• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

One player from history - 2013/14 edition

If you could pick one player from our history for current team who would it be?

• Total voters

milo

Jack L. Jones
We had a thread on this around this time last season. As our squad this season has changed quite a bit since last year and we have new strengths and weaknesses, I thought that it would be interesting to ask the same question again. So...

...If you could pick one player from our history to fit into and improve (or even complete) our current team who would it be and why?

What we need is that link player between midfield and striker. As my knowledge of the style of players is restricted, if we go back more than 30 years, so I'll say that the contest is between Berbatov, Sheringham and Gascoigne.

I know the other players of teams before that but never quite sure about their style of play. Sheringham and Berbatov could link the play but neither could be the primary striker, unless given the right service. I know Berbatov is like Velcro but even he would need service.

The alternative is to sign a striker that thrives on crosses. Someone who scores plentiful headers and who could benefit from the mediocre, generally, crosses of Townsend, Walker and Lennon.

Gazza for me -- his ability to burst past people in central areas would be brilliant for this team, he'd open up a lot of space for our other players and be able to release them with his dribble 'n' through-ball. And he can take a free-kick.

For this specific team, the best player suited to solve our current problem would be Berbatov from that list. Can hold the ball up and bring others into play, can play with another forward or on his own. Equally happy with his back to goal or facing it. If we had the Berbatov now that we signed in 2006 then we would be joint top of the league.

which of those would be best suited to playing a creative wide left position?

I think it's quite revealing that last season, we thought we'd win the league if we had a goal poacher. Not so easy now that we actually have one, is it?

I know Bale has gone but I'm not too sure, with hindsight, that we'd have had a hugely improved season last year if we had had a goal poacher.

I wonder how we'll look back on this season, next year.

I've just had a Ledley moment and wished that we had him in our team. He wouldn't be the perfect solution but it would be great to have him back, especially if we can have a 100% fit version. With him, JV & Lloris, we'd never concede another goal.

Hoddle…

He would have a free-role in the centre, push on when he wants, drop off when he wants, Sandro and Paulinho can help him with workload…Soldado would score 30 goals with Glennda as the playmaker.

Hoddle…

He would have a free-role in the centre, push on when he wants, drop off when he wants, Sandro and Paulinho can help him with workload…Soldado would score 30 goals with Glennda as the playmaker.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

Back