• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Jurgen the German's favourite team ***

We didn't create enough. But Liverpool created very little between their disallowed goal early on and 0-1. We were sloppy in possession and it cost us (needles corner to give away). Overall play in the first half was alright, but lacking quality in central midfield with Dier and Dembele having poor games.

After they scored they looked more dangerous on the break as we had to push forward, that's to be expected imo.

Some sloppy, some good, overall not quite good enough. We don't concede the first goal and it's a different game imo.

On the flip side, we can equally say that Liverpool didn't play that well in attack and could have quite easily scored 4 or 5 goals today. That should be a big concern for us.

Today, we looked like Arsenal of the past few seasons imo. Periods of possession, quite toothless and comfortably despatched by the opposition via our own stupidity and casual play.

Very little to feel positive about with that. Dembele and Dier were -as has been said- poor. I thought Toby was sluggish. Eriksen is in a rut. Kane needs a rest. I think we should try Gazzaniga against Brighton, he cannot be worse than Vorm who is basically spam. I think Poch has to step up here and send Harry on a tropical holiday (start Sonny), start Lamela and bring Sanchez back in. If Wanyama actually is near full fitness perhaps step him up in place of Dier for a couple of games.

If we’d have got a last minute equaliser off a pen, it would’ve been very very undeserved.

I think the worst thing is that it all feels a bit “blah”...I think the stadium stuff has seriously derailed us.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Dier has been awful for a couple of seasons now, do not know if it is being moved about and not being able to keep a settled position or something else.

Makes you wonder about Amos, did ok in pre season and in a glimpse of a match he played. He seems what we need, energy and passion and desire. Sure he might make a few positional mistakes but cant be much worse then the first team right now.

Sort of think the same about bringing in Sterling upfront to give Kane a rest.

Dier has been awful for a couple of seasons now, do not know if it is being moved about and not being able to keep a settled position or something else.

Makes you wonder about Amos, did ok in pre season and in a glimpse of a match he played. He seems what we need, energy and passion and desire. Sure he might make a few positional mistakes but cant be much worse then the first team right now.

Sort of think the same about bringing in Sterling upfront to give Kane a rest.

Verts and Toby are comfortable, not going to get dropped are they, who is the to bring in? why shoulder they bother defending against headers?

We didn't create enough. But Liverpool created very little between their disallowed goal early on and 0-1. We were sloppy in possession and it cost us (needles corner to give away). Overall play in the first half was alright, but lacking quality in central midfield with Dier and Dembele having poor games.

After they scored they looked more dangerous on the break as we had to push forward, that's to be expected imo.

Some sloppy, some good, overall not quite good enough. We don't concede the first goal and it's a different game imo.

Agree with this but you won't convince many who are insistent we were absolutely fudging awful and pool were absolutely un - fudging - real of truly epic proportions!

LOL

It's such a shame eh, how different it c,ould of been without so many unforced major mistakes! Completely undermined everything we tried to do and any hope of winning.

Nearly all their chances and both their goals came from said major unnecessary silly mistakes by us.

I maintain that Spurs beat Spurs today and Liverpool were the gleeful beneficiaries!

Agree with this but you won't convince many who are insistent we were absolutely fudging awful and pool were absolutely un - fudging - real of truly epic proportions!

LOL

It's such a shame eh, how different it should have been without so many unforced major mistakes! Completely undermined everything we tried to do and any hope of winning.

Nearly all their chances and both their goals came from said major unnecessary silly mistakes by us.

I maintain that Spurs beat Spurs today and Liverpool were the gleeful beneficiaries!
Yup. And small differences. Wijnaldum scorings hos first career away goal versus Moura missing an easy chance. Verts concedes a corner (doesn’t hit the post and bamboozle Vorm) and Lamela making cleaner contact.

Oh, and getting a penalty. Oh well.

Verts and Toby are comfortable, not going to get dropped are they, who is the to bring in? why shoulder they bother defending against headers?
This whilst an over exaggeration is true and a massive reason why we should have made some signings in the summer. Too many of this squad has been here a long time in footballing terms and got all too comfortable, regardless of their abilities they need some fresh talent to push them and take them out of their comfort zone.

The most frustrating thing for me was that after the Watford performance you would have put your house on there being a big reaction, normally a big game like this is ideal for that. Instead we served up a very limp display.....

On the flip side, we can equally say that Liverpool didn't play that well in attack and could have quite easily scored 4 or 5 goals today. That should be a big concern for us.

Today, we looked like Arsenal of the past few seasons imo. Periods of possession, quite toothless and comfortably despatched by the opposition via our own stupidity and casual play.

Yes very much a Wenger arsenal like performance.

For people who like data, I've counted up the minutes played by today's two starting XIs over 16/17, 17/18 and the WC. (This includes domestic European competitions, but not domestic cups or international friendlies):

upload_2018-9-15_17-24-33.png

I can't help but feel sure that the sheer amount of football that many of our players have been playing, coupled with the relative lack of energising fresh blood in the squad, has contributed to today's performance and will continue to affect us for the rest of the season. Especially when you consider the intensity of our training and pressing style. I think Dier, Eriksen and Kane in particular seriously need a rest. Vertonghen is a beast and seems to continue to play well - perhaps it's different for a CB.

Quite depressing, as I'm just not sure our squad is deep enough to cope with resting top players.

That is far too generous a summation. We were rank bad all over the pitch. Not a single positive apart from maybe Moura and the introduction of Lamela ( too late as usual!). We were poorly set up - two full backs playing high up with only Verts and Toby left exposed. Liverpool could and should have had a hatful. Really bad day at the office.

We looked mentally drained today! We looked beaten before we kicked off.
So much negativity around the club is not helping.

There where no surprises today except how close the result actually was in the end.

There are no quick fixes.

I am interested to see how many people think this squad of players has not maxed out and we have seen the best of it

I think we have overperformed and punched above our weight for the last few seasons. We can’t continue doing this without fresh input. As Souness said, we have stood still while our main competitors have bought well and improved.

I think we have overperformed and punched above our weight for the last few seasons. We can’t continue doing this without fresh input. As Souness said, we have stood still while our main competitors have bought well and improved.

Agree. It annoyed me after the game that they kept talking as if we were going to fall short in our target of winning the league, as if that were a real target. I know some people mentioned it after the Man Utd game but is that a serious internal target?

For people who like data, I've counted up the minutes played by today's two starting XIs over 16/17, 17/18 and the WC. (This includes domestic European competitions, but not domestic cups or international friendlies):

View attachment 4992

I can't help but feel sure that the sheer amount of football that many of our players have been playing, coupled with the relative lack of energising fresh blood in the squad, has contributed to today's performance and will continue to affect us for the rest of the season. Especially when you consider the intensity of our training and pressing style. I think Dier, Eriksen and Kane in particular seriously need a rest. Vertonghen is a beast and seems to continue to play well - perhaps it's different for a CB.

Quite depressing, as I'm just not sure our squad is deep enough to cope with resting top players.

Thanks for this.

It’s the WC minutes that are so telling for me. Can’t be many squads/first 11’s that had more. That for me alone would have been reason to look for an addition or 2 (that maybe didn’t feature in the WC). I’d be surprised if we don’t dip in in January.

LOL

It's such a shame eh, how different it c,ould of been without so many unforced major mistakes! Completely undermined everything we tried to do and any hope of winning.

We made mistakes today for the most part because they smothered us and cut off any options. Liverpool were good, they didn’t allow us to settle and played on the fact that we were clearly apprehensive about committing too many forward and letting them space to destroy us with their pace.

In the first half, we couldn’t get out without hitting long balls for the most part (bar a 10 minute spell before they scored).

They may not have been at their best but they were light years ahead of us today.

Though I agree you have to over pay a little in this market, I ought to tell you any criticism of Levy on this site is meet with a bile of hatred, so be prepared.

He is a good chairman but the have been so many articles over the years where people who have dealt with him have said it is impossible to conclude transfers quickly. It is not always in our favour either like his fan boys would tell you. We have over spent on some absolute rubbish(as do all clubs to be fair) and kept players like Gomez, Bentley, Llorente around for years because we ask to much in transfer fees and end up paying a fortune in wages while never really playing players.

The have been so many quotes and articles over the years I am not prepared to go and find them nor do I keep them in a folder on my laptop under the title Levy is not the genesis some think he is. Because I am not that sad.

I have a mate who is a well known journo (well he’s my brothers mate) and 10 years ago he was telling me that Levy is horrible to deal with. He was apparently bounced out of Madrid when he tried to do a deal for one of their players because of the amount of clauses he wanted to put in the contract. There are a lot of stories out there like that.

And I’ve no real problem with him doing that. It’s his job. But he can’t expect to impose his Levy-tax on sales and not occasionally have to pay over the odds himself. He is obviously a great negotiator but you can’t always get the price you want.

Back