• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paul Mitchell - Head of Recruitment and Analysis

Well, yes, that does sound like the sort of story some hack might pull out of their arse. My advice to them would be to put the cork back in the bottle.

Well, yes, that does sound like the sort of story some hack might pull out of their arse. My advice to them would be to put the cork back in the bottle.

Yep, smacks of BS ...

Whatever the reason, we haven't built all this infrastructure based on only one man, part of Mitchell's mandate must of been to put in place a team/structure that can operate without him.

And we also have to give Levy some credit, players, coaching staff, managers have moved on in the last 7+ years and as a general rule we have moved on well.

Tottenham’s head of recruitment quits after dream job turns into nightmare
• Paul Mitchell set to leave White Hart Lane after less than two years
• 34-year-old had worked under Mauricio Pochettino at Southampton

Victor Wanyama, left, was among the latest players brought to Tottenham Hotspur under Paul Mitchell’s watch. Photograph: Scott Barbour/Getty Images

David Hytner

Paul Mitchell has resigned from his post as Tottenham Hotspur’s head of recruitment after he felt his dream job turn into a nightmare. The 34-year-old was prised from Southampton in November 2014 to oversee the club’s recruitment and analysis departments and he followed the manager, Mauricio Pochettino, from St Mary’s to north London.

Mitchell had worked closely and productively with Pochettino at Southampton and the reasons for his decision to leave Tottenham are not linked to any breakdown with the Argentinian.

He had simply had enough at White Hart Lane and the frustrations were so great and the job satisfaction so little that he chose to inform the board of his desire to quit.

It has been suggested that Mitchell struggled to work with the chairman, Daniel Levy, the notoriously hard-line negotiator, who has long taken a hands-on role in player recruitment. Mitchell will now serve a period of notice, which will include the remainder of the summer transfer window. He is a diplomatic but fiery character and, once his mind is made up, there can be no changing it.

On Mitchell’s watch the club have signed eight senior players, with the latest being Victor Wanyama and Vincent Janssen this summer. The stand-out successes have been Toby Alderweireld and Dele Alli but the latter was pushed by David Pleat, the club’s former manager, who continues to act as a part-time consultant to Levy. There have been questions asked over Son Heung-min and Clinton Njie, who arrived last summer for a combined £32m.

Leicester City, who lost their head of recruitment, Steve Walsh, may now attempt to hire Mitchell.

This doesn't sound good at all. Not what we need at the moment. Theses kind of things tend to cause unwanted noise and does not help us in any way. Hope this does not lead to a mass exit. We need the stability the club has had over the last few years.

This doesn't sound good at all. Not what we need at the moment. Theses kind of things tend to cause unwanted noise and does not help us in any way. Hope this does not lead to a mass exit. We need the stability the club has had over the last few years.

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FBeaker.gif

Maybe he had little to do with the bigger and more 'obvious' transfers. Levy as we all know will not suffer those who do not pull thier weight.

Also there is a of lots big money washing round ATM and there will be many looking for the magic recruitment bullet in EPL.

He will not be short of offers.....

Nightmare job? If we lose does he get the blame? If we don't sign a player does he get the blame? Maybe he's not getting the recognition he feels he deserves? Oh I know it's that b***** Levy. Levy out!

Perhaps he has done what he wanted to do when he joined? The dept is set up and the interesting part is done? Maybe he gets bored after a couple of years in a job, i certainly do.

Maybe he has enough money that he doesn't need the hassle?

Perhaps he has done what he wanted to do when he joined? The dept is set up and the interesting part is done? Maybe he gets bored after a couple of years in a job, i certainly do.

Maybe he has enough money that he doesn't need the hassle?

Done his time at one of the Big Four in the City. Getting burn-out, so moves to a small provincial firm in the shires for work-life balance. Very common

Done his time at one of the Big Four in the City. Getting burn-out, so moves to a small provincial firm in the shires for work-life balance. Very common

I have no clue why he has left, ultimately neither do a lot of these people writing about it or the people on here and other sites blaming Mr Levy etc.

Could be one reason, lots of reasons, I am still of the opinion the club is bigger than one individual and we have taken the loss of much more important staff than this guy in the past.

This kind of thing happens when people are not doing what the boss wants and expects of them. "Job satisfaction" gonad*s means Levy wanted more from them, or they didn't deliver = no job satisfaction etc. Levy will be pleased they are off the books. Recruitment is often a process of trial and error. Levy took a while to find the right coach. Will need to find the right scouting personal too. Maybe a setup where it doesn't rely on one person/ team would be ideal.

We'll probably get Les Reed from Southampton, that's where we get most of our players and staff from. Reminds me of the years we bought quite a few Wimbledon players to add some heart, bite and elbows.

I don't see Mitchell as a senior Baldini/Monchi kind of guy at all... I seem him as running a team of kids that analyse videos, he then takes their findings up to the next level and discusses them... but he is not that top level guy. I assume/hope his methods and systems have been well drilled into the rest of the team. It is probably a few complex Excel sheets rather than super-advanced stats. It might be more about WHAT TO LOOK FOR rather than difficulty analysing it.

Remember that post on here 2 weeks ago talking about the number of times a players passes it past other players, taking them out of the game... it had a really stupid name that didn't describe that process... but that is the kind of thing I mean.

Im sorry but this is rubbish

This guy does not come with a HUGE record, his two signings for us of any note are Toby and Wanyama and those were poached jobs from his last role, so what has he done that is fresh at Spurs? Janssen, you can't tell me he spotted a player that no one else looked at after he tore up the league last season, jesus. Alli was a Pleat deal, he pushed the alert button for him as others were sniffing after the Man U game. In fact all the signings including SON came at huge expense, thats not talent spotting, thats just him becoming Comolli.

One question that sticks out for me.......frustrated at Levy for what? Not bank rolling his vision? If he was such a talent spotter these players should be coming in as Kante, Vardy, Maharez etc, he has no signings of that ilk, low prices big impact.

If all he is doing is recommending big names at big prices and getting frustrated at the lack of bank rolling, then he can go.

Going to Leics, not Real Madrid, proves it all

Les Reed is a proper dinosaur in many aspects. Go and read some of Steven Gerrard's thoughts on him and his bullying culture. Reed is more an equivalent of McDermott too.

Im sorry but this is rubbish

This guy does not come with a HUGE record, his two signings for us of any note are Toby and Wanyama and those were poached jobs from his last role, so what has he done that is fresh at Spurs? Janssen, you can't tell me he spotted a player that no one else looked at after he tore up the league last season, jesus. Alli was a Pleat deal, he pushed the alert button for him as others were sniffing after the Man U game. In fact all the signings including SON came at huge expense, thats not talent spotting, thats just him becoming Comolli.

One question that sticks out for me.......frustrated at Levy for what? Not bank rolling his vision? If he was such a talent spotter these players should be coming in as Kante, Vardy, Maharez etc, he has no signings of that ilk, low prices big impact.

If all he is doing is recommending big names at big prices and getting frustrated at the lack of bank rolling, then he can go.

Going to Leics, not Real Madrid, proves it all

I think a lot of his work is analysing the current squad, and particularly the academy, and advising us when we don't need to make transfers.

maybe it works the other way?
perhaps he wants to go somewhere with *less* budget to spend, to prove himself capable of finding smaller/cheaper players that go on to be big stars, making him "better" at his job.
the sorts of players that smaller clubs are more likely to hoover up?

yeah, maybe not. but you never know, he might be frustrated at the number of smaller fee players that we just can't/don't take a chance on.

Maybe he had little to do with the bigger and more 'obvious' transfers. Levy as we all know will not suffer those who do not pull thier weight.

This is my point, take the big money spend out of it (Toby was an Athletico and Wanyama beasted Barce in Champions League) and he was probably asked who is the next 17/18 year old out there that no one knows, where is the next Kante? Thats his job, that is his only job, he isnt the man in the boardroom signing the cheques, coaching the side, he is the man tasked with finding talent, talent that turns from 7m from Southampton, scores 30 goals and joins Real for 80m,

Back