• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

One player from history - 2013/14 edition

If you could pick one player from our history for current team who would it be?

• Total voters
Talented attack minded manager.
Willing to compete on all fronts.
Solid core in defence and midfield.
Bags of flair and potential in attacking midfield, capable of creating from all angles.
Just need a goal machine to churn out 50 goals.

It's 1987 again but there's no Clive Allen :(

Well, I voted for Clive Allen, but maybe Les Allen would have been better. Or {insert name} Allen

Judging by the vote the average age of voters must be mid to late 30's

Is that a reference to the lack of votes for Greaves? Sadly, I have seen little of him other than the odd highlights, admired his record and been in awe of the accounts of people that I know who saw him.

Is that a reference to the lack of votes for Greaves? Sadly, I have seen little of him other than the odd highlights, admired his record and been in awe of the accounts of people that I know who saw him.

I caught the tail end of Greaves' career and feel that you have to pick him any time there is this type of discussion. 220 goals in 321 games justify it even if one could argue that other positions are of greater priority.

First off, in reply to milo's comments about getting FB's in, etc, absolutely. There isn't a player on the pitch who wouldn't benefit.

And El…yes mate…it is hard to overstate what a tremendous all-round footballer Glenn Hoddle was. I see a few players on 100 England caps and it absolutely cracks me up that no-one figured out that a team should've been built around Hoddle between 1980 and 88. he should've been THE central point of a two-player axis (Robson being the other) for Euro 80, WC 82, Euro 84, WC 86, Euro 88…I'd even have found room for him in Italia 90 personally, but there we are, that's me. The man should've won 150 caps without breaking a sweat.

Even a quiet game by his standards saw three or four moments of sublime skill.
He could shoot with either foot from range, pass with either foot from all ranges, control a ball like no-one, drift past people like they didn't exist and had the vision of Superman…

In fact, thinking about it, how did we as a country allow the ****y FA to diddle him as a player AND manager?
I know one thing. if Cloughie had been manager Glenn would've been the centre-piece of it all…

And today? Oh boy…he'd take the ****. Make the likes of Ozil look like Eddie The Eagle Edwards!

Brought a lump to my throat!

When Hoddle was England Coach (no Managers since Venables entered the frame), some of the players voiced their concern that Hoddle thought he was still the best player on the training pitch. They admitted that he went on to prove that he was.

Talking about past players, just realised I don't have any favourite players in the current team. Always have had atleast 1 "favourite" players in the past few years like Ginola, Keane, Mido, Ghaly, Pavly and Bale. But now there is no one who can make you sit back and enjoy watching. Thought Lamela will be the one but he is yet to settle down. Wish Lamela can somehow turn his luck around with us.

^ about half the squad have been in the first team here for less than a season and a half - im sure once we get to know them better you'll have a few favourites to chose from - if Ghaly can make your list then the criterea can't be very high ;)

^ about half the squad have been in the first team here for less than a season and a half - im sure once we get to know them better you'll have a few favourites to chose from - if Ghaly can make your list then the criterea can't be very high ;)

That's what you think. Ghaly is the only Spurs player who made me spend so much time and effort to create video clips for him. Nice to know that even after 6 years, those clips are still up there with the very best.:lol:

[video=youtube;C22FXQjPL6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C22FXQjPL6o[/video]

[video=youtube;G_6HLGalu7U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_6HLGalu7U[/video]

If any Spurs player can create half the chances that Ghaly created in those videos this season, I will be delighted ! He is one of, if not THE, best crosser of the ball I have seen at Spurs for the past 20 years or so. It is a pity he only spend 1 full season with us. I am convinced that if not for the stupid shirt throwing incident, he would have gone on to be a great player for us.

I have gone to over 200 hundred games since 97-98 and I would have to say Ginola closely followed by Modric and Bale. Honourable mentions to Keane and VDV.

I couldnt possibly say Hoddle or Perryman as I have never seen a full match of thiers

Yes my posting was a reference to the lack of votes for Greaves. At the moment we lack goals and he could get them if not him then Chivers. I would have liked to see Hoddle play in a support position but he never did so hard to see if he could.

It was a tossup between Chiv and Greaves for me, it came down to Jimmy being less reliant on service from others.

Considering our team/squad balance, I'd actually go for a bit of a leftfield one - Christian Ziege for LB.

My second thought would be van der Vaart for LF/10.

[video=youtube;C22FXQjPL6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C22FXQjPL6o[/video]

OT, but I watched this video. If youflick to 3:30 there's a cracking piece of half time punditry from David Pleat:

"I would like to see Spurs get the ball to Zokora's feet more... Jenas is the workhorse, but Zokora can makes the play"

:ross:

wow imagine if Pleaty was still our manager with analysis like that. How far we have come

OT, but I watched this video. If youflick to 3:30 there's a cracking piece of half time punditry from David Pleat:

"I would like to see Spurs get the ball to Zokora's feet more... Jenas is the workhorse, but Zokora can makes the play"

:ross:

wow imagine if Pleaty was still our manager with analysis like that. How far we have come

Yeah, now he just advises our chairman on what players to buy

Pleat was a very good manager for us first time up, if Gough and Hodge had stayed and a couple of signings we could have won the league

Absolute no brainer. Not only is Hoddle the best player to ever play for Spurs, he's exactly what we're missing at the moment - a creative CM

We don't need a striker, we need more service... so it has to be Gazza or Hoddle.

It would be amazing to see Gazza play in the #10 role today, pulling the strings, bursting between players, beating a man and driving into the box.

That makes me realise that Eriksen/Holtby do not do this... they do not beat a man and drive into the box to score or shoot or win a pen.

Absolute no brainer. Not only is Hoddle the best player to ever play for Spurs, he's exactly what we're missing at the moment - a creative CM

Would agree with this, best player i have ever seen in a Spurs shirt.

Back