• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

One player from history - 2013/14 edition

If you could pick one player from our history for current team who would it be?

• Total voters
Hoddle…

He would have a free-role in the centre, push on when he wants, drop off when he wants, Sandro and Paulinho can help him with workload…Soldado would score 30 goals with Glennda as the playmaker.

That was my thinking too. He could pass or dribble through a team that parked the bus.

That was my thinking too. He could pass or dribble through a team that parked the bus.

I think in this side, his speed and quality of pass would be devastating. I think of how many passes he threaded to Crooksie, and imagine Soldado getting service on the deck like that!!!

I think in this side, his speed and quality of pass would be devastating. I think of how many passes he threaded to Crooksie, and imagine Soldado getting service on the deck like that!!!

He'd bring out the best in our inside forwards and attacking full backs too.

I wish that I could remember him play. I only really started getting in to football after Hoddle had hung up his boots. So missed out on his career completely.

Clive Allen - as AVB's instructions seem to be that we are now a pedestrian side rather than "Push & Run" (Arthur Rowe, also Harry), what we need is someone who finds the net not the keeper whenever he gets a chance.

Not necessarily my choice but Roberto and Berba would be lovely! Roberbatov - match made in heaven :lol:

Was edging towards Klinsmann but then I thought, pointless, he wouldnt get the service. So has to be Hoddle, probably just what we need right now

It is close one for me. Definitely needs to be playmaker. And Hoddle is the obvious choice. But I'm not sure how he would fare in the modern, very physical, crowded three man midfield era, with 4-2-3-1 so common. I'd like to think he would still find the space and time to showcase his sublime skill on the ball. And if he did, he would be the player to have.

But I'm going to go with Gazza, because he combined a physical robust energetic approach to the game, with good mobility, great passing skills, dribbling, shooting, goal scoring, set pieces - apart from some wild tackling (and setting aside the personal stuff) Gazza really did have it all.

ive gone for Greaves.....just to prove that even he would struggle to score from open play because of how we are set up and play :)

I wish that I could remember him play. I only really started getting in to football after Hoddle had hung up his boots. So missed out on his career completely.

First off, in reply to milo's comments about getting FB's in, etc, absolutely. There isn't a player on the pitch who wouldn't benefit.

And El…yes mate…it is hard to overstate what a tremendous all-round footballer Glenn Hoddle was. I see a few players on 100 England caps and it absolutely cracks me up that no-one figured out that a team should've been built around Hoddle between 1980 and 88. he should've been THE central point of a two-player axis (Robson being the other) for Euro 80, WC 82, Euro 84, WC 86, Euro 88…I'd even have found room for him in Italia 90 personally, but there we are, that's me. The man should've won 150 caps without breaking a sweat.

Even a quiet game by his standards saw three or four moments of sublime skill.
He could shoot with either foot from range, pass with either foot from all ranges, control a ball like no-one, drift past people like they didn't exist and had the vision of Superman…

In fact, thinking about it, how did we as a country allow the ****y FA to diddle him as a player AND manager?
I know one thing. if Cloughie had been manager Glenn would've been the centre-piece of it all…

And today? Oh boy…he'd take the ****. Make the likes of Ozil look like Eddie The Eagle Edwards!

It is close one for me. Definitely needs to be playmaker. And Hoddle is the obvious choice. But I'm not sure how he would fare in the modern, very physical, crowded three man midfield era, with 4-2-3-1 so common. I'd like to think he would still find the space and time to showcase his sublime skill on the ball. And if he did, he would be the player to have.

But I'm going to go with Gazza, because he combined a physical robust energetic approach to the game, with good mobility, great passing skills, dribbling, shooting, goal scoring, set pieces - apart from some wild tackling (and setting aside the personal stuff) Gazza really did have it all.

AN interesting call because the modern game in that sense is certainly more Gazza-suited, but I'm thinking that Hodd is physically up to the speed of current players in our game here…but intriguing choice because I can see where you're coming from for sure. I'll stick with Glennda ;-)

ive gone for Greaves.....just to prove that even he would struggle to score from open play because of how we are set up and play :)

wouldn't matter with Greaves he'd have the ball of Lloris, stroll forward 80 yards whilst beating 20 challenges and pass the ball into the back of the net

Not exactly a player from history but the one player we have yet to see enough of that seems to have the Hoddle about him is Tom Carroll and think his tendency to always look for a forward and,from what I've seen, a decisive pass could solve both our slowness and lack of chances for Saldardo.

Not exactly a player from history but the one player we have yet to see enough of that seems to have the Hoddle about him is Tom Carroll and think his tendency to always look for a forward and,from what I've seen, a decisive pass could solve both our slowness and lack of chances for Saldardo.

I agree that Carroll could well be an answer, and I hope he does not suffer from the 'numbers' game of being crowded out...

got a friend who knows Carroll and apparently the club/AVB are really keen on him

Would you play Hoddle as the 10?

Hoddle would be an ideal #10 for us and could orchestrate play and set-up chances on a plate for Soldado like what Bergkamp did for that lot up the road.

Glenn Hoddle: One-on-One | FourFourTwo
The midfield legend and former England boss answers FourFourTwo readers' questions.

“I don’t mean this in a big headed way…” says Glenn Hoddle in response to a question during FourFourTwo’s inquisition, but in truth, it would be difficult to be anything but when you have had his talent as a footballer. Though no mean record, two FA Cups, a UEFA Cup, 53 England caps and a French title were scant reward for the most naturally gifted English player of his generation.

...What did Arsene Wenger teach you?

It was enthralling playing for him, I enjoyed every single second. He wanted me to play just behind the striker, which was Mark Hateley. I always felt that was my best position, but I never really played there for England or even during my hey-day at Spurs when I played the right side of a diamond with Ricky Villa behind me. We played as a replica of Arsene’s first Arsenal side; there were two holding midfielders like Petit and Vieira, a flying winger like Overmars and I played in the ‘Bergkamp role’ behind the striker.

Back