• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paris

As i expected (from looking at the video) the guy who did those knife attacks at Leytonstone had mental health issues (i.e. beyond what Scara would refer to religion as being...)

In a black and white case of bombs v nothing i can't see that doing nothing and allowing IS to continue taking hold of regions in the Midfle East would be the better option. At least this time around we have genuine targets and i believe UN approval/support - millions of people are fleeing the middle east seeking refuge from the very people we're targetting, surely it's in everyones interest that action is taken?

Up until Russia got involved the "international community" did stay out of Syria for quite some time. Fingers can be pointed towards the US and others for doing things that caused the instability, but as the conflict grew I really don't think that leaving the situation to sort itself out helped much. I see no reason to think that doing nothing right now will be particularly useful for Syrians or the surrounding countries.

Indeed and a worry for people going out in London, I am taking the lad up to London next Saturday is a family tradition we go up see the lights go to Hamleys and then for something to eat. I know the police try their best but it is always at the back of your mind.

Looked at with some perspective of other causes of death and harm there's not much need for fear. Traffic is much more likely to get you, yet you probably won't be particularly worried about that.

As i expected (from looking at the video) the guy who did those knife attacks at Leytonstone had mental health issues (i.e. beyond what Scara would refer to religion as being...)

Not surprising as you say. The harm caused for those with mental health issues continues to be one of my issues with religion as it exists in the world today.

How many people are not getting help for their mental health issues because it manifests as culturally acceptable religious behavior? Often encouraged instead of help being sought out... It's genuinely difficult for me to think about.

Not for a second going to pretend that I know enough about this specific situation to say anything relevant. But there being mentally ill people who have their delusions, hallucinations or misconceptions confirmed as real by family, friends, religious leaders or a larger society "because GHod" is in my opinion a real source of suffering in the world. People heading down the slippery slope of mental illness need this about as much as someone with a physical illness need to lay outside in the dirty mud on a cold rainy day.

Just to be clear. I'm not saying that the religious are more susceptible to mental illness (I honestly don't know if that's the case or not). Nor am I saying that this particular incidence was particularly influenced by religion. The vast majority if the suffering I'm talking about happens to the person with the mental illness.

If we are all wrong and the bible is not fiction, then I think it very likely that the Devil disposed of GHod a long time ago and is now masquerading as "GHod" influencing all the evil - best disguise ever.

Up until Russia got involved the "international community" did stay out of Syria for quite some time. Fingers can be pointed towards the US and others for doing things that caused the instability, but as the conflict grew I really don't think that leaving the situation to sort itself out helped much. I see no reason to think that doing nothing right now will be particularly useful for Syrians or the surrounding countries.

Looked at with some perspective of other causes of death and harm there's not much need for fear. Traffic is much more likely to get you, yet you probably won't be particularly worried about that.

Not surprising as you say. The harm caused for those with mental health issues continues to be one of my issues with religion as it exists in the world today.

How many people are not getting help for their mental health issues because it manifests as culturally acceptable religious behavior? Often encouraged instead of help being sought out... It's genuinely difficult for me to think about.

Not for a second going to pretend that I know enough about this specific situation to say anything relevant. But there being mentally ill people who have their delusions, hallucinations or misconceptions confirmed as real by family, friends, religious leaders or a larger society "because GHod" is in my opinion a real source of suffering in the world. People heading down the slippery slope of mental illness need this about as much as someone with a physical illness need to lay outside in the dirty mud on a cold rainy day.

Just to be clear. I'm not saying that the religious are more susceptible to mental illness (I honestly don't know if that's the case or not). Nor am I saying that this particular incidence was particularly influenced by religion. The vast majority if the suffering I'm talking about happens to the person with the mental illness.

totally get the point BE, it's a common tactic of all these cults to go after those less able to defend themselves and those with a greater chance of falling for their flimflam, it's been the same since the dawn of religion, the modern day extremists are just the latest ones to read the manual

Again baselessly bashing faith. The family of this individual asked to get him sectioned. How does that fit in to your ignorant narrative of "culturally acceptable religious behavior"

Again baselessly bashing faith. The family of this individual asked to get him sectioned. How does that fit in to your ignorant narrative of "culturally acceptable religious behavior"

I think this illustrates a previous point I've made. Religion has been insulated from criticism for so long that even mild criticism gets labelled "baselessly bashing". I've re-read my post several times and I really struggle to see how describing this as "bashing faith" is a good description. I mainly raise questions and point out potential problems. I can participate in what I would describe as faith bashing, and to some extent I'm starting to think that I might as well if that's going to be the label thrown at me anyway.

You're calling my opinion a "ignorant narrative". I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that this means you've spent at least some time thinking about or researching how mental illness intersects with religion. I can only ask you to expand on your opinion on this issue as you do not present a single counter argument to what I said.

Back