• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

True, again though was that known when it was used? Was it already banned in the United States & Germany? Was the fire in Dubai before or after they put this stuff on? I've had a quick look but not found out yet.

Those are good questions, I'll try and have a look for that myself. There is already a wiki page for Grenfell Tower Fire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

Plans for renovation of the tower were publicised in 2012.[16] Overseen by Studio E Architects,[17] the £8.7 million refurbishment,[18] undertaken by Rydon Ltd, was completed in 2016.[19] As part of the project, in 2015–2016, the concrete structure received new windows and new aluminium composite rainscreen cladding. Two types were used: Arconic's Reynobond, which consists of two, coil-coated, aluminium sheets that are fusion bonded to both sides of a polyethylene core; and Reynolux aluminium sheets. Beneath these, and fixed to the outside of the walls of the flats, was Celotex RS5000 PIR thermal insulation

So, from that, plans in 2012, cladding done in 2015-16.

Later on, on that wiki page:

There have been concerns about the dangers of external cladding since the early 1990s, notably following a fire at flats in Knowsley Heights, Liverpool in 1991.[69] Several major fires in high-rise buildings that saw flames spreading up façades at a devastatingly rapid rate have involved flammable cladding, among them the 2007 fire at The Water Club in Atlantic City, USA, the 2009 Lakanal House fire in Camberwell, London, the 2009 Beijing Television Cultural Center fire, China, the 2010 Wooshin Golden Suites fire in Marine City, Busan, South Korea, the 2012 Mermoz Tower fire in Roubaix, France, the 2014 Lacrosse Tower fire in Melbourne, Australia, and the 2015 fires in Dubai at The Marina Torch and The Address Downtown Dubai

So from that, we can see 4 fires where the cladding was a factor, before the plans in 2012, and a couple more after the plans but before the cladding was put on.

I will try and find out when this type of cladding was banned for use on buildings above a certain height in Germany and the USA, but it seems to me there is enough stuff there, that fire safety experts would know about, so that we should have had similar regulations in place by the time the refurbishment was done.

2012 in the US (see link further up), so about the planning stage.

Which department of government deals with building/fire regs?

This all makes me wonder how many other disasters waiting to happen there are. I just sort of assumed we had the proper regulations for fire safety, I didn't think it was possible, in this country, to put some stuff on the outside of a tower block that isn't safe in the event of a fire.

millions probably, regulations evolve, houses are not retrofitted for each new legislation

2012 in the US (see link further up), so about the planning stage.

Which department of government deals with building/fire regs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_for_Communities_and_Local_Government

Responsibilities
The department is responsible for UK Government policy in the following areas, mainly in England:[7]

How is it an accident if the cladding is flammable and dangerous to the degree that it is already banned in Germany and the USA for buildings above a certain height? Not everything in the world is just "oh well, nobodies fault, nevermind." This is a massive phuck up that would have happened sooner or later and now that it has happened, perhaps the regulations that were not strong enough in the first place will be further strengthened to protect people.
Very good point. Add to that Fire fighting equipment was not suitable for dealing with a fire in a building that high; despite a risk assessment being carried out, no one thought to mitigate for this basic failing by installing internal fire suppressant measures such as sprinklers. In addition to the Building Regulations you have the Health and safety at Work act and Fire safety legislation that could have been properly applied. The poor people on the higher floors were sitting ducks and let down by the ignorance of people who should have planned better. I will be surprised if there are no prosecutions for this.

Do you blame him for the referendum choice/lack of a new settlement with the EU or both

No and Yes. He went off to the CM market saying he was going to get us this and that and failed miserably. As for the referendum i am glad he got us one, but he under estimated the feelings of a lot of the general public and like a lot of so called experts thought it would never end up with a out vote.

Very good point. Add to that Fire fighting equipment was not suitable for dealing with a fire in a building that high; despite a risk assessment being carried out, no one thought to mitigate for this basic failing by installing internal fire suppressant measures such as sprinklers. In addition to the Building Regulations you have the Health and safety at Work act and Fire safety legislation that could have been properly applied. The poor people on the higher floors were sitting ducks and let down by the ignorance of people who should have planned better. I will be surprised if there are no prosecutions for this.

I hope there is, but as usual it will more then likely end up as a cover up.

This detailed insider account of the Tory election campaign from tonight's Standard is well worth a read

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...y-campaign-to-calamitous-effect-a3566796.html

Interesting reading and the tories should keep a hold of it like how the army study previous failures.

Like you Milo I am just a bod who takes an interest in politics, what shocks me is how unproffesional they all are.

I was a labourer than a locksmith, then a maintenace manager for Thompson, taxi driver and than haulage manager. Yet I think I could run a better campaign then they did.

They need to do an urgent review into their social media campaign, because whether we like it or not that is the future.

Can't say I blame her.

In my experience, the very worst thing about politics is the people, they're hideous.

She's been there twice and made things worse each time. When things aren't going your way that can happen but she has no common touch and is a liability at the moment. She made Corbyn look like Princes Diana yesterday.

Seeing what has gone on with grenfal tower...we really cannot allow this appalling brick to continue...capitalism is a failed system and this is another symptom of the cause. Capitalism fraudulently claims to be a system built on merit but at least 90% of the time it isn't. Society is fudged and we need a revolutipn to sort it. Society is truly fudged.

Ouch

DCeKPSmXcAA0exY.jpg

Yeah but that doesn't matter.....it's more conveniant to continue to portray her as the devil incarnate
Tbf Sadiq Khan, the London Mayor was also heckled but he still spoke to the community and the victims. For victims themselves this is not political they are understandly upset and angry. May hasn't helped herself by hiding from the streets. It's been reminiscent of Bush and New Orleans.

What is naughty imho, is the Social Workers Party making political capital out of tragedy and stirring up trouble before all the residents have even been accounted for or the full facts known. Secondly for the fire brigades union to use this opportunity to speak about cuts in their service.

We should focus on the victims at this time and not let other groups exploit this tragedy to further their own cause.

Last edited:
Housing associations are corrupt and full of greedy corrupt clams. Believe me this is based on extensive, direct personal experience..massive abuse and corruption of public funds

Back