing over around £39bn to the EU without anything in return. It will trap us in a customs union, despite you specifically promising the British people we would not be.

It will bind the hands of not only this, but future governments in pursuing genuine free trade policies. We wouldn't be taking back control, we would be handing over control to the EU and even to a third country for arbitration.

It also threatens the integrity of the United Kingdom, which as a Unionist is a risk I cannot be party to.

The British people have always been ahead of politicians on this issue, and it will be no good trying to pretend to them that this deal honours the result of the referendum when it is obvious to everyone it doesn't.

We have gone from no deal is better than a bad deal, to any deal is better than no deal.

I cannot defend this, and I cannot vote for this deal. I could not look my constituents in the eye were I to do that. I therefore have no alternative but to resign from the government.

It has been a huge honour to serve as Secretary of State for Work & Pensions, and I am immensely proud of the part I have played in the record levels of employment we have seen in all parts of the UK.

Youth unemployment has halved since 2010, and we now have record number of women and BAME in work and since 2013, 973,000 more disabled people in work.

With employment over 3.3 million more than in 2010 we have helped 1,000 more people into work each and every day since we took office.

I am extremely grateful to you for appointing me to the role, and for the support you have given to me, not least in the run up to the budget, ensuring Universal Credit got a much needed injection of £4.5bn. That has made my decision a greater wrench.

However, in politics you have to be true to the public and also true to yourself. Had I stayed in the government and supported this deal with the EU I wouldn't be doing that.

Yours sincerely,

Esther McVey

More to follow, you think?

Makes me wonder why the cabinet signed it off if they are dropping like flies the next day. Self preservation maybe?

It needs to be one of Jarvid or Hunt - that would bring her down, as they are the obvious successors

Cabinet is bound by collective responsibility. Other than literally walking out of the meeting (like Heseltine once did), if it was a majority decision, this is the only way to do it

Theresa May, greeted by shouts of "resign" from some MPs, begins by saying that Brexit will involve "difficult choices".

She tells MPs that the draft withdrawal agreement concluded yesterday is “not the final deal”, but a "draft treaty".

She says the draft political declaration will lead to a more "ambitious" trade deal than the EU currently has with "any other country".

She says she will "not pretend that this has been a "comfortable process", or that the UK or the EU is "entirely happy" with the backstop proposal for Northern Ireland.

However she says there is no Brexit deal that delivers the Brexit "the British people voted for" that does not include this insurance policy.

Theresa May says the EU will not negotiate any future partnership without a draft agreement on the divorce.

There is a "new UK-wide temporary customs arrangement", as well as an option of a "time-limited implementation period" as an "alternative to the backstop".

The agreement commits both parties to use "best endeavours to ensure that the insurance policy is never used", she adds.

The agreement has ensured that Northern Ireland businesses will still get full access to the UK single market, she states.

There are some who say she should "rip up" the commitment to the backstop but this, she says, would be "irresponsible".

"I have a responsibility to people in every part of our country and I intend to honour that," she says.

"The declaration will end free movement once and for all," which will mean a UK immigration system based on what people "can contribute to the UK", she adds.

Back