• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT. Tottenham v Rochdale.

This game was a complete disaster for people watching on the TV.
I was VERY optimistic about this.
Unfortunately, The game started at 10.45 pm. our time.

At half time, which was at around midnight, I was VARed out.
Could not wait for the 2nd. half and went to bed.
Obviously, very happy to see the result.

- Value Added Rubbish
- Very Annoying Ref,

Only watched highlights and I was confused as hell!
I'm pro VAR, but have no faith the English can do it properly.

It will, it has made me appreciate just how good the game was now before stupid VAR tampering!
Again, this game was an outlier, but that is exactly what you want when you are testing something out. You want anything that could go wrong to go wrong so when you go ahead with the official implementation you have refined it so it fits in seamlessly.

Again, this game was an outlier, but that is exactly what you want when you are testing something out. You want anything that could go wrong to go wrong so when you go ahead with the official implementation you have refined it so it fits in seamlessly.

As it’s a test, they should realise that it’s a failure & abandon the project.

Haha, this for me too. I dread the day where you can't really celebrate a goal until the officials have deemed it OK.

Chris Foy said on the tv half time commentary - having been challenged about how VAR is only supposed to correct clear and obvious errors - that under VAR every potential game-changing event is reviewed and that as a goal is game-changing, every goal would be reviewed by the VAR. If that's the case then the scenario you describe is not so difficult to imagine.
Having said that Foy seemed so reluctant to say anything that might criticise the decision of either the ref on the pitch or the video ref that I wouldn't necessarily trust what he said as the oracle.

It is nice to get this big win over Rochdale to progress to the Quarter final of the FA Cup. Too bad that we didn't get 1 or 2 more goals as that would have made this our biggest FA Cup win since 1960. Apart from the tense first half, we played well and fully deserved this win. We always have to score first to win and we duly did that. The VAR and the referee almost spoiled it for us by wrongly disallowing 2 goals but we did enough to get this convincing win. It would have been better if Kane had come on and scored a few goals as well.

Credit to Llorente, Son and KWP for the goals. The football world must be in rude shock after seeing Llorente get this unexpected hattrick ! Suddenly Llorente looks like a goal machine as he took all his goals well. Maybe Llorente only scores when it is snowing and VAR makes comedy of errors ! Son scored 2 goals and assisted 1 goal but was very annoyed he wasted the penalty with fancy tricks. Thought the penalty should have been retaken due to infringements but Son gave the ref excuse to rule it by feinting in the run up to the penalty. It was really stupid as he was facing an unknown Rochdale goalie, not De Gea or Buffon ! If he was not very confident to take the penalty, he should have given it to Llorente or Lamela. Thought Lamela was our best player as he had a legitimate goal not given, assisted 2 goals, hit the post from a well-taken freekick and had chances to score 2 or 3 other goals.

Our midfield had a decent match but was not really tested by Rochdale. Sissoko and Winks had a mixed match, playing well in patches but making many mistakes as well. Really expected more from Sissoko but he didn't help our attack much. Moura played well and assisted 2 goals. Like Lamela, Moura will be disappointed he didn't score at least 1 goal. Credit also to Alli for coming on and assisting the goal for KWP.

Our defence are not the same when Alderweireld and Vertonghen are not playing and so it was proved yet again. It was always risky having error-prone Dier and Foyth in defence and we conceded another soft goal. It is annoying that we conceded 3 goals in 2 matches against Rochdale. We need to improve our defending if we want to win a trophy this season. Well done to KWP for scoring his first ever goal for us.

We have been very fortunate with the luck of the draw by getting weaker teams in the FA Cup so far. But we need to play much better when we face Swansea in the Quarter finals. Let's hope we will lift our game and go all the way to win the FA Cup this season.

It is nice to get this big win over Rochdale to progress to the Quarter final of the FA Cup. Too bad that we didn't get 1 or 2 more goals as that would have made this our biggest FA Cup win since 1960. Apart from the tense first half, we played well and fully deserved this win. We always have to score first to win and we duly did that. The VAR and the referee almost spoiled it for us by wrongly disallowing 2 goals but we did enough to get this convincing win. It would have been better if Kane had come on and scored a few goals as well.

Credit to Llorente, Son and KWP for the goals. The football world must be in rude shock after seeing Llorente get this unexpected hattrick ! Suddenly Llorente looks like a goal machine as he took all his goals well. Maybe Llorente only scores when it is snowing and VAR makes comedy of errors ! Son scored 2 goals and assisted 1 goal but was very annoyed he wasted the penalty with fancy tricks. Thought the penalty should have been retaken due to infringements but Son gave the ref excuse to rule it by feinting in the run up to the penalty. It was really stupid as he was facing an unknown Rochdale goalie, not De Gea or Buffon ! If he was not very confident to take the penalty, he should have given it to Llorente or Lamela. Thought Lamela was our best player as he had a legitimate goal not given, assisted 2 goals, hit the post from a well-taken freekick and had chances to score 2 or 3 other goals.

Our midfield had a decent match but was not really tested by Rochdale. Sissoko and Winks had a mixed match, playing well in patches but making many mistakes as well. Really expected more from Sissoko but he didn't help our attack much. Moura played well and assisted 2 goals. Like Lamela, Moura will be disappointed he didn't score at least 1 goal. Credit also to Alli for coming on and assisting the goal for KWP.

Our defence are not the same when Alderweireld and Vertonghen are not playing and so it was proved yet again. It was always risky having error-prone Dier and Foyth in defence and we conceded another soft goal. It is annoying that we conceded 3 goals in 2 matches against Rochdale. We need to improve our defending if we want to win a trophy this season. Well done to KWP for scoring his first ever goal for us.

We have been very fortunate with the luck of the draw by getting weaker teams in the FA Cup so far. But we need to play much better when we face Swansea in the Quarter finals. Let's hope we will lift our game and go all the way to win the FA Cup this season.

The draw is what it is

Arsenal always got non league and championship teams focussed on other things

Such is life

As it’s a test, they should realise that it’s a failure & abandon the project.
With that kind of thinking there would never have been any progress in any field of human endeavor. Nothing works perfectly right off the bat. It's failures that led to improvements that led to us now having things such as, oh I don't know, electricity, flight, computers, automobiles...

And @Daisuk you can't like both my original post and @El Guepardo 's response!!! :p

With that kind of thinking there would never have been any progress in any field of human endeavor. Nothing works perfectly right off the bat. It's failures that led to improvements that led to us now having things such as, oh I don't know, electricity, flight, computers, automobiles...

And @Daisuk you can't like both my original post and @El Guepardo 's response!!! :p
Exactly. You dont create anything without continuous testing, implementing improvements, testing again, over and over. With it working in both cricket and rugby league I have no doubt it will in football too, will just need to give it another year or two before we look back and wonder what all the fuss was about....

Exactly. You dont create anything without continuous testing, implementing improvements, testing again, over and over. With it working in both cricket and rugby league I have no doubt it will in football too, will just need to give it another year or two before we look back and wonder what all the fuss was about....

And have to stand and watch the games in the meantime that end up being the farce it was the other night?

Football is good, people moaning over decisions after seeing 10 ultra slomo replays to see someones knee is offside are bad.

Serious fudgeups are very rare.

Would rather ban instant replays than introducing var

#its everything to all people who want it in, Liverpool fans who like VAR believe it would have meant our penalties would not be given, while our fans who want it think it would stop their crying.

Its gains are not worth it's costs.

And have to stand and watch the games in the meantime that end up being the farce it was the other night?
Unfortunately, this is nothing new it’s happened in other sports - just because football is the biggest sport doesn’t mean it’s immune from teething problems introducing technology. You don’t have to stand and watch anything if it’s that unbearable for you....

See, I can! One part of me really wants var to work, and the rational part in me tells me we should just test it and give it time, but the passionate football fan in me would like for it to fudge off. :p

Article in the Times by Jimmy McNulty, Rochdale defender by night, corner-cutting maverick detective with the Baltimore PD by day. Or perhaps it's the other way round. Anyway, here's what he had to say about our boys:

Ultimately, we were well beaten by better men — Heung-min Son’s sharpness was terrifying, Fernando Llorente was an immovable object, and in one instance Lucas Moura changed direction and glided past me as if he had no bones in his limbs. But shaking their hands at the final whistle I knew we had gained their respect, that for three halves of football we had matched Spurs.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...story-though-i-nearly-didnt-make-it-brdrqbdzx

Back