• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham vs. Inter Milan

It's funny how Lennon never gets considered when people are deciding who needs a rest? I think it's been that way for years now hasn't it..
People always suggest resting Bale or the centre-mids but never Lennon?

Is it because we've never had decent cover for him?

Partly that and partly because he never seems to tire towards the end of matches.

A scout report on Inter Milan

Last time, we met Inter Milan; we were the underdogs, facing the then European Champions. We faced them without fear, outclassed them and unearthed a star in Gareth Bale and the rest is history.

A lot has changed after that fixture in last 2 years. While we have a largely unchanged core group of players, Inter have gone through a unsuccessful transition period. They sold prime assets like Eto'o, Pazzinni, Sneijder, Coutinho and Motta while bringing in inadequate replacements. The club is under huge financial stress with unsuccessful campaigns. Coach: Andreas Stramaccioni - 37 year old, ex-defender, Rookie manager with no prior management experience. Took over late March 2012 and got them to a respectable 6th in league in 2011/12. Started the season well in 2012/13 with 9 wins in 11 games. But since then, has gone through a terrible phase accumulating just 19 points in 15 matches.

Tactics - His tactics have been scrutinised all year, as many feel he is too conservative for a club of their stature, playing a negative style. He alternates between 3-5-2 & 4-2-3-1 system. Goal Keeper: Samir Handanovic - A highly rated shot-stopper, who is currently in form of his life. He was said to have made 3 miracle stops against Balotelli in the Milan derby game last week and saved them from a certain derby defeat. In the week before, Inter lost to Florentina 4-1, but Handanovic was Inter MOM with pundits describing his performance as saving grace, from a possible humiliating double figure scoreline. As long as the game finishes before Penalties, we need not worry much about him.

Defence : Not the best. Suspect in setpieces. They have lost 7, drawn 1 ,won 1 in their last 9 away Serie-A games. With Veteran defender Walter Samuel injured, they are led by old timers Janier Zanetti & Chivu in the back line with other young defenders like Ranocchia, Juan, Nagatomo. Alvaro Perira at left wing back is real good talent. AVB should know him, being an integral part of his Porto side.

Midfield : Sneijder & Coutinho were sold in January. And they bought Kovacic, an 18 year old Croatian midfielder. He is seen as one of the best young creative midfielders in Europe. But he is still raw and not a regualar in Inter side. Their creative threat is Freddy Guarin & Ricardo Alvarez. Guarin is their chief playmaker, playing behind the 2 strikers. One to watch out for.

Forwards: This is a key department where Inter are falling short at the moment. This season they have largely relied on 3 front men to score - Milito, Cassano & Palacio. Going by Serie A goal scoring chart, Milito is in 15th position, followed by Palacio in 16th spot. Milito has had a season ending knee injury. Then a week back, Cassano had a major training room bust-up with manager. He was then dropped for their last Serie A game against Catania. But the news is some kind of patch up has been done between the manager & the player and he could be in the squad to face us. Their striker shortage is so bad that they were about to recruit the free agent John Carew, only to pull out of the deal as Carew failed medical.

If Cassano & Palacio play together, they should be seen as a threat. Both can play between the lines and trouble our defence. While their forward line can score, but gone are the days of intimidating Eto'o. If our defence is organised on the day, we should be able to deal with them. They had a convincing win over Cluj in Last 32 round, but their league form is far from satisfactory.

They should come in with a bit of posiveness having won their last game 2-3 coming from 2-0 behind. But, having seen some of their games, I would say we should overcome this Inter side home & away. Their coach Stramaccioni is said to be under significant pressure to qualify for CL. So, the question is not how serious we are taking Europa League (it's a big yes from AVB). The right question is how serious Inter are taking Europa League?

Written by sydqcb5

vitalfootball

I dont know how we will play the next few games as I do not think a) our squad is strong enough and b) our players will be able to survive fitness wise all those games. Something has to give even if it is mentally or physically not neccessarily players being dropped etc.

Our injuries are also mounting up which is a bit of a concern.

Just need to use some common sense with the Inter game:

Caulker, Naughton and Gallas should all start at the back

Carroll and Livermore should play CM and I dont think they'll let us down as they'd be playing in their natural positions and both are players who generally wont bomb forward and leave gaps

Holtby and Siggy should be fresh enough

Defoe can easily play and use the game to get back to match fitness

That really therefore just leaves one mid/fwd to pick (ideally Dempsey if he's fit) and one more defender. We can then have the majority of the team which started on Sunday against Arsenal resting up for the Liverpool game

I agree with you regarding Bale; he definitely deserves a bit of a rest. However, keeping his momentum going will probably be motivating for him, and facing the side he tormented so easily in the CL two years ago will also add to that motivation. So it's safe to say he'll be up for this game and deserves to play.

You also make a great point regarding Ferguson, he is the master of rotation. However, one of the ways United ensure that is by building a commanding lead in the first legs of European ties (or the first half of group-stage fixtures) using their best players, so they can then play their second eleven in the second half of the tie/second half of the group.

We should be looking to do the same, imo. Take a commanding lead at WHL, and don't let them score. Then, play a strong defence at the San Siro and defend our lead, relying on quick counters to kill the tie off.

If Bale and co. manage to pull off a good result in the first leg, there's no reason we can't rest them and play the first-team defenders in Italy. Naughton-Gallas-Caulker-BAE in the first leg to hold the fort while Bale, Lennon and co. hopefully score a couple, and Daws, Verts and co. to protect our lead at the San Siro while Bale and Lennon stretch their legs on the bench, ready to come on if things look grimmer than expected.

Its a tricky one....I dont want people to think I dont have a burning passion for us to win this tournament I do.

I do believe that if we are to be a sucess over the course of a season then we have to rotate & rotate well - I was viewing this site last year when there were alot of rumblings that Harry did not rotate well which was one of the contributing factors to us having such a dissapointing final third to the season.

In regards to Lennon of course its easy with hindsight but loaning out townsend might not have been that clever - he could do with a rest as well but who have we got???????he would have been perfect to give Lennon a rest. Also I worry because Dembele and Parker were outnumbered centrally on sunday and will probably be so again against Liverpool - they must have been 'done in' after sundays game.

Basically we get 2 cracks against inter but only one against liverpool! I dont want a slip up in the league I dont want us to give Arsenal a chance/sniff.

So.......

Reasons for rotation particulary the centre mids maybe bale.......

2 opportunities vs Inter 1 against Liverpool
Parker and Dembele nack nacked after sunday....need a rest.
we have good back up in defence - caulker should play and mr gallas should talk him through this game.
Liverpool have had plenty of rest.

OMG string me up to the nearest lampost and shower me in rotten eggs & tomatoes - physically excrement on my well manicured front lawn..........

I forgot the HUDD!

Is he available?????????? if so ..........OMG the shame how could I forget the HUDD!!!!!

It's just not really worked for Hudd in any shape or form this season has it...Needs a fresh start somewhere, even if he was fit I'd have more reason to favour Livermore or Carroll before him.

It's just not really worked for Hudd in any shape or form this season has it...Needs a fresh start somewhere, even if he was fit I'd have more reason to favour Livermore or Carroll before him.

shame really has not improved significantly enough-bad luck with injuries - still if he is not an option then it doesnt matter.

wonderful passing ability - better suited to a three man midfield rather than a 2 to make up for his lack of mobility.

anyway Inter............avb & the line up decision will be very interesting.

Goal Keeper: Samir Handanovic - A highly rated shot-stopper, who is currently in form of his life. He was said to have made 3 miracle stops against Balotelli in the Milan derby game last week and saved them from a certain derby defeat. In the week before, Inter lost to Florentina 4-1, but Handanovic was Inter MOM with pundits describing his performance as saving grace, from a possible humiliating double figure scoreline. As long as the game finishes before Penalties, we need not worry much about him.

I'm a bit confused by this and am not sure if I'm reading it wrong. It spends the whole paragraph explaining how this is an exceptional keeper who has been single-handedly keeping them in games this season and then said we don't need to worry about him unless it goes to penalties?

A goalkeeper like that sounds exactly like the kind of player you should be worried about.

Did Lawro write this? ;)

I'm a bit confused by this and am not sure if I'm reading it wrong. It spends the whole paragraph explaining how this is an exceptional keeper who has been single-handedly keeping them in games this season and then said we don't need to worry about him unless it goes to penalties?

A goalkeeper like that sounds exactly like the kind of player you should be worried about.

Did Lawro write this? ;)

He can be the world number 1 keeper, he still cant stop "The Bale"
If we play with fast players, they dont have a chance with that defence...

Did Lawro write this? ;)

'As long as the game finishes before Penalties, we need not worry much about him.'

Yes, that is what I wrote

Exactly. Because penalties are the only point in the game that relies solely on the goalkeeper.

If you put a crap defense in front of a brilliant goalkeeper then he will still concede lots of goals.

Guarin is another one of the AVB old boys isn't he? I'm sure he'll know all about him too.

Exactly. Because penalties are the only point in the game that relies solely on the goalkeeper.

If you put a crap defense in front of a brilliant goalkeeper then he will still concede lots of goals.

Apart from a game the author himself mentions within his paragraph where Handanovic managed to prevent a defeat against AC.

that's what i used to tell my sunday league team

they didn't buy it

Back