• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paris

Of course people returning from Syria is an issue, the same as people returning from parts of east Africa, Pakistan, Afghanistan and various other places is a concern.

I am not aware of any countries that are seriously considering leaving the Schengen zone because of security concerns. The countries that have suspended it have done so temporarily or put additional controls in place for non-EU citizens because the volumes of people coming in or the domestic political climate.
I don't believe it's the open borders letting people in that's a problem, but I suspect it's far easier to get guns/explosives all the way across Europe than to get them across the Channel

I don't believe it's the open borders letting people in that's a problem, but I suspect it's far easier to get guns/explosives all the way across Europe than to get them across the Channel

I agree but it would be impossible to close a boarder that long

Last edited:
It is very sad what happened in France and a concern that before long those freaks will get away with doing something similar in this country, I feel for all the people who lost loved ones in France but also for the family of the police officers responding to the emergency, they must be going through a very long night tonight.

It is very sad what happened in France and a concern that before long those freaks will get away with doing something similar in this country, I feel for all the people who lost loved ones in France but also for the family of the police officers responding to the emergency, they must be going through a very long night tonight.

Sadly, it is inevitable.

Israel says hi ;)

I have the utmost respect for the difficulties that the Israelis' face, even if I do not always agree with the way that they go about countering them. I don not agree that the situations faced by the EU and Israel are similar.

Police have stormed the concert hall and killed two terrorists. Apparently people inside the venue were tweeting that they should attack as the hostages were being executed one by one.

I have the utmost respect for the difficulties that the Israelis' face, even if I do not always agree with the way that they go about countering them. I don not agree that the situations faced by the EU and Israel are similar.

Utmost respect?

Interesting discussion Milo and DFL.Your points are going to be the discussion narratives. The already strong French far-right-wing, and just normal people, will react asking, how can we stop this happening?

The better half said something of note: we live in historically the safest of times. Watch too much 24 hour news and you wouldn't leave your house.

I lived in Paris for 6 months. Know some of these areas. Really feel for the French people. How do you react to something like this? So soon after the previous attacks? Maybe troops on the ground to wipe out ISIS.

The reaction to 9/11 was the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. And you might argue that this today is related to those wars. That the instability caused was a catalyst for ISIS. Is it cyclical?

I think the reason I like football, and posting tripe on here, is so you can forget the serious things for a bit. But this is unprecedented.

Last edited:
Police have stormed the concert hall and killed two terrorists. Apparently people inside the venue were tweeting that they should attack as the hostages were being executed one by one.

This is just horrific. Terrorists have succeeded in turning a capital city into a war zone.

@Superted I was wrong, you were right.

How fudgeing awful it must have been for everyone there.

I've been to Bataclan a few times. It is a tight venue with only two basic ways in and out. It becomes a sweatbox quickly. Horrific. Some people I know lost friends and colleagues there, and two of my pals (one in a band who are meant to be playing Paris on Sunday) were going to go to the show but fell asleep, thus were too late to get there 'on time'...the luckiest of naps.

Just horrific, all of it.

Estimated at 140 and rising... How on earth do you battle a terrorist who wants to die, who see's it as an achievement and noble thing to do? It really makes you question your day to day living. I lived through the 7's and 80's with the IRA attacks in London but this is another level all together

Estimated at 140 and rising... How on earth do you battle a terrorist who wants to die, who see's it as an achievement and noble thing to do? It really makes you question your day to day living. I lived through the 7's and 80's with the IRA attacks in London but this is another level all together
Laugh at them. Ridicule their silly beliefs and whatever it is they like so much about Admiral Ackbar.

But mostly, like we did in the 80s, briefly feel sad for those who died them carry on like nothing happened.

Interesting discussion Milo and DFL.Your points are going to be the discussion narratives. The already strong French far-right-wing, and just normal people, will react asking, how can we stop this happening?

The better half said something of note: we live in historically the safest of times. Watch too much 24 hour news and you wouldn't leave your house.

I lived in Paris for 6 months. Know some of these areas. Really feel for the French people. How do you react to something like this? So soon after the previous attacks? Maybe troops on the ground to wipe out ISIS.

The reaction to 9/11 was the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. And you might argue that this today is related to those wars. That the instability caused was a catalyst for ISIS. Is it cyclical?

I think the reason I like football, and posting tripe on here, is so you can forget the serious things for a bit. But this is unprecedented.

How do you defeat a belief system that is opposed to all others?

I agree - the difficulties they face is unimaginably harder than anything those of us in Europe could imagine.

I just thought that if you need a proper border, get the experts in.

How do you defeat a belief system that is opposed to all others?
Ridicule.

It entrenches the current believers but you can't win them over anyway. Ridicule ensures the next generation sees it for what it is - fairy stories about imaginary friends.

Ridicule.

It entrenches the current believers but you can't win them over anyway. Ridicule ensures the next generation sees it for what it is - fairy stories about imaginary friends.

All for that.

I was referring more to the suggestion of troops on the ground and driving ISIS out of Syria and Iraq. I think that the likelihood is that in time they will morph into another organisation and pop up somewhere else unstable.

Back