• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paul Mitchell - Head of Recruitment and Analysis

2 years and roughly 10 players in... Arguably none that have been a failure (Njie the jury is out)

I'd say that's a decent run even if he isn't 100% behind them all

Our biggest bargains like Alli and Dier have been in our sights since before he arrived. I can really only think of Njie and now Nkodou as "black box" gems.

Daniel: “I know that, whilst most of our business has been completed, Mitch is keen to ensure we start the season in the best position. We understand & respect his wish to consider new avenues. The priority right now is the final few weeks of the transfer window. Mitch has been with us for 2 years & created a well staffed department & run our recruitment processes for the past 2 years.”

2 years and roughly 10 players in... Arguably none that have been a failure (Njie the jury is out)

I'd say that's a decent run even if he isn't 100% behind them all

He joined us in Nov 2014. I doubt that he had much involvement in the Jan 15 window, which leaves us with seven signings under him. I wouldn't argue with the quality of those.

What we do not know is how much stronger the player identification and analysis is at the club. The other thing that he was meant to bring was better analysis of our opponents and of our own youth players. Again it is difficult for us to comment on this or say how much of an impact he's had.

This calls for one man. It is time for Poch to learn at the knee of the master.

pleat%20david.JPG

If Poch is now manager rather than coach then maybe he has his own plans. Interesting to see how this pans out.

It all seems a bit strange to me. However, I do think the wording that has been used is very deliberate. It seems, on the face of it, to be an amicable separating of ways and the fact is that they are not leaving before the end of the window. They have also built a team and processes that no doubt should be able to work in their absence.

I would imagine that we would get a replacement, but I don't think that this will happen imminently. It's hard to determine just how much of an impact Mitchell and McKenzie have had, but the only thing that we can assess them on are the signings, and I would say that would suggest that they have done a very good job.

Can't imagine that he'd be wanted by Chelsea or Man C given the type of player they sign. Liverpool feels like the most likely destination - they have some money and want to catch-up with us. Other option might be a much smaller club which has suddenly had a pile of Chinese money turn up
England set up?
Ultra analysis so England are less brick

Data Analyst my arse! The guy is a retired player. He gets a team of kids to watch videos.
Use of buzzwords like big data is typical gutter boy stuff.
He's a football man.
He not sitting there with a CART algorithm worrying about underfitting and pruning working out how to improve his Roc curve.

He's got a few kids noting down things he's looking for (that prozone don't do yet) and he's probably getting the amount of times they do it per game and against who. Thats not big data or data analysis.
It's business intelligence though
Statistical analysis might be a better term, although you could argue that excludes any Qualitative data

Our biggest bargains like Alli and Dier have been in our sights since before he arrived. I can really only think of Njie and now Nkodou as "black box" gems.

How do we know that? Were both under 18 England players for example?

Do you think that if Mitchell and Mackenzie had been sh1t hot, with Poch and Levy massively impressed with their player analysis, the club would have given them an irresistible financial package and kept them? I'm sure the club logs and owns their data. And we should have a mechanism to allow a transition to new staff.

As with the thread in the transfer forum, you do wonder whether data analysis delivers on its promise to outperforming humans judging footballing ability. I'm still unsure what data measures exactly. What variables is the data capturing for example?

Last edited:
Could be related to John McDermott's recent promotion to DoF and a shift in focus from fly-in solutions to the academy production line?

Apparently some French paper called La Pocheen is suggesting the fall out was because Poch wants to keep Njie rather than have Nkoudou (who Mitchell was pushing)

Back