• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

they'll come crawling back when all those BMW's and Mercedes start to collect dust in Berlin, just as dynamic Dave predicted

Reactions: DTA
Its dead simple, we agree to recognise each, and periodically review standards. Really not that big a deal. You send me your documentation, what you expect of someone to get a licence etc, I see if its good enough for my liking.

Alternatively we simply go with the IDP, set it up online, its really not that big a deal.

But, as with most things, its being made into a bloody epic when it really need not be.

They have deliberately boxed us into options we do not want, which will compromise us. Just as they have taken advantage of weak leadership on our side. (and yes, great defenders of the EU, I get it - all fair love and war and all that yawn).

And needlessly so. They have offered bespoke deals elsewhere, compromised elsewhere, but simply wont entertain it with us.

Yet, strangely, being so closely aligned and already integrated - we would be the ones they really should look to work closely with.

But, of course, they are petty and punitive, and so would rather punish us than make a deal that suits all parties.

You know what mate I don't blame them. Britain has for a long time displayed a high handed attitude towards its European partners. Even when we were part of the Union we were never fully committed to it; always trying to wrest this or that concession; always wanting to be made a special case and we still want that now even after we have rejected membership. I can imagine that the EU are just tired of us and consequently have entrenched their position in the negotiations.

I have to admit that I am not fully au fair with the various trade options available should there be no deal. But I can't help wondering if we can't seal a deal with our biggest trade partners how successful will we be negotiating all the other trade deals that are apparently available.

The only itk I have is that the Port Authorities are saying that as it stands, there will be chaos at the Ports on the day after we exit if no deal is in place and no one in Government appears to have a plan for a contingency.

You know what mate I don't blame them. Britain has for a long time displayed a high handed attitude towards its European partners. Even when we were part of the Union we were never fully committed to it; always trying to wrest this or that concession; always wanting to be made a special case and we still want that now even after we have rejected membership. I can imagine that the EU are just tired of us and consequently have entrenched their position in the negotiations.

That sort of sums up the last 40 years. Our political masters turned us into reluctant lodgers, when we'd rather be friendly neighbours.

Britain and the EU have never been compatible - Brexit has been inevitable since the Maastricht Treaty. It was an ill-fated marriage from the start

I have to admit that I am not fully au fair with the various trade options available should there be no deal. But I can't help wondering if we can't seal a deal with our biggest trade partners how successful will we be negotiating all the other trade deals that are apparently available.

The only itk I have is that the Port Authorities are saying that as it stands, there will be chaos at the Ports on the day after we exit if no deal is in place and no one in Government appears to have a plan for a contingency.

We signed up to a trade agreement, and ended up in a political one. While, all along, all we wanted was the trade agreement. Its all we want now.

I appreciate we have never been fully on board, but I dont appreciate the EUs attitude to us.

Essentially, they are being really rather petty about it, a bloc of 27 countries, with much to gain and lose acting like a jilted lover. Seems pretty pathetic to me.

If you think about it, they really should want things to work out for the best for all. We are one of only a few net contributors, and thats just on contribution. There will be plenty of business in the EU that would suffer without our purchasing as well.

Simply screwing us down so hard we end up telling them where to go is shooting themselves in the foot.

A little give here, a little take there, some compromise all round - and everyone can be a winner. Yet they choose not to.

Last edited:
We signed up to a trade agreement, and ended up in a political one. While, all along, all we wanted was the trade agreement. Its all we want now.

I appreciate we have never been fully on board, but I dont appreciate the EUs attitude to us.

Essentially, they are being really rather petty about it, a bloc of 27 countries, with much to gain and lose acting like a jilted lover. Seems pretty pathetic to me.

If you think about it, they really should want things to work out for the best for all. We are one of only a few net contributors, and thats just on contribution. There will be plenty of business in the EU that would suffer without our purchasing as well.

Simply screwing us down so hard we end up telling them where to go is shooting themselves in the foot.

A little give here, a little take there, some compromise all round - and everyone can be a winner. Yet they choose not to.

Dude what you talking about? You are complaining because the EU is better at negotiations then we are... Principally because they are in a much stronger position and always were.

But this is not news, this is what we (remainers) have been saying all along. But we were told, 'that's project fear' 'they need us more than we need them' 'will be the easiest negotiations in history'

All complete an utter flimflam. But instead of Brexiteers Manning up and saying 'you know what we were wrong.'

We now get lines such as ' the EU are being jolly mean" 'why can't they negotiate properly'

Dude we are not equals with the EU we were always going to get a deal that is worse than what we have because they are the much much bigger partner it's that fudging simple... Why don't the Brexiteers get that?

Likewise if we do a deal with the US we will get bent over again. But those fudgers won't even use Lube :)

But here's the thing. The EU market is very lucrative and important to the UK. We want to be part of their trade bloc with the least transition from what we currently have.

I suspect in Government and the civil service there is very little experience of putting together trade deals. Is it realistic to think we can sign any trade deal where we get better terms than our partner (s)? Do we think Britain is so important on the world stage that we will be able to rock up and give our terms without meeting the other side halfway?

In this case, they are looking to trade with 1 state whilst we are wanting to trade with 27. Trade with the EU is unfortunately more important to us than the other way around. Ergo they hold more cards than we do; even meeting them halfway is not enough.

Some sovereignty would have to be given up to deal with any trading partner especially a large trading bloc who hold more cards than we do.

Freedom to the British isles and people of it.

Comrade Putin must be welcomed as he runs through eastern europe and heads to Berlin. May GHod bless his soul as he seeks out and destroys the imperialists in Brussels. Freedom will come at a price but freedom will come and Putin will free the people of Europe.

Freedom to the British isles and people of it.

Comrade Putin must be welcomed as he runs through eastern europe and heads to Berlin. May GHod bless his soul as he seeks out and destroys the imperialists in Brussels. Freedom will come at a price but freedom will come and Putin will free the people of Europe.
Nurse, nurse!!

im pretty drunk

i want a russian fluffy bunnies cuddling on my face
Who doesn't?

However, Russia is fudging democracy hard. They are changing our minds or trying to, for their own ends. And I don't like their ends. I honestly think we are on the precipice and are looking down into something quite different and dark. If the superpowers are all authoritarian where does that leave Europe?

For the record. I've also imbibed.

Reactions: DTA
Who doesn't?

However, Russia is fudging democracy hard. They are changing our minds or trying to, for their own ends. And I don't like their ends. I honestly think we are on the precipice and are looking down into something quite different and dark. If the superpowers are all authoritarian where does that leave Europe?

Now I want to get drunk as well so I can join in.

Who doesn't?

I think as long as the Russian fluffy bunnies like @Danishfurniturelover 's 'end' that's all that really matters to him.

This thread is worth reading. Roland Smith is the author of the Liberal Case for Leave

Rats jumping ship as Brexit starts to sink... But why couldn't they see the obvious from the get go? As there is one unholy mess to clean up now. And how do you clean it up politically? Get some kind of deal with the EU and have a stupid vote X 2 for formality? The whole charade is and has been a nonsense since the start. Must have cost the UK billions in lost investment, and industry like Landrover moving etc.

Lets hope there is a simple exit to the exit. If so the UK won't suffer too much.

Last edited:
Dan Dyer your new favorite personality :)

It is rare that people change their minds. Psychologists have found that doing so causes stress, people will rather argue out their beliefs regardless. Testament to the will of us humans. This is undoubtedly true of Remain as well - who are not able to see the Leave mentality and understand it. Mentally getting into the shoes of a bus driver who has competition from Polish workers and hasn't had a pay rise for x years etc etc.

But understanding other perspectives and all that is starting to become academic. We face economic decline and massive upheaval if there isn't a fast and effective resolution to our future trade relationship with the EU. This is real.

The kicker is the only solution that does not leave the UK worse off one way or another is to cancel Brexit. It is horribly simple. And those who want Brexit won't have a chance to be eased into it.

Previously I posted about a clever politician taking the themes of Brexit and integrating them into a plan of nation action - building on the desire for national change and the passions Brexit has thrown up. It could be exciting. It would have to tackle the thorny subject of immigration at least in rhetoric and focus on education, new UK initiatives. And the gov would have to be clear - we will be doing this from within the EU as we won't sacrifice jobs, and money spent on public services as both would be severely impacted otherwise. The UK will work closely with the more sceptical EU countries to make advancements to the EU that the UK wants. Blah blah. I can't see any other way. No one will be happy with a workable soft Brexit, so we need a clever politician to deliver a brexited themed Remain.

Back