• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Internazionale

Sorry mate but that argument doesn’t wash anymore. Our best players and new signings are always going to want big wages and/or pay increases. It’s up to the club to decide who deserves top dollar and who doesn’t. Same in any business really. Kane wants £300k a week? Ok. Ben Davies or Sissoko want £250k? Jog on boys.

That's not what happens. It's about the scale. If Kane becomes 300k a week, that means the level slightly below him (I assume Eriksen and Lloris) becomes 250/275, Sissoko becomes 150, KWP becomes 40 etc.

I'm struggling to think of a player, other than Sanchez, who has made an immediate impact under Poch.

Think that’s a Poch weakness.

No other club has this issue

Toby/Wanyama/Son came straight into side

Also signing those players before pre-season would help

Personally I love the place, everything is so bloody convenient.

As for the players, I return to you to my earlier point, they should be mentally conditioned to ignore anything other than the game they are playing in, they shouldn’t be able to recognise a difference between one man and a dog or a hundred thousand baying Chelsea fans. If they can, we’ve failed to prepare them.

OK.
I don’t disagree but we are where we are and I think it is a factor.
People laughed when I said the pitch at Wembley was a factor, and it was!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Poch isn’t perfect but more than happy with him for the next couple of seasons. My only real doing about him is our inability to win the crunch games at the end of the season. We seem to freeze far too often when teams grit their teeth against us or when the pressure is high. The players have to shoulder responsibility too but there must be a reason why we don’t win the bigger games?

Not at all, compare that to the pressure on the other top 6 managers it’s nothing.

Jose is under pressure after winning stuff
Pep is under pressure to win the CL
Klopp the league

We are under pressure (correctly with this squad) to win the league cup

I think you're seeing something entirely different to me if you think Klopp and Liverpool have been under more pressure than Pochettino and Spurs to win a trophy these past few years - I'm genuinely flabbergasted here.

If anything i predict the external pressure to drop off after our lack of summer activity and the media to be focussing on Liverpool City and a resurgent Chelsea

Last edited:
Don’t agree. Moura was fine without Lamela, defending set pieces aside, in fact our best player. Taking Kane off was more crucial as we didn’t have anyone up with Moura and they had less of a threat from us. I love Lamela but we overplay his importance. The focus needs to be on our defending which has gone to pot.

If the result of our last two games were taking from the minutes that Lamela was on the pitch we’d have won both of them.

Think that’s a Poch weakness.

No other club has this issue

Toby/Wanyama/Son came straight into side

Also signing those players before pre-season would help

Or it's a strength when they come good and fit our system. None of the managers we are comparing him against are working on his budget.

Stick with the journey. Think long term. We are in a tough moment right now but the investment in the stadium will pay off for us way beyond this bad period or this season. Chelsea and Arsenal haven't spontaneously combusted as clubs for playing in the Europa League, and neither will we if we have a new stadium to allow us the wage budget to maintain a big squad to compete again.

We will still probably finish top 6 this year at worst, and next season we will have a great new stadium to play in from the off. We will be closer to being a real top club. I think we could risk it all on a great season here or there, but the fact is when you are competing with not just one but 5 other clubs that have more money than us, we may still end up finishing 3rd or 4th even if we really 'go for it', so strategically, I think the right move has been to do what we have done.

It's hard to pull up from the pain of a loss and realise where we are going, but I still think we are on the right track. And I actually feel way more positive after tonight than after the Liverpool game. Because we went to a tough European ground and not many people could argue that we didn't deserve to win that game. We competed again, and if we keep on this track we will be ok. And if we keep on in the top 6, we will remain competitive and keep on the upward track we are as a club.

I like your posts even though I don’t always agree and I don’t agree with some of this.

Like a lot of fans, you’re almost inferring that this was a “risk it on one season or think long term” choice. We could have both.

If we don’t make CL, if we go out in the group stages this year and if Eriksen, for example, runs down his contract because we’re not progressing, we are going to lose more than we have saved by not splashing out on a couple of players this summer. I honestly believe we could have added a couple, made a strong statement and strongly improved our chances of doing well this season without risking our future if it still didn’t work out.

Levy has put all his eggs in the long term basket. I really hope I’ll look back in 10 years and say he got it right.

That's not what happens. It's about the scale. If Kane becomes 300k a week, that means the level slightly below him (I assume Eriksen and Lloris) becomes 250/275, Sissoko becomes 150, KWP becomes 40 etc.

That will always happen and you have to manage that but that’s not a valid reason not to go and sign players who may improve us.

Is it me or is substitutions one of Pochs biggest weaknesses?

Always think that and then he does something decent to change my mind

It’s the constant change do formations that annoy me

I don’t think we have played the same system for more than 60 minutes of a game

If the result of our last two games were taking from the minutes that Lamela was on the pitch we’d have won both of them.
But over the last two seasons we have been fine without him. He is a very good option to have and I love him but he is not the game changer people make him out to be.

I think you're seeing something entirely different to me if you think Klopp and Liverpool have been under more pressure than Pochettino and Spurs to win a trophy these past few years - genuinely flabbergasted here...

Liverpool are always under more pressure than Spurs as they are a bigger club

Lamela was the one for me. He was linking well with Moura and causing them all sorts of problems. Moura was in the game less after he went off.

I thought lamelas play was poor but his work rate was fine

But taking off an attacker for a midfielder is inviting pressure

Taking off a CF for a left back is criminal

That said, it's doubtful that he would've been able to do much about the equaliser. Our hard work was undone by a wonderful strike, not poor substitutions, changes in formation, the manager or lack of heart.

OK.
I don’t disagree but we are where we are and I think it is a factor.
People laughed when I said the pitch at Wembley was a factor, and it was!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think it’s fine to point out that we can’t afford the same players as City or Madrid, but we have no excuse when it comes to scouting and coaching infrastructure, that’s where we can find an edge, that’s where we can fail.

(Clearly not a direct retort to your point and not meant as one)

That will always happen and you have to manage that but that’s not a valid reason not to go and sign players who may improve us.

It absolutely is a valid reason. It's the whole reason we have a wage budget. It's the whole reason the club is in good financial health. It's the whole reason we have a platform that enables us to build a stadium etc.

Take for example, Sadio Mane. Liverpool signed him because they could offer him 125k per week, and at the time our highest earner will have been Kane or Lloris on anywhere from 80-100k. If we sign Mane on 125, that means Kane and Lloris at the time would have gone to at least 150. And then every other player's agent demands more because the scale has increased. Players get annoyed, unrest starts, and the club either relents and puts themselves on a more risky financial footing or they refuse everyone else which creates friction in the dressing room, because we've given a good player but not our best player the top earning. And as soon as they can, our actual best players would jump ship, because they have no loyalty at this point.

It's hard to see that when things are going bad, alternatives over the mid-long term might not actually be better strategic decisions, even though they will be different.

Back