• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

I can only imagine. And I would think maybe you can laugh now, but back then would have been a different story...

To be honest I've only ever lost it with one guy at work and hew was bloody wind up merchant.
All the people that worked for me were fine (to my face;) anyway).
I get on with vast majority of people in business and find humour in all situation helps any awkwards silence that can initially take place and coming from a recruitment/IT/leisure industry background covers most basis. The rest I can wing, even if they are Chelsea fans.

Who's asking for the government to support people? I'm just asking for a level playing field, a fair go and expecting the government to recognise the social contract. Governments that fail in this, run a tremendous risk in the long run. People have to have a stake in meeting the norms of society. If there is nothing in it for them, why should they conform?
How is taking half of everything I earn and giving it to people who didn't earn it a level playing field? That's precisely the opposite.

How is taking half of everything I earn and giving it to people who didn't earn it a level playing field? That's precisely the opposite.

If you don't want to pay tax, bugger off and go live on an island with no hospitals schools, roads, bridges, airports, docks and everything else that makes society function. Who said anything about taking 50% of everything you earn?

If you don't want to pay tax, bugger off and go live on an island with no hospitals schools, roads, bridges, airports, docks and everything else that makes society function.
I'll happily pay tax as long as what I'm paying is well spent, used efficiently and generates an overall good. I object, however, to having it tinkled away.

Who said anything about taking 50% of everything you earn?
HMRC.

I'll happily pay tax as long as what I'm paying is well spent, used efficiently and generates an overall good. I object, however, to having it tinkled away.

HMRC.
Yet you still vote Tory.
That is not meant as sarcasm (rare for mem I know!) or a dig.
But the way the Tories run public sector projects does tinkle money away. It is a system and set of rules set up to either fail (so public looks inefficient - let's go private) or deliver poor quality, passing the buck down the line for another Gov to spend properly and deliver quality (so the opposition looks frivolous).

Yet you still vote Tory.
That is not meant as sarcasm (rare for mem I know!) or a dig.
But the way the Tories run public sector projects does tinkle money away. It is a system and set of rules set up to either fail (so public looks inefficient - let's go private) or deliver poor quality, passing the buck down the line for another Gov to spend properly and deliver quality (so the opposition looks frivolous).
I didn't vote for this government, you can't put that on me.

I would vote for a Thatcherite Conservative government, I'd even vote for a Blairite Labour government if it didn't have a Gordon Brown in it.

This current government has no idea whatsoever how to Conservative. A Conservative government has three responsibilities; To provide for those who cannot (but not those who will not) provide for themselves, to keep taxation and spending low and to stay the fudge out of what is not their business (pretty much everything else). This government has completely failed at all of those measures. Unfortunately, when the only alternative is Communism, it's by far the least worst choice we have.

Education is the only answer.
Once went for a job at American Insurance back in the dawn of time. I'm dwarfed if you didn't know and the guy said and I kid you not, "we would give you the job you are more than qualified, but we are afraid people will trip over you! I didn't get the job :cool: .....that is typical....
Being disabled in the workplace is mentally soul destroying, it's why I started my on company and the rest as they say is retirement.....

That is outrageous, and of course illegal. Did it occur before 2010?

Maybe interesting what happens to the Equalities Act post Brexit. Not that I think Brexit will ultimately happen. But if it does, a number of civil rights laws could be undermined over the coming decades. We had the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) before the Equalities Act, and I think a lot of the EU law is actually built upon the DDA. In a few areas the UK has led the way with making reasonable adjustments to provide equal access to all - which makes sense economically as people enter the workplace, pay tax and don't claim benefits.

On a positive note, I think the atmosphere with employing people with disabilities has improved. With some tech companies actively looking for Autistic types, those who think differently, and those who can stay loyal and provide new perspectives. But shocking to hear your anecdote. I'm interested in your experiences as its an area I work in.

That is outrageous, and of course illegal. Did it occur before 2010?

Maybe interesting what happens to the Equalities Act post Brexit. Not that I think Brexit will ultimately happen. But if it does, a number of civil rights laws could be undermined over the coming decades. We had the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) before the Equalities Act, and I think a lot of the EU law is actually built upon the DDA. In a few areas the UK has led the way with making reasonable adjustments to provide equal access to all - which makes sense economically as people enter the workplace, pay tax and don't claim benefits.

On a positive note, I think the atmosphere with employing people with disabilities has improved. With some tech companies actively looking for Autistic types, those who think differently, and those who can stay loyal and provide new perspectives. But shocking to hear your anecdote. I'm interested in your experiences as its an area I work in.

It happened in 78/79 ish

Education is the only answer.
Once went for a job at American Insurance back in the dawn of time. I'm dwarfed if you didn't know and the guy said and I kid you not, "we would give you the job you are more than qualified, but we are afraid people will trip over you! I didn't get the job :cool: .....that is typical....
Being disabled in the workplace is mentally soul destroying, it's why I started my on company and the rest as they say is retirement.....

Disgusted to hear that, I even before I got sick and if you go far enough back in this thread you would see it have always thought disabled people were poorly treated in this country and it was never a case of because it might happen to me(though it now sort of is) I always thought as you said earlier it is more a case of you can tell a person by how he treats others less fortunate then himself.

Despite hating my mothers religious upbringing of me I guess some of it rubbed off on me. Now I am all for saying food tokens and nothing else for the lazy benefit cheating scum in this country and if they die off then great because we are an attractive place for immigration. But you should always help those who have been born with disabilities it is only humane, unless they are Arsenal fans in which case they can fcuk off and die.

Disgusted to hear that, I even before I got sick and if you go far enough back in this thread you would see it have always thought disabled people were poorly treated in this country and it was never a case of because it might happen to me(though it now sort of is) I always thought as you said earlier it is more a case of you can tell a person by how he treats others less fortunate then himself.

Despite hating my mothers religious upbringing of me I guess some of it rubbed off on me. Now I am all for saying food tokens and nothing else for the lazy benefit cheating scum in this country and if they die off then great because we are an attractive place for immigration. But you should always help those who have been born with disabilities it is only humane, unless they are Arsenal fans in which case they can fcuk off and die.

It was one of the more 'humorous' episodes in my early working life. People must remember my reaction afterwards was one of amusement, because guy was a dipstick and I could see the it playing out in my head like a python sketch. I actually laughed when said "people will trip over you!" It must have been early 'health and safety' at work looking back. Times have changed which is great. But I had a blast working for myself. Don't like the boring stuff like Banks and Accountants. Funny thing is my Sons an accountant and I ended working for some years in banking recruitment.

Last edited:
So the country vote for something. Then the next general election the leader and the leader of the opposition agree on said thing.

Then a small unelected group of people try and stop it. I went to sleep and woke up in a dictatorship.

Oh GHod, what happened what will they do next

hashtag i miss freedom

So the country vote for something. Then the next general election the leader and the leader of the opposition agree on said thing.

Then a small unelected group of people try and stop it. I went to sleep and woke up in a dictatorship.

Oh GHod, what happened what will they do next

hashtag i miss freedom

I don't think enough Tories will vote for EEA when it comes back to Parliament. There will be a fair few in Labour who won't, so the Tories need enough to cover that whilst joining forces with other Labour MPs, Lib Dems and SNP. When it comes to it, I don't think they will have enough votes.

Customs Union will be a different story though, imo.

I'd be happy with EEA personally, but I don't think it will happen.

I don't think enough Tories will vote for EEA when it comes back to Parliament. There will be a fair few in Labour who won't, so the Tories need enough to cover that whilst joining forces with other Labour MPs, Lib Dems and SNP. When it comes to it, I don't think they will have enough votes.

Customs Union will be a different story though, imo.

I'd be happy with EEA personally, but I don't think it will happen.

I don't think Corbyn will whip the Labour left for a customs union. He is just positioning himself for GE 2022 by pretending not to alienate remainers. May picked him up on it in PMQs - "He has spent an entire career opposing a customs union, now when the British people want to come out he wants to stay in"

I don't think Corbyn will whip the Labour left for a customs union. He is just positioning himself for GE 2022 by pretending not to alienate remainers. May picked him up on it in PMQs - "He has spent an entire career opposing a customs union, now when the British people want to come out he wants to stay in"

I think the party has established the policy re. being in a customs union, so Corbyn will whip them accordingly -- which is low risk because it's something that almost the entire PLP will support bar a handful, so the whip won't really make any difference to the vote, so he may as well do it for cosmetic reasons. And it is likely that enough Tories would support being in a customs union to defeat the government, which is why they have delayed the vote iirc.

I think the party has established the policy re. being in a customs union, so Corbyn will whip them accordingly -- which is low risk because it's something that almost the entire PLP will support bar a handful, so the whip won't really make any difference to the vote, so he may as well do it for cosmetic reasons. And it is likely that enough Tories would support being in a customs union to defeat the government, which is why they have delayed the vote iirc.

Yup. Except Soubry and Grieve are now looking wobbly on CU and prepared to back down in favour of May's mythical customs partnership.

Back