• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

It's not possible. The minute a government moves a fraction away from fast track globalisation, they are in the European courts and being threatened with sanctions

I agree people don't change their mind. Positions change basically when old views die out. But it's actually Eurosceptism that has been on a steady rise for the past 25 years, so there's more likelihood that those who fondly remember the EU as Harold Wilson's saviour will continue to grow fewer and fewer

Bearing in mind the dogmatic approach by prominent brexiteers in govt and what we are seeing in the US Republican Party, is it possible that Putin has undue influence in the commons too?

Bearing in mind the dogmatic approach by prominent brexiteers in govt and what we are seeing in the US Republican Party, is it possible that Putin has undue influence in the commons too?

I would like to see an investigation into all commons Brexiteers

I want to hear the people that have changed their mind make some noise.
You think you got it wrong? Try and put it "right".

I have no sympathy, all the information was available if you bothered to look and analyse rather than just believing what you were told.

Rats jumping ship as Brexit starts to sink... But why couldn't they see the obvious from the get go? As there is one unholy mess to clean up now. And how do you clean it up politically? Get some kind of deal with the EU and have a stupid vote X 2 for formality? The whole charade is and has been a nonsense since the start. Must have cost the UK billions in lost investment, and industry like Landrover moving etc.

Lets hope there is a simple exit to the exit. If so the UK won't suffer too much.

Landrover were going to leave anyway.

Honestly think the issue is the EU being so controlling in their ideals. Why not let countries do trade deals with countries outside of the EU as long as they adhered to the rules and standards set by the EU when dealing with other EU countries. Why not show understanding to individual countries who might be struggling with record levels of immigration and let them decide how many people they take.

If the EU carries acting like dictators then they will store more problems up for itself in the future. It needs to show more understanding, if it does not, then it will push countries like Hungray closer to Putin who will make in roads into Europe again. The issue is the EU, it can be a project for good that someone like me would get behind.

If it was the trading block that we signed up for in the beginning then you know what someone like me and I guess a lot of other Brits would think maybe we can put some money or military into a common defence unit to protect the interests of the block.

But this ever closer union thing just wont play and is going to cause problems, the issue is with Brussels if people can not see that then they can not see the issues that will be coming soon.

I want to hear the people that have changed their mind make some noise.
You think you got it wrong? Try and put it "right".

I have no sympathy, all the information was available if you bothered to look and analyse rather than just believing what you were told.

I never did believe everything I was told which is why I did not believe the would be no food on the shelves in the supermarket or a run on the banks in the days and weeks after we voted out as Cameron and Osborne said. So i to would like to hear from the people that were wrong about that.

I never did believe everything I was told which is why I did not believe the would be no food on the shelves in the supermarket or a run on the banks in the days and weeks after we voted out as Cameron and Osborne said. So i to would like to hear from the people that were wrong about that.
I take your point, but it is somewhat moot.
Economic forecasts, by its very nature as social science, will get some predictions wrong.
The cliff edge examples you give are at an extreme, in the same the "negotiations are easy and we'll get whatever" predictions are.

It's the middle ground (IE reality) that is important, and most of issues that have been encountered so far were clear and available to know to anyone with a decent understanding of UK and world politics and project management.

The latest edition of the Disinformation Age podcast takes a look at the moggumentum and freetommy hashtags, as well as there being a large crossover there are also a high percentage of bot accounts using the hashtags. Whose bots we don't know.

Reactions: DTA
I take your point, but it is somewhat moot.
Economic forecasts, by its very nature as social science, will get some predictions wrong.
The cliff edge examples you give are at an extreme, in the same the "negotiations are easy and we'll get whatever" predictions are.

It's the middle ground (IE reality) that is important, and most of issues that have been encountered so far were clear and available to know to anyone with a decent understanding of UK and world politics and project management.

I've linked to this before but this is very good on that

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/weather-is-not-climate-forecasting-the-impacts-of-brexit/

Landrover were going to leave anyway.

Honestly think the issue is the EU being so controlling in their ideals. Why not let countries do trade deals with countries outside of the EU as long as they adhered to the rules and standards set by the EU when dealing with other EU countries. Why not show understanding to individual countries who might be struggling with record levels of immigration and let them decide how many people they take.

If the EU carries acting like dictators then they will store more problems up for itself in the future. It needs to show more understanding, if it does not, then it will push countries like Hungray closer to Putin who will make in roads into Europe again. The issue is the EU, it can be a project for good that someone like me would get behind.

If it was the trading block that we signed up for in the beginning then you know what someone like me and I guess a lot of other Brits would think maybe we can put some money or military into a common defence unit to protect the interests of the block.

But this ever closer union thing just wont play and is going to cause problems, the issue is with Brussels if people can not see that then they can not see the issues that will be coming soon.

In fairness there is quite a bit of that I agree with. So if the EU did make some changes along the lines of what you mentioned would you consider remaining?

Apart from independent trade deals as that undermines the single market which is it main asset and source of power... As is the case with US single market or China's single market

Last edited:
In fairness there is quite a bit of that I agree with. So if the EU did make some changes along the lines of what you mentioned would you consider remaining?

It's wont happen though. Britain has been failing to get the EU to change for 25 years.

The best thing would be to dissolve it and start again with something completely new - like happened with the League of Nations and the UN. Basically a trading arrangement and international relations co-operation by something like the European Council. But no Commission, Parliament or political integration. That might be something worth joining

It's wont happen though. Britain has been failing to get the EU to change for 25 years.

The best thing would be to dissolve it and start again with something completely new - like happened with the League of Nations and the UN. Basically a trading arrangement and international relations co-operation by something like the European Council. But no Commission, Parliament or political integration. That might be something worth joining
Britain championed expansion, the EU expanded, we got it to change plenty.

Reactions: DTA
Well he cant be wrong about Brexit because it is the civil servants who are destroying brexit so everything Mogg has said has actually been proven to be true and he can not be responsible for people who to jobs to govern and implement government but then decide to do the opposite.

Mr average. I think not!

Career
After graduating from the University of Oxford in 1991, Rees-Mogg worked for the Rothschild investment bankunder Nils Taube before moving to Hong Kong in 1993[26] to join Lloyd George Management.[27][28] During his tenure in Hong Kong, he became a close friend with Governor Chris Patten and was a regular at Government House. Three years later, he returned to London and was put in charge of some of the firm’s emerging markets funds and by 2003, was managing a newly established Lloyd George Emerging Markets Fund.[29] In 2007, he left the company with a number of colleagues to set up their own fund management firm, Somerset Capital Management,[30] with the aid of hedge fund manager Crispin Odey. Following Rees-Mogg's election as the Member of Parliament for North East Somerset, he stepped down as chief executive of the company; however, he continues to receive income in his capacity as a partner.[26] Somerset Capital Management is managed via subsidiaries in the tax havens of the Cayman Islands and Singapore. Rees-Mogg has defended offshore tax havens, and his vast wealth (£100,000,000+, with his wife, when she comes into her inheritance, as of November 2016)[31] has left him open to the criticism that he can not understand the lives and concerns of many ordinary people.[32] In 2018, Somerset Capital opened an investment fund in Dublin, citing Brexit as a cause of "considerable uncertainty" amid concerns about being cut off from European investors, and that Brexit “may increase costs or make it more difficult for the Icav to pursue its objectives”;[33] this is contrary to Rees-Mogg's public assurances about Brexit to the British public.

The countries had to abandoned their plans because of the threat of the European courts and economic sanctions. They couldn't even get that far because the threat is so potent

Back